Listing of State RV Drivers License Requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope you get better soon.

that driver will likely slow down a bit.

being an old motorcycle racer I know for a fact you're never quite as fast, .... after a meet Jesus crash.

TonyDtorch said:
interestingly....... the school buss that carry our kids don't have seat belts.

This is mostly for reasons related to the science of crash dynamics.  I'm not an expert on the topic but have learned a bit.  The short answer is that belts on all buses would be very expensive, somewhat impractical for children on short trips, and would not significantly save lives... because injuries from bus crashes are nearly non-existent (statistically speaking).  Buses are built for passenger crash "compartmentalization" which keeps the occupants within a small section of space (between the seat cushions front-and-back) in the event of a crash.  The seat cushions and windows are designed/shaped to create padding and prevent ejection.  Like RV's, buses are heavier, seats are set up higher, and travel slower than most other traffic around.  Even in a crash, the bus (and its occupants) will likely take on little or no damage.  Rollovers are almost impossible, unless a bus drives into a steep ditch or embankment... possible but not likely.

Google the question "why don't buses have seat belts?" and you'll find all kinds of articles on the topic, if you are still interested. :)

I would also like some clarification from LEO about passenger movement in a motorhome.

I know it's not enforced but, can a passenger legally get up and go to the bathroom while it's in operation?

I know the Greyhound buses allow passengers to do it.

Every state has different traffic laws.  To be completely accurate, you'd have to check the passenger restraint laws in any state you plan to travel through.  But remember that just because it's legal doesn't always make it right.  ;)

In general terms... although not recommended from a safety perspective (see the thread Moving around in a moving vehicle - NO WAY!), there are often no laws in particular regarding RV passenger restraint BEHIND the cab area.  That is because RV's fall into a gray area of the vehicle code... they do not fit into the category of passenger cars (too big and heavy) and are also not commercial trucks (privately owned and not operated for profit).

As a motorhome owner, I always had all occupants buckled while the RV was moving.  I'm generally somewhat of a safety freak and discouraged movement under way, but I'll admit we did make occasional exceptions for a quick bathroom trip or snack run from the pantry.  This always depended on the point in our trip (whether there was a place to stop), type of road we were on, current traffic conditions, etc.

so is it also kinda like the drivers license requirements for motorhomes...?

in your home state as long as you can legally drive an air braked 45 foot class A with an attached  3 axle 15k lb. trailer on your normal car license  ..... you can do it in every state ?

It makes a good argument for some national guidelines...huh

if common sense was a drivers license requirement there would be no traffic jams.

My wife is disabled and although we have air ride seats she has a hard time sitting for long periods of time.  She knows how much I like to have her strapped into the seat and will wait way too long before she climbs back into the sleeper where she can lay down.  There are seat belts back there on the bunk but they're not very user friendly.  She does know however that when we get to a metropolitan area or are in traffic that she has to come back up front and strap in.  If I have to slam on the brakes or worse, violate the laws of physics and hit something those same physics will make her comfortable sleeper bunk nothing more than a launch pad.

Joe:
  you could let your wife sleep or fix dinner as your going down the road here...

according to California Vehicle Code Section 21712.....it's perfectly legal to carry passengers in a 5er as long as it has safety glass and communications with the driver compartment.

to no avail, you never come to CA

Good news!...  it's also legal in many other states.

I find it's interesting to hear people say that everyone always wears a seat belt in their R/V's ...except for once and a while.

just think some day DOT will require everyone to wear full face helmets in all passenger vehicles, since most vehicle injuries are head injuries,

oh boy !... that will make R/V-ing real family fun......ok kids..sit down get strapped in, get your helmets and your Hans devices on... we're going to take the R/V up to Yosemite! ....stand-by for radio check...check one, copy?    ???

have fun...it makes life more enjoyable.

As far as I know it is legal in a lot of states for a passenger to ride in a 5th wheel as long as communications are available although I personally wouldn't recommend it.  The wife has ridden back there on occasion just to make sure things are riding the way we planned.  She did it in our first rig for about thirty miles and very quickly informed me that the cast iron frying pan would no longer be stored in the oven during transit.  It seems that the heavy old antique that we brought from home was using the oven rack as a trampoline going down the road.

TonyDtorch said:
according to California Vehicle Code Section 21712.....it's perfectly legal to carry passengers in a 5er as long as it has safety glass and communications with the driver compartment.

This is a pretty bad idea.  RV trailers are not built for passenger transport, and have none of the typical suspension to make the ride bearable.  It is also quite common for them to pick up exhaust fumes from the tow vehicle directly in front.  For those reasons the trip would be very unpleasant and potentially quite sickening for any passengers.

not to mention that ones with slides are almost impossible to be in when the slides are retracted.....but it is legal.

Here is a couple of everyday seat-belt travel deviations.

1. watch the hot food trucks going down the freeways with a lady in back cooking up some carne asada for the next stop, think about that 5 gal deep fryer in a front ender.

2. imagine trying to get the whole rock band to sit down and stay buckled up until that tour bus gets to the next  concert !

3. and that ambulance speeding to the hospital with an EMT in back giving someone CPR.

