Livingroom slide out problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markg17

I have a 2002 keystone cougar with 2 slides. The living room slideout stopped working. I switched the motor with the kitchen slide and it worked great on the kitchen. So I know it is not a bad motor. I put a multimeter on the wires for the living room slide and when my wife hit the button I get 13.49 volts. But when I hook either motor to the wires it will not turn the motor, even when not connected to the hydraulic gearbox.  What else can I check.

1st welcome to the forum.
That is weird. We have allot of experience here and they'll be picking your mind soon.
I would pull the switch and make sure the wires are all tight. The same thing with all the wires in the fuse box. It may be that a connection is tight enough to pass electricity just enough to take a voltage reading but once you put a load on it, it's not tight enough.

Best guess is a poor wire connection, e.g. a bad ground. A multimeter will show voltage with any sort of connection at all, but the motor draws a lot of amps to start turning and therefore needs solid connections, with no dirt or rust or paint in the way,

Thanks, I will check all the connection points tonight, maybe even switch the switches out with each other to eliminate that question point.

You need to check voltage at the motor when it is under the normal full load.  Also, check using the ground that the motor uses, not just anywhere handy.  Any resistance should show up as voltage drop and that will help you narrow down the problem.

Thanks I finally got back out there and I did eliminate the switch as a possibility. I tried both switches for kitchen slide out and the both work on that side. Now to try following the wires more closely looking for bad connections.

Back
Top Bottom