Living in a 5th wheel full time in Canada!! in winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am long haul driver and used to be living on the road. This year I planning to ditch my apartment and living in my Flagstaff 8524RLS 5th wheel full time when I am at home (since I am only in town a week out of the month, renting is a waste). So far so good living in my RV, it's summer and it's nice and the beer is flowing. Come this winter in northern Canada where temperature can drop below -30F every day, I am not sure. Heating is my biggest concern, how often do I have replace propane tanks at that temperature? Can I keep my RV comfortable at 70F (I like it hot :)) As far as pipes and sewage is concern, I'll be using portable toilets and water since I am away 3 weeks at a time and don't want to deal with frozen tanks. Anybody thinks I am crazy living in RV at -30 in Canada, any brave souls have any experience and want to offer me some tips other than go south young man ;D
I Ve been living in a 30' 5th wheel for going on 6 yrs in Manitoba,all yr around an off grid the last few yrs ,it's a bit of work in the cold but it's worth it ,for the savings an the freedom.i Ve been here threw blizzards a. Weeks of minus 40c just have to be prepared an have your unit set up right

I Ve been living in a 30' 5th wheel for going on 6 yrs in Manitoba,all yr around an off grid the last few yrs ,it's a bit of work in the cold but it's worth it ,for the savings an the freedom.i Ve been here threw blizzards a. Weeks of minus 40c just have to be prepared an have your unit set up right
This thread is over a year old

Still, it's nice to see other people are living in travel trailers in the frozen parts of the world :) Most responses I've seen have been "don't do it it won't work"

Still, it's nice to see other people are living in travel trailers in the frozen parts of the world :) Most responses I've seen have been "don't do it it won't work"
It's doable, if you are crafty enough, have a good way to prevent water lines from freezing/exploding and also have plenty of your choice of fuel to prevent death by exposure to gelid temperatures. Also, a tough spirit like that of the pioneers of the mid 1800s does help.

Been at Lake Mead area since Tuesday PM. It's been in the 90"s during the day and only down to the low 70's until just before dawn. I'm thinking camping in the cold would be very nice right now.

I have seen full time workers living in Minot, SD, northern Minnesota, and Missoula, MT. Not easy, and it does need modifications like skirting and heated hoses plus large propane tanks, but it can definitely be done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom