Looking at a Class B as a comfortable way to travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonMN

Greetings from snowy Minnesota! Retired a couple years ago, and now thinking about a little travel. Years ago I remember when we would drive to Montana in a pickup, and one would climb in the back with a foam pad to sleep a few hours of the drive--it was a great break on a long drive (we did have a cover on the truck bed, of course;))

It's just my wife and I with a small dog. We are looking at this as a great way to make 2-3 day drives to a destination, and then perhaps rent something when we get there. I am not ruling out a few days in the RV, of course.

I have been reading a lot of threads on the forum, but would appreciate advice, as we are complete rookies at this point. I do not have a lot of local dealers to work with, but the Jayco Swift and Roadtrek Chase are of interest. Airstream is a wee bit pricy.

Have you looked closely at smallish Class Cs. I see a lot elderly couples with dog(s) come through this campground in those. They seem very comfortable and the smaller class Cs are very manuverable, fit places larger units do not.

I can certainly understand the appeal as a travel vehicle, where you carry your own minimal bathroom, cooking and sleeping space. The problem I have with them is that minimal side of things, with often minimal cargo capacity, small fresh and waste water tanks, etc. Using the specs from the Jayco, this is Promaster 20 ft chassis with a 9,350 GVWR, depending on floor plan you will have circa 25 gallon fresh water tank, with a 15 gal gray and 12 gallon black tank. Assume on average 1 gallon per toilet flush, and you get 6 toilet uses per person between needing to dump the black tank, On the gray water side, a typical RV shower flows about 2.5 gallons per minute, so your gray tank will allow for each of you to have a single 3 minute shower between emptying, of course by the time you combine those 2 numbers you will be out of fresh water. What this means is you will need to dump your waste tanks and refill your fresh water on a nearly daily basis with 2 people if fully living out of a class B. This of course can be extended if you limit your use of onboard facilities. Then of course there is the 6 gallon propane tank, which itself would be a similar limitation if camping in colder weather.

In my personal taste this is all just a bit too minimalist to see this as a living situation at my age, though I started out my own RV adventure when I was much younger with a couple of camper vans from the 1980's / 90's , what I can say about them is they were a BIG improvement over tent camping. Where I can see the appeal is mixing class B overnight stays with motels / full service campgrounds with shower facilities, etc. It all comes down to how you want to travel. The real advantage I see to such a small class B is that it is small enough to act as a nearly a daily driver car, that Promaster is a foot shorter than my crew cab F250, which I used as a daily driver for a number of years. By contrast as you get into bigger motorhomes, it becomes increasingly difficult to use them to get around, it is not just the increased length, but perhaps even more the increased height and width that limit where you can go (due to overhanging tree limbs etc).

By a point of contrast we currently have a 28 ft class A, which has 80 gallon fresh water, 40 gallon gray and 40 gallon black, along with a 32 gallon propane tank. Giving us enough tankage to go at least 3-4 days between dumping and refills without too active of water conservation efforts, and each of us taking a 2-3 minute quick wash shower each day. It also allows us to have a dry bath with a 32 inch neo angle shower and a queen size bed. Whenever I go look at these 20 ft class B's they always feel like they are about a quarter of the interior space as our 28 ft class A, the reality is this is a mix of them being a foot or so narrower, having less headroom, and about 8-10 ft lass interior length.

Thanks so much for the detailed replies. This does provide food for thought. I think perhaps the biggest draw of the Class B is having a vehicle that is comfortable for a trip and, when we reach a destination, somewhat reasonable to drive around town. Thanks again! Jon

A small Class C, what is sometimes called a B+, has the same mobility advantages as a B but considerably more usable space inside. The basic difference is that the small C (B+) has a wider body for more interior room, but you could also opt for a bit longer one than the usual class B. You can probably go up to about 26 ft in length without sacrificing ease of driving, yet it's big enough to stay in at your destination. On the other hand, if your only desire is for some convenience for occasional rest stops or lunch on the road, a typical B is fine. The Jayco Melbourne is a small C at 25 ft vs the Jayco Swift at 21 ft.

I don't necessarily agree with the "best" evaluation in this web article, but take a look at some of B+ models at The 6 Best Class B Plus RVs We Could Find - The Wayward Home

While many people perfer to stay away from the Sprinter, I think the much lighter "van conversions" hold up much better than the very heavy class C models. You might look at older Airstream Interstate models. They built them on the Sprinter T1N model in 2005-2006 range. I had a 2007 Winnebago View on an '06 Sprinter cab/chassis and the only thing that bothered me was the transmission, which loaded up heavily don't last well, while more lightly loaded are quite strong.

2006 Airstream Interstate touring coach brochure

2006 Airstream Parkway and Westphalia brochure

For reference the T1N chassis (5 cylinder diesel, distinguished by the single cowl air inlet below the windshield) was built from 2002-2006 and the NCV3 chassis (V6 diesel and the rare V6 gas and I4 diesel, distinguished by two separate cowl air inlets below the windshield) was built from 2007 to 2018.

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom