Long power cord or generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The generator will work, just plan on running it 10 to 12 hours per day to keep the batteries charged. That's after you purchase the additional batteries and inverter.

The investment on running the wire might not seem so bad after all.

Look at the major and minor service schedules for any generator you're planning to buy.  For example, the Honda EU3000i calls for an oil change every 150 hours, a spark plug, fuel filter and valve adjustment at 300 hours and disassembling the engine to clean out carbon every 500 hours.

If you run the generator an average of 10 hours a day, you'll have to change the oil twice a month, do the valves and spark plug every month, and clean the carbon every 2 months.

To put it in automobile terms, assuming a 45 mph average speed, it's the same as driving 450 miles every day or 13,500 miles per month.

In about 7 1/2 months you would have driven 100,000 miles.  If you've religiously kept up on maintenance you may have some life left in the car, if not forget it.

If I install a battery charger that will let me charge at 30amps, would I still be running it that long? Is the 10 hour a day for the trailer's stock charger that will only do 2-3 amps?

Get a shovel and start trenching.  To run a perment power  outlet to the camper..... Run a 8-3 uf direct burry wire. Or regular 8-3 wire in a conduit.  And wile your at it a cable and phone wire

Now that you say you are only there until spring and never move it back again, I would go with a generator.  JM2?... Dick

You said you had two options. I think there is one more and may possibly be the best one. Why not move in with Mom and Dad? It's only going to be for a few months. Pay them a little money for room and board.

Will someone be in the trailer 24 hours a day or will you just eat and sleep there - gone working the rest of the time?

You may only need the generator for 1 or 2 hours in the morning and another short run in the evening. No other inverters or batteries needed.

HappyWanderer said:
The generator will work, just plan on running it 10 to 12 hours per day to keep the batteries charged. That's after you purchase the additional batteries and inverter.

The investment on running the wire might not seem so bad after all.

Our genny will fully charge our batteries in 3.5 hours, with our Progressive Dynamics smart charger.  I vote for the idea two up though, just move in with mom and dad, pay them a little and save the extra $  ;)

I don't think moving in with parents will work, since it isn't just me, it's me, wife, and two kids. I already have the trailer, and I don't want to have the 4 of us living out of their only spare bedroom.

I was over there again today looking at their main power panel. I think this is the way to do it. I moved a few things around and made room for a 50amp dual pole breaker. I can go through the wall, and mount a receptacle on the side of the house, and make the ~175' (just measured that) run to the trailer. Found cable on ebay, and will wire plugs on the end of it to make my custom extension cord. It looks like I'll be able to do this for under $500. I'm guessing I can re-sell the cable (taking a hit from what I paid, but something is better than nothing), and my parents could use the receptacle for a generator in the future if they want.

About the same price as just the generator, but I don't have to buy a battery charger, inverter, and a ton of gas.

WhiteH2O said:
and my parents could use the receptacle for a generator in the future if they want.

I hope they don't just plug into the outlet and start the generator. Bad things could happen if they don't know what they're doing. It could kill a lineman working on the pole outside and it may also be illegal back feeding a entrance panel. But that's another subject. Just make sure they are aware of this. Enough said.

SeilerBird said:
The driveway wood method is stupid, illegal and completely unsafe. Spend the money to bury the cable.

I don't get this Tom. Tell me how this is unsafe. This type of wiring is often used for temporary setups. Go to an RV rally and you'll see plenty. Go to a large trade shows.
That said because of the length of the wire I would and a RV power Box or Pedestal at the end that has a 50 Amp receptacle and a 50amp circuit breaker. AT 200 feet the panel breaker may not react quickly enough to a problem in the wiring to the Rig. Yes the cable does need protection over the driveway.

Ken & Sheila said:
I don't get this Tom. Tell me how this is unsafe. This type of wiring is often used for temporary setups. Go to an RV rally and you'll see plenty. Go to a large trade shows.
That said because of the length of the wire I would and a RV power Box or Pedestal at the end that has a 50 Amp receptacle and a 50amp circuit breaker. AT 200 feet the panel breaker may not react quickly enough to a problem in the wiring to the Rig. Yes the cable does need protection over the driveway.
It is used a lot in temporary situations. That does not mean it is safe. Suppose someone had a nail sticking out of their tire and ran over it and the nail penetrated the wire and shorted it out. There are many different ways that something can go wrong with this setup. The whole reason I brought this up is because I don't want anyone reading this thread to think this is the way things should be done. As a career electrician the thing we live by is the National Electrical Code is sacred. You should never knowingly violate it just to save a few bucks. Wires that are laying on the ground and exposed are subject to a number of bad elements. Animals chewing through the wire causes large problems, so can insects. Moisture can also cause problems as in a flood. This is why you should always run wires in conduit outside. Just laying the wire on the ground an putting boards next to it is just plain stupid. And a very poor way to save money. I was an electrician for 20 years and I always followed the code and I sleep well at night knowing I never put anyone at risk just to save a few bucks.

Actually giving this more thought, I think the biggest danger would be the cable lying in grass. Grass grows and the cable is hidden. What if someone forgets it and cuts the grass......

TheNewhalls said:
The Code is more what you call guidelines, than actual rules-Captain Barbossa.  ;D

The actual code may be guidelines, but but state and local governments use them as law. There's a good reason for that. They don't write the code just to be a pain in the butt, it's for people's safety and fire protection.

TheNewhalls said:
The Code is more what you call guidelines, than actual rules-Captain Barbossa.  ;D
I realize that. But I still feel obligated to let people know it is a possibly dangerous situation. There are too many people here that think that if they read it on the Internet it must be true. Also take note that I never told him not to do it, I merely informed him it was stupid, dangerous and illegal. Yep, the odds of something bad happening, especially in a temporary situation are remote at best but there is still a chance there. It is like driving 100 mph on an Interstate. Also stupid, dangerous and illegal but people do it all the time. But to a lifetime electrician the code is absolute law, not guidelines. But a funny post anyway Newhalls.

I used to be a civilian electrician for the Navy working on Nuclear Powerplants. Now, I audit those people who work on the reactors. Because of that, I know a lot about shipboard electricity, but I don't know anything about the NEC. While that is a disadvantage sometimes, I still have the knowledge to be fairly safe with electricity, even if I'm not following the correct rules for land based buildings. As it turns out, most of the rules I follow are more strict than the NEC, but I've also been known to speed on the freeway (only when others aren't around, because that never works well) on occasion. I always say that you should know the rules well enough to know when you are breaking them.

If looking for generator/inverter we purchased the Powerhouse 4500 and are very satisfied. Runs everything we need.  Can. Run  both AC units as long as we turn them on one at a time, plus everything g else including m/w and coffee pot.  Not as quiet as a Honda but MUCH less costly.  Quiet enough.  Did not think I would really use the remote control to turn it on but that has turned out to be pretty convenient

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom