Lipitor goes generic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceemike

I would imagine that there are a number of Framily members who, like me, take Lipitor.  As of Dec. 1, generic versions of Lipitor became available.  To counter the competitive advantage of lower price that generics have, Pfizer has lowered the price of Lipitor drastically.  If you're interested you can go to a website called Lipitor For You & get a Lipitor $4.00 Co-Pay card.

I did it today & I'm supposed to get a 90 day supply for $12.00.  YMMV.

Mike Wagner

Wonder if VA will start using it now. When Mike started getting his meds from VA, they switched him from Lipitor to Simvastatin which is a generic. Seems they don't like non-generics.

Wendy

Wendy, I read that the generic Atorvastatin's availability may be limited for the first 6 months because only 2 companies are allowed to sell it.  After that more companies can make & sell the generic version.  The VA may not be able to get enough of the generic version right away. 

I'm not switching to the generic for now because a $12 co-pay for me is cheaper than a generic co-pay through my insurance.

Mike Wagner

VA will use whatever they can get the most of at the cheapest price, regardless of pill dose. They're famous for giving you higher dose tablets than you need and supplying a pill cutter so you can cut them down to size. Saves money for them and works ok if the folks taking the pills pay attention.

Wendy

I was taking Lipitor and having lots of leg cramps.  One leg cramp was so bad it tore one of my thigh muscles.  When the VA changed me to Simvastatin my leg cramps stopped.  I am a fan of the VA.  And yes, I do have to cut a few meds in half.

JD

The Lipitor generic is still quite expensive, so the VA will stay with simvastatin.  It will be several months before we see prices come down.  Pfizer can make Lipitor very cheaply and that is why the $4.00 copay card.  A lot of insurace companies are still only paying for Lipitor as Pfizer will give them a large kickback making it cheaper for the ins companies to pay for Lipitor.  It remains to be seen if ins companies will pass some of that savings to the consumer.  I do expect the generic price to eventually get to simvastatin prices but most likely that will be
several months down the road.  I don't know for sure, but my guess is that Pfizer is still making the raw chemical and other companies buy it from them to make the generic tablets .  By the way, I a pharmacist and must work another 6 years before I can really enjoy my 5er.

I would advise anyone taking statins to look up a link between statins and interstitial lung disease. was on 80mg for 6 years when I developed 2 "spots" on lungs, leg pain (maylgia) dry cough and shortness of breath. Stopped taking it but damage is done.  In short..3 years later I am being evaluated for lung transplant and applying for disability and may have to sell RV. Please don't let me get started on the effects of Lipitor it has killed me. Don't take my word for it....look it up.

Catblaster- sorry to hear of your experience with Liptior.  Be aware all statins can have the same side affects.  Make sure if you are on statins to get a yearly check-up and report any muscle problems.  Muscle issues usually show up 1st, but lung and liver problems also occur.  MD's do schedule appointments yearly-not to keep their  income but keep track of your health.  Everything you eat or drink has pluses and minuses.

The DW has taken Lipitor for many years.  Early this year she started suffering muscle cramps & they got progressively worse.  The doctor told her to stop taking the Lipitor last month & within 2 days the cramps stopped.  She goes back to the doctor later this month.  It'll be interesting to see if he switches her to another statin like simvastatin. 

Catblaster, sorry to hear about your problems with Lipitor.  So far so good with me but my doctor makes me come in every year for a checkup before he renews my Lipitor. 

Mike Wagner

My Doctor originally prescribed Lipitor a number of years ago but switched me to Lovastatin because of the difference in cost. He will switch me back when the generic is available. Called my insurance company yesterday about pricing of Lipitor and was told that, because of supply issues and the generic not being available in it's affiliated pharmacies, there has been no change and they won't make it a tier 1 (generic) prescription until it is readily available.

I really am reluctant to join this discussion. All I can say is BEWARE of all statins.

I am living proof of what can happen to a statin and blood pressure regimen. I am now virtually crippled.
Two broken legs (Femurs) from simple falls and hypo-tension (Low blood pressure). All over prescribed/not necessary as it turned out.

My story is rather long, spanning about 10 years.  Never again. The doctors were no help at all, no warnings were issued except for the small print on the side-effects.

The doctors won't even listen to my story, which I can document fully. Guess they know something that makes them feel vulnerable.

Too late now; just have to live with it.

Carson FL

For me, Lipitor did the best at controlling LDL. However, deleting all sugar except in fresh fruit has finally lowered the LDL to 70 ( still taking the Lipitor).

Found out about the sugar connection last spring in NYT article "Is sugar Toxic?" and viewed the video by UCSF neuroendrocrinologist who explains how fructose (glucose + fructose=sucrose) is only metabolized by the liver where it is converted to LDL and released into the bloodstream!
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=all

Found this out way to late to stop the damage, But hope to get a few more years by avoiding sugar.

Russell, You just cost Mike his sugar fix. No more Julian pie and cookies for us. Good thing we're in southern California where there's lots of good fresh fruit :)

Wendy

I've had the same problems with sever leg cramps with satin drugs,, I have found that satins cause "MAGNESIUM DEPLETION" in your system. I use " over the counter" 250mg. magnesium supplements and have been cramp free for six monthes.>>>Dan  (Google: magnesium rich foods )

I was originally on simvastatin, but it caused muscle pains when riding a bike. I was switched to Crestor and, while it wasn't as bad, I still had the pains. Doc finally switched me to Red Yeast Rice, 600 mg twice a day, and the pains are pretty much gone (there are other pains not related, though) -- it's non-prescription, too.

I guess I'm the exception here when it comes to tolerating modern medications.

I take provastatin (simply because it is a generic), but have taken Lipitor, Zocor, Crestor and several other statins over the years.  They all work about the same (for me) and none have had any adverse side effects.  I also take Niacin daily to help lower the LDL and also raise the HDL.

I have a complete physical yearly to monitor the heart, liver and lung functions as I also have Atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure, so need to take the medicines (coumadin, metoprolol and diuretic(s)) associated with that.

I'm not a snacker , nor do I have a "sweet tooth", so controlling my sugar intake is not difficult.

I prefer my sugar distilled into alcohol and diluted with a few ounces of diet tonic. ;) :D

I'm with Carson!! Docs think I'm crazy....you figure it out, 6 years on statins= 5 stents, 3 years on no chol meds= 0 stents. My last echo 2 mos ago my doc said my heart is fine.....your lungs are killing you. No crap doc.  By the way ALL my liver tests had always  come back fine when on statins. Sorry again, I guess my steroids are kicking in  :'(

Russ,

Thanks for posting the information about sugar.  I think the DW will find that very useful. 

Lou, couldn't agree more.  ;D

Mike Wagner

ceemike said:
The DW has taken Lipitor for many years.  Early this year she started suffering muscle cramps & they got progressively worse.  The doctor told her to stop taking the Lipitor last month & within 2 days the cramps stopped.  She goes back to the doctor later this month.  It'll be interesting to see if he switches her to another statin like simvastatin. 

Catblaster, sorry to hear about your problems with Lipitor.  So far so good with me but my doctor makes me come in every year for a checkup before he renews my Lipitor. 

Mike Wagner
  yea Mike I had those check ups also ...yearly echo and nuclear

catblaster said:
I'm with Carson!! Docs think I'm crazy....you figure it out, 6 years on statins= 5 stents, 3 years on no chol meds= 0 stents. My last echo 2 mos ago my doc said my heart is fine.....your lungs are killing you. No crap doc.  By the way ALL my liver tests had always  come back fine when on statins. Sorry again, I guess my steroids are kicking in  :'(

You don't suppose that a previous life style, or just genetics, may have caused the need for the 5 stents and that maybe, without the statins, that same period of time may have required additional stents?  AND that the five stents may be the main reason why you no longer need statins and additional stents?  ??? DUH!!

I know there are a lot of doctors that like to play God, but it can be very dangerous for the smartest RVer to try to play doctor, too. ;) :D

Kinda gives the phrase, "take care of yourself" a whole new meaning :-\

My point would be that it is unwise and unhelpful for any one of us to use our interpretation of our own medical experiences to influence others to blindly ignore or countermand their doctors advice.

Modern medicine and expertise has saved my life so many times that I don't give medical advice to anyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom