Lithium ion battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FrankNSharon said:
The price looks staggering at first, but when you do the math, they are close to the same price as lead acid for the same number of usable AMP hours. Most people look at a lead acid, say a Trojan 105, and see 225 AMP Hours. But, the reality is you only get 112 of those AMP Hours to use, since you are not supposed to discharge them more than 50% max, and 80% on a regular basis if you want to get the most life out of them. To get the same life out of a LifePO4 battery, you can use 200 of the 220 Amp Hours. And still get more cycles than the lead acid.

So, it is a case of more up front, but lasting longer and having some other benefits. I still have not decided if I am going with them - I have until August when we hit the road to make up my mind.

Frank
My mind is made up. No way would I spend this kind of money on something I rarely use. Even if I did camp in the boonies I still wouldnt spend this kind of money on a battery and charger.The price will come down in due time like everything does i.e. flat screen tv's but I'll probably be dead by then..
Happy Motoring

Don and Max,

In your case you are absolutely correct. These batteries, if they do make sense, only make sense if they are used heavily day in and day out. So they do not fit your planned life style. In our case we ar going to be putting a serious solar system onto our coach and want to push how long we can boondock, so these may be a consideration for us...

Frank

One of the other things I like about these batteries is it appears they will accept a high rate of charge much nearer to the end of the charge cycle.  Lead acid batteries start taking less of a charge at 70% capacity. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery  But the Lithium batteries start taking less of a charge at 85%.  http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

That said I would never put any of these batteries under the hood of a vehicle as their life goes down a lot with high temperatures.    I'd stay with lead acid there.  Well, ok, I'd consider it up in the Arctic but that's about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom