Looking for a puppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill, please don?t buy a puppy over the Internet. First off there are all the scams, like you have seen. The biggest reason though is that you really need to see the pup?s behavior and how it interacts with you. Dogs have different personalities, just like people do. A reputable breeder will seldom sell you a dog sight unseen. They want to make sure you are the right person for their puppy the same as you want the puppy to be right for your household. Look at AKC breeder list. People who show dogs generally have a puppy or two that don?t meet show standards. You might have to wait until the puppies are available, but a few months wait for a dog you will have for 20 years would be worth it.

I find it rather sad that the "Walmart money transfer" issue is even being discussed or it may possibly not be a scam.
Even if it were legit, what kind of message does that send?
More disturbing is what type of person is ok with mail order dogs? What...you think it's like a pair of shoes? If they don't fit just send them back?
In a day and age that information is truly at our finger tips, it's heartbreaking to see such lack of investigation on things such as these.
Try a search on puppy mills and breeders. Educate yourself on reality and I believe you'll see why scams are so prevalent where it involves dogs.
They don't have a voice....so I'll be one for them.

I have only had Bambi for a few days. I have had 4 cavaliers over the years and she is my kind of dog... alert, interested and playful.  she is small at about 8lbs,but recovering nicely. she is about 15 months old.  the rescue group knows the details.

I think it's enlightening that most animal shelters have higher adoption standards than many private kennels. Then again, maybe it's because they're in it for the animals, not for the money...

The following site covers the USA via a map at the bottom OR you can check different breeds rescue group listings via box at top right side. Bill, you might want to cruise the site over time to see what is out there.

http://yorkie.rescueme.org/Arizona

If your heart desire is an 8 week old puppy, then please use google to find a good breeder who is breeding show quality and not pumping out pups.  A quality breeder with have pedigree records of the parents and extensive health certificates. 

Jennifer

ferfer said:
A quality breeder with have pedigree records of the parents and extensive health certificates. 
... and won't demand payment in advance via Walmart money transfers

NY_Dutch said:
I think it's enlightening that most animal shelters have higher adoption standards than many private kennels. Then again, maybe it's because they're in it for the animals, not for the money...

The breeder that we bought our Manchester Terrier from was just the opposite.  We were on a waiting list wish about 6 others for our puppy.  She "interviewed" us on the phone for almost an hour about everything dog related and at the end, told us that she and her daughter would make a decision in 3 days.  Now here is the the thing.  If we were going to be buying the dog to breed and/or show, the price would have been almost double of what we paid.  If we were just buying him as a companion dog, the price was much less.  She stood to double her money by selling to one of the others that had plans to breed and show...vs....us, who just wanted a companion.  They chose us, as they felt that the dog's best interest/happiness was going to be with us.  And yes, all health/shots records and pedigree papers were with the puppy, as well as a couple of starter kits for keeping him tick free and worm free.

Note that I said, "many private kennels", certainly not all. I know of some that have very high standards, and don't hesitate to turn people away that fail to meet their requirements. The kennel one of our neighbors bought from last year would not commit to a sale until all resident family members had been there for an individual "meet and greet" with the pup and kennel owner before he made a decision. I heartily applaud those kennels that really care about the dogs, and it's a shame there are so many puppy mills that only care about the money tainting them all.

NY_Dutch said:

Dutch,
An excellent comment!
Certainly shelters/rescues are in it for the animals. The abuse/neglect some of these pups experience is outrageous.
With the amount of special breed rescues, I find any breeder has a certain amount of financial gain in mind.

I took your advice.

I was all set to go to a breeder in Las Vegas when I found one right here in Lake Havasu.  It cost me about $500 more but I did not have to do the 350 mile round trip.

I got a pair from the same litter.  A boy and a girl.  The boy is names Hulk, (which we will change) and the girl is called April, (born on April 1st). 

Good little puppies.  After I got them home, a two mile trip, they played for awhile.  Both are now napping and April is curled up by my shoes.

Here are some pictures.  They might all be April but they look the same except the Hulk is bigger

Attachments

• r20180529_182803.jpg
    r20180529_182803.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 39
  • r20180529_182936.jpg
    r20180529_182936.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 42
  • r20180529_185421.jpg
    r20180529_185421.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 39
Rene T said:
Call the boy First.
I get it, ha  ;)

Reminds me of a bit by Brian Regan. He said "I'd like to buy a sports team in Miami and name them 'Humidity' so when people ask the name of the team I can reply, 'Well, it's not the Heat, it's the........"  ;) ;D

New names for the puppies.  Renae came up with "Scooter" for the male and "Sassy" for the female.

Scooter is very appropriate because he scoots under the couch or the bed when I went to pick him up at first.

Sassy wants to be picked up all the time and Scooter is coming around.  I guess he is acting like the big brother.

They are very good puppies.  They sleep in the master bedroom at night in crate with a puppy bed in it and a small blanket from their home with the scent of home on it.  Mostly quiet unless they want to go potty.  They have never cried and I credit that to them being together all the time.

I take the puppy bed out during the day and put it in the main rooms that have tile everywhere and they use it as a base to return to when tired. 

They like it when I put the puppy bed on the couch next to me and massage them as they nap.

Attachments

• r20180531_142417.jpg
    r20180531_142417.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 34
HueyPilotVN said:
They like it when I put the puppy bed on the couch next to me and massage them as they nap.

I think their dad likes it too  ;)

Too cute

Congratulations Bill, they are adorable. I am so jealous, I wish I could have a dog. But since I have three cats I have a self imposed limit of three pets.

Update on the Kids:

They now are my little shadows.  They follow me everywhere.

Their names are now officially "Scooter" and "Sassy" although Sassy is sometimes called "Sassy Bandita" because she has a dark bandit mask across her eyes.

Renae is returning from Minnesota Saturday and will meet her new kids.

They still sleep thru the night in their carrier here in the bedroom without a peep.

They have also discovered tiny milkbone treats and they will come running when they hear the word "Treat".

Attachments

• r20180612_142003.jpg
    r20180612_142003.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 18
  • r20180612_141918.jpg
    r20180612_141918.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 16
  • r20180612_141906.jpg
    r20180612_141906.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom