looking and lurking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geekygpa

Hello. We are looking into getting an rv and traveling the country some. I will be retiring in the near future, so we have some time to look and decide which way to go. We have been thinking of a 5th wheel or either a class A or class C. But with the wife being disabled I think the best would be a motorhome instead of the 5er.

My sister and brother-in-law have a Dolphin and travel the Northwest. We met them in  Montana this summer and liked their rig.

I am searching the web and several forums looking at comments and ideas from others to help make certain we make a good decision on the type, brand, model, size and year that will be best for us and our budget.

I see that there a lot of used mh's out there, but don't see very many that are equipped for disabled people. Is that because those that are out in the world are being held onto by their owners or are there just that few number of them?

Thanks in advance for your help and info.

Hi Carl & Nancy and welcome to the RV Forum.

A Class A motorhome is probably the most convenient way to travel, especially for those with disabilities. We see plenty of people with various disabilities traveling in RVs - in most ways it is more amenable than motel rooms and other forms of transport.

Does your wife use a wheel chair? There are indeed motorhomes with facilities like wheel chair lifts and accessible bathrooms, but they are few and probably closely held by their owners. Discovering one on a used RV lot would be a rare find. The new toyhauler models work for some folks - the ramp for loading ATVs or motorcycles also works for wheel chairs. Most people end up getting one made to suit their particular needs. Manufacturers like Winnebago will tailor any existing model for the disabled.  For more info see:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/commercial/

Here is a site that claims to help find RVs for the handicapped. Maybe some help there:
http://www.rvproperty.com/rvs_for_handicapped.htm

Thanks for the reply. She has both a wheelchair and a scooter. She can walk some, but has problems with steps. I have seen a lift device that may be fitted on the outside for a person. Just haven't looked for it yet, as we are still just looking at the rv's. Will check it out a little later to see if it can be retrofitted to one of our choices before buying anything.

Click the Resources button above and scroll down to Handicapped Access RV Manufacturers and Suppliers. Some of the manufacturers are no longer in business, but their prior products will still be around and for sale.

Note that the link to Custom Coach Conversions is no longer valid.

Edit: The invalid link has been removed.

Back
Top Bottom