Another issue is the growing number of states making it hard or impossible to get or keep a drivers license of any kind. Some of this is an immigration or anti-terrorism deal, while apparently some political parties which control statehouses wish to limit voting accessibility by members of the other party.

Without a physical home you cannot own a vehicle or get a drivers license in a fully-"secure" state. It might be possible to get around this with affidavits from people who know you. From what I have read on other posts, an RV park address is getting to be more questionable. So it seems there will always need to be a traditional residence address to tether too unless we want to give up more of our rights and priviledges in the future.

Foto-n-T said:
I spend as little time in CA as possible but if memory serves me correctly, doubles are a no-no in California, period.

Doubles are in fact legal in Calif if you have a current CDL "A" with a doubles endorsement and a valid medical card, the same as if you were dirving an 80,000# big rig.

Strangely however, in Oregon where it is legal for commercial vehicles to pull three trailers, an RVer can't pull double at all. Go figure.

Steve

crackerjack99 said:
So even though I hold a class A cdl in Illinois, I must still get a class b to drive my 34ft. motorhome? or am I confused?

You can drive any motorhome you run across with your Class A CDL.  In fact, in Illinois you can drive nearly any motorhome you run across with a standard Class D driver's license (the one everybody gets at age 16).  Illinois has a gray area when it comes to motorhomes... they are huge and heavy, but most don't fall under CDL rules because they are private vehicles and aren't used commercially.  Although a higher classification (the Class C) is mentioned in the Illinois Vehicle Code for vehicles weighing between 16k-26k pounds, the CDL code exempts private RV owners.  (Source here from the IL Secretary of State webpage.)

scottydl said:
Every state has different traffic laws.  To be completely accurate, you'd have to check the passenger restraint laws in any state you plan to travel through.  But remember that just because it's legal doesn't always make it right.  ;)

In general terms... although not recommended from a safety perspective (see the thread Moving around in a moving vehicle - NO WAY!), there are often no laws in particular regarding RV passenger restraint BEHIND the cab area.  That is because RV's fall into a gray area of the vehicle code... they do not fit into the category of passenger cars (too big and heavy) and are also not commercial trucks (privately owned and not operated for profit).

As a motorhome owner, I always had all occupants buckled while the RV was moving.  I'm generally somewhat of a safety freak and discouraged movement under way, but I'll admit we did make occasional exceptions for a quick bathroom trip or snack run from the pantry.  This always depended on the point in our trip (whether there was a place to stop), type of road we were on, current traffic conditions, etc.

Wait...so, you mean I'm NOT supposed to set the cruise control while going down the highway, then go back, hit the head, grab a bottle of water, and make a sammich?  :eek:

BoomerD said:
Wait...so, you mean I'm NOT supposed to set the cruise control while going down the highway, then go back, hit the head, grab a bottle of water, and make a sammich?  :eek:

Well you CAN ... but other than the sandwich (if you have time to make it), you may not like the results of such activities.  ;)

I still wonder if that RV urban legend that you described is actually true...

scottydl said:
Well you CAN ... but other than the sandwich (if you have time to make it), you may not like the results of such activities.  ;)

I still wonder if that RV urban legend that you described is actually true...

:D Yeah, I'm sure we've all heard the story...hey...wait. You mean not EVERYTHING on the intarwebs is true?  :eek:

I did it just today in one of my RV's. Set the throttle, pushed the autopilot button and then went about my business. Took stuff down to the forward cabin, made a sammich, got a can of pop and then went back to my seat. No problems.

Ken

I'll attach a picture.......

Attachments

• 010a.jpg
    010a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 8
TonyDtorch said:
you touched on another California state budget balancing tool ,
all "fit it" tickets after signed off by a cop you owe a $25.00 dismissal fee (it's legal because it's a fee not a fine),
so guilty or not, it's $25...

welcome to a Blue state.
Massachusetts does the same thing.
When I was still on the job, most of us agreed with the public, this was wrong.
If a police officer cites you for a violation, and you feel you were given the ticket in error, you should have the right to your day in court, to face your accuser.  This is pretty much negated, when you appeal the ticket, and are hit with a hearing fee, which varies in price, determined by whether your hearing will be heard by a clerk, or a judge.  If you are found "not responsible" which is legal speak for not guilty, you are not responsible for the fine, but you do have to pay the fee.  If you are found "responsible" or guilty, you must pay both the fine, and the fee.  So by appealing the ticket, you still pay, and if the ticket is upheld by the clerk or judge, you also pay the graduated fee for your day in court.  And if a police officer gave you a break, by reducing the fine owed on the ticket, by citing you for a lesser charge, or a lesser speed than you were actually going, the judge in the appeal, can amend the charge, thus charging you with a higher fine owed, along with the hearing and court fees.  So you could essentially end up paying 2-3 times (or more) the amount on the face value of the ticket you were owed, by appealing it, rather than just paying it.

Most people just pay the ticket now, which has led to some tickets which were excessive, or written in "error" being paid, even though both the person who received the ticket, and the police officer, knew the ticket was wrong to begin with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom