Local channels n Direct TV while traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DNS is available if:

You only use the system in a vehicle ( At least as far as Directv knows)

You have applied for and received a DNS waiver from Directv

You have paid for the appropriate DNS package (East/West, SD/HD)

Yep. Did that last year. Why would this year be different.

lb0456 said:
Yep. Did that last year. Why would this year be different.

Shouldn't be. The biggest problem working DNS problems out with Directv is that 80% of their CSRs don't know much about it. Ask to be raised to the next tech level or hang up and call back if you don't get someone who can help.

Good idea. In the meantime we are going to have to see if our booster is bad or maybe cable for antenna cuz I think we're doing everything right to get the antenna channels. Then I'll just forget about Direct Tv in the summer. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions

When you say Direct didn't do it this year exactly what are you doing for the change from summer to winter?

Last summer We had just one coach. This year we traded in on two. We have a 5th wheel now that stays parked and it has the Genie. In the smaller motorhome that we travel in the summer, we have the DVR.

If you have separate accounts for the two systems, they EACH  need to be designated as "mobile accounts" and each one needs to be authorized for DNS service. There is a form to file for each vehicle. Are you getting the 390-series of channels on the system in the 5W? The one that worked last year?

If you have one account and two receivers, you may have DNS on one and not the other, or you may have lost DNS when you added the second receiver and another vehicle. There is nothing automatic about DNS - the FCC has very rigid rules that Direct must comply with. They will err on the side of caution rather than risk trouble with the FCC!

Since you get nothing when the tv is set to "Air" as the source, it may mean the antenna isn't wired to the tv. Maybe never hooked up, or maybe it was wired to the satellite receiver instead? That is an option on some receivers. What model receiver is in the motorhome?

I guess that's a possisility, that it wasn't wired. There is a cable hooked on the back of the tv for it tho. The satellite receiver we have is a Winegard 1518. We have no other receiver. I n the 5th wheel We don't get tested 390s. We get 3, 5, 15, etc for locals. I think we are going to take it to an rv place to see if the antenna is wired right

The 1518 is the satellite antenna, a Winegard Carryout. What I wanted to know is the model of the Direct TV receiver in the coach, i.e. the box the Winegard is wired to, and which in turn is wired to the tv.

Some professional help would be good - they can figure out how your tv is connected to each source and show you how to set it for one or the other.

When trying to set to "on air", have you tried setting your TV channel (on the TV itself) to either Channel 3 or 4.  Should be a label on the back of the TV to say which one.

I think that is only when hooked up to box. We don't have a box for over air channels

IF the TV is digital and it sounds like it is you don't set the channels on the antenna input, it selects what is available when you choose scan for channels. I would suggest trying attaching each cable you find in the RV to the coax input on the TV and scanning for channels. If you are in an area with any reception you should find at least a few channels when hooked up to the right cable from the antenna on the roof.

I don't remember when I was watching TV last time, mostly I watch travel vloggers on YouTube, there are a lot of interesting travel channels. If you are interested in it too, just make a search on Google. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom