Loading a generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat fowler

After reading another post and not wanting to hijack it I want to seek info on maintaining my generator. It was noted that the generator needed to be started monthly and run under load for awhile to keep it in good condition. In my class A gas MH the only real way to put it under load is with the air conditioners, but I would not want to run them in the winter time for fear of freezing them up. Is there another way to put a load on the generator that I am overlooking ? Thanks for any replies. Pat.

I just plug in our 1500 watt electric heater and let it run, and sometimes I'll make a pot of coffee out there as well...might as well relax, while you're doing maintenance... ;). I run ours for at least a half hour a month under load.

The "freezing" of an a/c has nothing to do with cold weather - it occurs when there is inadequate air flow over the heat exchanger, or sometimes in extremely humid weather if the unit runs continuously for a long time. Running it in the winter generally won't cause freezing, but you might have a hard time getting the thermostat to come on unless it is warm where it is stored. Just letting the a/c fan run won't create much load - the compressor has to engage and stay engaged for the duration of the runtime.

That said, use a space heater like Dennis suggested. Easier and more comfortable for you!

Water Dog, thanks for that info, I'll guess I will have to drag a heater and a coffee pot (I don't drink coffee) out to the MH.
Gary, thanks for the reply, I did not know that about air conditioners and may be able to use mine as the temps in KY vary greatly during our winter months. Some days 25 degrees and two days later 60 degrees. Anyway, I appreciate the replies and will put the info to good use. Pat.

Thanks for asking that question, I was wondering the same thing and had forgotten to ask.  I'll do the space heater and maybe my hot chocolate maker ;D

Cheryl

Almost anything that heats or cools will consume a lot of power (watts), so a couple of those things operating should be fine. Some other possibilities include: hair dryers, coffee makers, electric teakettle, and microwaves. If the things you are using are modest in their power use, turn on the tvs too.  Every little bit helps.

To a lesser extent, turning on ALL the interior lights and running the propane furnace can help too. Lights and the furnace fan use 12v (battery) power, but running down the batteries will cause the charger to boost its output and that consumes 120v power as well.  Not a lot, but something.

All great suggestions for load in previous posts!  I start the generators and plug in anything that will draw, one of my favorites is a leaf blower, kicks the generator pretty quick and noticeable! 

I have use 2 electric heaters. I have in warmer weather used both ac and run the convection oven. The goal is to get about 3/4 load on the generator.
Bill

I have two 1500W electric space heaters and the recommendation is for approx 50% load, on the generator. when you run it. I will take the coach out once a month in the winter and drive it on the road for approx 30 plus miles with the generator loaded with the 2 heaters.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Almost anything that heats or cools will consume a lot of power (watts), so a couple of those things operating should be fine. Some other possibilities include: hair dryers, coffee makers, electric teakettle, and microwaves. If the things you are using are modest in their power use, turn on the tvs too.  Every little bit helps.

To a lesser extent, turning on ALL the interior lights and running the propane furnace can help too. Lights and the furnace fan use 12v (battery) power, but running down the batteries will cause the charger to boost its output and that consumes 120v power as well.  Not a lot, but something.

The easiest might be a hair drier.

Joel

A lot of good suggestions here.  I also like to run the vacuum (pulls 8 amps) while the gen is running.  No sense wasting the time, plus it keeps the floors nice and clean..!

Back
Top Bottom