Lippert Leveling Jacks make "popping sound"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandGuy

I have been hearing "popping" and it seems they are coming from the leveling jacks...when inside and walking around sometimes you will hear a "pop" and other times I have been sitting outside and I hear a "pop"...of course this happens when the jacks are extended.
I called Lippert and they referred me to a document they have:

http://lci1.com/assets/content/support/technical-information-sheets/0295.pdf

You remove some hydraulic fluid and replace with one of the anti-stic fluids they recommend...supposedly the Caterpillar fluid works the best...anyone hear of this or have done this procedure....and if so did it help?

When we experienced that "popping" with our last MH, it was the sound the jacks made when one of them was slowly leaking fluid back into the tank past a  leaky solenoid.  It totally freaked out the DW and the dog when it would happen.  I finally tracked down the correct solenoid, but it took a while. 

I did the procedure recently and don't think it helped. I have also sprayed the jacks with silicone which I felt was somewhat effective. The most effective thing I have found is to get the coach as level as possible with boards under the tires and then operate the jacks in manual mode so that you just put enough pressure on them to take the wiggle out.

Yikes!  Leveling a 42 foot coach with boards is not my idea of fun.  Why have a leveling system if you can't use it?

Just for ducks try leveling the coach automatically, then extending each leg just a little bit. So that the last thing the leg did was extend under pressure.  I'm thinking that may solve the striction/popping problem.

It's a PITA to do but perhaps spraying them with silicone before retracting every time might help as well.  (someone should make dust boots for these things!)

My Lippert leveling system made a "pop" and dropped about a gallon of hydraulic fluid on the driveway.  One of the 45' hydraulic rear hoses popped when leveling after last trip to Tampa RV show.  :(

In the shop for that and slideout repairs.  Been in the hospital for almost 4 weeks.  Hope to see her again soon.

Their are all kinds of different hydraulic system noises and not sure if you are hearing the exact same thing but most of the jack "popping" noise will probably be traced back to one or two cylinders and they usually have a tight rod seal. As others have found above this is the reason the mfr wants you to add some "anti-stiction" fluid.
Most hyd systems will naturally bleed off some pressure over time and it is natural for the cylinder to retract a small amount because of this. The problem is when the seal causes the rod to stick until enough weight overcomes the loss of pressure and the rod pops and retracts. Bleed off a little pressure over time and it happens again.
The anti-stiction fluid they want you to use is to allow the seal to slip on the rod easier to mask the noise. The fork oil is common and the cheapest, the Cat most expensive.
Some good silicone spray on the rod will usually do the same thing. Spray the rod while someone is retracting and extending it so you get as much as possible up between the rod and seal.
If you have ever used any large hydraulic cylinders under high pressure this is quite common after they have been rebuilt. Once the seals wear a bit you don't really notice it anymore. Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom