Looking for advice for upcoming western trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

we are scheduled to leave our home in Florida and head out to Moab in a couple of weeks. We will be visiting Moab, the dead horse, canyonlands, zion, monument valley, horseshoe bend. We are not hikers, bikers, or kayakers since we are moving up in age, so my question is will we be able to see most of the scenic areas with car stop offs or short hikes from a parking lot? Short hike being maybe a mile?

Also, going in April, will the weather be coat weather? Just want to be prepared.
Thanks!

In our experience, April can be transitional. Cool evenings that can get down near freezing, but generally pleasant daytime highs. Last year we went later-April and then again in October. Be prepared for a little of anything, including sun. One thing a lot of people don't think about is how dry and bright the desert is. Bring chapstick, sunscreen, lotion, and sunglasses. Pack way more water than you need (including for any doggies or pets!) and plan to hydrate often.

Zion isn't really near Moab, it's like 4 hours away. That's still on our list to visit, but will be a separate (not day trip) from Moab for us. Can't comment on it yet.

Arches will be a great park for you all. Lots of great scenery from the main road. Short little hikes (<1 mile) from parking areas get you up close and personal with some of the big arches. Be advised you need a reservation to visit the park (easy to book online). Canyonlands will be another good park for sightseeing from the road.

Maybe think about booking a Jeep tour (as a driver, or passenger). They do sunset rides and other sightseeing that will get you out to some fantastic places..

Lots of folks here have visited Moab so i'm sure they'll be along to add their thoughts shortly!

I suppose that part of the answer is in how one defines "most of the scenic areas." In terms of the majority of the places you go the answer will be no, but you will see far more than those who do not go there at all and it will still be worth the time and effort. There have been many studies on how far most visitors go into national parks and monuments and the vast majority see no more than about 10% of what is there, but they still enjoy their visits. I very much agree with post #2. April may be chilly and could even see a little snow but you will also be ahead of the biggest crowds and so should be a good time to visit.

Fantastic photos! You are very talented!
Thank you Peggyy. It is hard to take bad photographs in a National Park, The best hike I found in all the National Parks is in Zion, called Angel's Landing. It is a five mile hike total and the trail is usually very crowded. You might even want to only go halfway to Scout's Landing. I hiked the whole way when I was in my 60s. many times.

Thank you Peggyy. It is hard to take bad photographs in a National Park, The best hike I found in all the National Parks is in Zion, called Angel's Landing. It is a five mile hike total and the trail is usually very crowded. You might even want to only go halfway to Scout's Landing. I hiked the whole way when I was in my 60s. many times.

We cannot do five miles. Could have five years ago but things change!

The shuttle is the ONLY way you can see it,, no other way is currently allowed.. The old days when you could just drive thru it are gone.>>>Dan

Is the shuttle in Zion the best way to see it? Easy on and off?
The shuttle in Zion, the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon all have free shuttles and is a great way to get to the overlooks.
The shuttle is the ONLY way you can see it,, no other way is currently allowed.. The old days when you could just drive thru it are gone.>>>Dan
The shuttle to see Zion is not the only way to see Zion. The shuttle does not operate in the winter.

Last edited:
We've been to all of those. All fine places for easy viewing from car or a short walk. And Zion is only accessible via shuttle during the busy season. Somebody will always tell you about some terrific sight that's only a few mile hike, but don't fret about it. You will be sufficient dazzled by what is within easy reach!

Consider adding Colorado National Monument (at nearby Grand Junction, CO) to your itinerary. It's spectacular viewing by car. About 2 hours by car each way from Moab, and another 2-3 hours for sight-seeing.

There is a lot to see without hiking far!

Not sure if Zion will be shuttle only by then. I'd say although beautiful it's more of hiking spot.

I just drove Zion last week. I think it’s route 7 which has the tunnel you can drive year around. Because of the time of year we also was able to drive the bus only dead end.
DW and I both thought the route thru was much prettier. I think the bus only section is more for hikers and bikers. I’m sure getting off the road has better views. From what OP sad I’d just take the drive thru. Free with access pass.

Note that one of the roads / tunnels to Zion has a strictly enforced 50ft limit.

Angel's Landing now requires a permit I believe.

I used to have a home in Orderville and worked in St. George,, Hwy 9 is a COUNTY OWNED hwy and as such cannot be closed to thru traffic that lives on either side of the mountain. I had special pass "stickers" on all my vehicles to go thru nonstop..>>>Dan

In our experience, April can be transitional. Cool evenings that can get down near freezing, but generally pleasant daytime highs. Last year we went later-April and then again in October. Be prepared for a little of anything, including sun. One thing a lot of people don't think about is how dry and bright the desert is. Bring chapstick, sunscreen, lotion, and sunglasses. Pack way more water than you need (including for any doggies or pets!) and plan to hydrate often.

Zion isn't really near Moab, it's like 4 hours away. That's still on our list to visit, but will be a separate (not day trip) from Moab for us. Can't comment on it yet.

Arches will be a great park for you all. Lots of great scenery from the main road. Short little hikes (<1 mile) from parking areas get you up close and personal with some of the big arches. Be advised you need a reservation to visit the park (easy to book online). Canyonlands will be another good park for sightseeing from the road.

Maybe think about booking a Jeep tour (as a driver, or passenger). They do sunset rides and other sightseeing that will get you out to some fantastic places..

Lots of folks here have visited Moab so i'm sure they'll be along to add their thoughts shortly!
If you wear rx eyeglasses get a second pair . Go to Walmart they have discounts on second and third pairs

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom