London is the capital of which country?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RVMommaTo6 said:
This new DNA technology blows my mind. I find it fascinating, way beyond my realm of understanding of how they figure it all out, but I would be interested to have it done. I'm half Colombian and half German.
Blows my mind too. I have read a bunch about how they do it and it is so cool. Basically they use mistakes to track you historically. Somewhere in Africa there was a mistake in the DNA, called a marker. If you have that mistake then you can trace your roots back to that mistake. I have also watched a few videos and they explain it better than I can. All I know is that after watching and reading about it I have total trust in it.

If one of the DNA/ancestry sites told you that you're X% from Britain, the British Isles, the UK, or one of the 4 countries, they omitted a very large part of the story. When you're done reading this Wiki you can figure out what % of the X% is indigenous English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish  ;)

Tom said:
If one of the DNA/ancestry sites told you that you're X% from Britain, the British Isles, the UK, or one of the 4 countries, they omitted a very large part of the story. When you're done reading this Wiki you can figure out what % of the X% is indigenous English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish  ;)
I was summarizing, obviously poorly. I am 59% northwestern European, 14% southwestern European, 11% northeastern European, 5.2% Southern European/Italian, 4.4% Eastern European, and 4.4% western Mediterranean. Notice a theme? The percentage match is closest to that of current residents of England (not Wales, Ireland, or Scotland) and, to a lesser extent, France. Lots of Nordic influence, some Germanic, just a bit of the others, all of which make sense from a migration sense. All the family stories about Native American and the rumors of African American ancestors (most of my family lived in the southern United States for many generations) just didn?t pan out. I guess I come by my sunburn pretty naturally.

... all of which make sense from a migration sense.
In addition to migration, there was a lot of inter-breeding going on during the invasions of England. Many of those invading warriors found themselves (unwilling) mates. Not so much Scotland and Wales - they were able to keep a lot of the invaders out.

Tom said:

That goes along with the explanation as to why I show trace amounts or Nordic, Italian and middle Eastern. I can also connect many of my ancestors migrations to occurances like the bubonic Plague, Napoleonic wars, Franco Prussian war and even to King James sending noblemen into Ireland to help coloni

This thread is drifting into an area  I find fascinating. I delved into it in an attempt to find information on my father who I know little about, my biological mother was very bitter toward him (along with just about everyone else) and would not tell me much. His ancestors came to the U.S fron northern England, hers from Norway and Germany. Everybody ended up in Wisconsin and Iowa so strong midwestern roots. Branches of both families migrated to western Canada so here I am.

People of America

English - Capital

American - Capitol

sheesh, you guys....    :D

I met a taxi driver in Vegas who said he had traced his ancestors back to King James.  :eek:

It seems to me that as you get older you become much more interested in history, including your own history and if you have not spoken to your parents about it then it becomes quite hard to find stuff out.

This is a great thread...

I've always been fascinated by the stories my grandparents told and following family trees. My grandfathers fought against each other in war and were both injured in the same place. I always thought that was so cool because they were family and got along so well yet on the battlefield would have taken each other out. Mind boggling.
I hope to make it to Colombia some day, the house my grandpa grew up in before moving to America is now a museum all about his (therefore my) family. It's on the bucket list.

RVMommaTo6 said:
I've always been fascinated by the stories my grandparents told and following family trees. My grandfathers fought against each other in war and were both injured in the same place. I always thought that was so cool because they were family and got along so well yet on the battlefield would have taken each other out. Mind boggling.
I hope to make it to Colombia some day, the house my grandpa grew up in before moving to America is now a museum all about his (therefore my) family. It's on the bucket list.
Wow how awesome- a museum!!!

jackiemac said:
People of America

English - Capital

American - Capitol

sheesh, you guys....    :D
sheesh, you gal

people of the world:

Capital is the most important city in an area, region, country, etc., and generally refers to a governmental seat.

Capitol is building where legislators meet and have session.

You can keep track of capitol vs. capital by visualizing the ?O? in capitol as the top of a capitol buildings? dome.

https://writingexplained.org/capital-vs-capitol

BinaryBob said:
Sorry...

Ich bin direkt mit dem Kaiser verbunden, z?gere aber, diese Information preiszugeben?..
Lol, I'm actually related to the current president of Colombia, he is my 4th cousin.

My wife has always known that she's half French and half Mexican.  I got her the DNA test for Christmas, and it pretty much confirmed what she knew.  What we both found fascinating was the chart showing the migration from Europe through Canada(for the French half)and South America(for the Mexican half)into the US.
She's got me wanting to do one now.  One of my cousins on my father's side has traced our family back before the Civil War and sent me a copy of the tree, but I lost contact with my mother's side when I was a teen and to see that half of the DNA would be interesting.

From my grammar school days in the UK, 'capital' in this context is the way TomS explained it. I must admit to not having heard/used (or been conscious of) the term 'capitol' until we came to the US many years ago, but the context became clear.

SeilerBird said:
sheesh, you gal

people of the world:

Capital is the most important city in an area, region, country, etc., and generally refers to a governmental seat.

Capitol is building where legislators meet and have session.

You can keep track of capitol vs. capital by visualizing the ?O? in capitol as the top of a capitol buildings? dome.

https://writingexplained.org/capital-vs-capitol
? great explanation!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom