Looking for advice for upcoming western trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we are scheduled to leave our home in Florida and head out to Moab in a couple of weeks. We will be visiting Moab, the dead horse, canyonlands, zion, monument valley, horseshoe bend. We are not hikers, bikers, or kayakers since we are moving up in age, so my question is will we be able to see most of the scenic areas with car stop offs or short hikes from a parking lot? Short hike being maybe a mile?

Also, going in April, will the weather be coat weather? Just want to be prepared.
Thanks!
We used to live in Utah 1999 - and saw all those things before there were busses and “tickets”(though that may not be a concern in April) to get in so I cant imagine what it’s like these days. April is a good time to go, though at the higher elevations you may hit some cold. Just wear layers. If the big touristy things get to be too much, checkout Goblin Valley, used to be an easy walk to see some spectacular hoo-doos. Four corners is/was also interesting. Navajo Nation also used to offer tours. Don’t miss the Navajo tacos!

we are scheduled to leave our home in Florida and head out to Moab in a couple of weeks. We will be visiting Moab, the dead horse, canyonlands, zion, monument valley, horseshoe bend. We are not hikers, bikers, or kayakers since we are moving up in age, so my question is will we be able to see most of the scenic areas with car stop offs or short hikes from a parking lot? Short hike being maybe a mile?

Also, going in April, will the weather be coat weather? Just want to be prepared.
Thanks!
Hey Peggy, DH and I will be traveling in the same areas in April. We are also getting up in age and prefer short hikes. We have packed our lightweight winter coats for the trip. We're from MN so for me that means a light weight puffer jacket. Also think about layering!

Last edited:
We used to live in Utah 1999 - and saw all those things before there were busses and “tickets”(though that may not be a concern in April) to get in so I cant imagine what it’s like these days. April is a good time to go, though at the higher elevations you may hit some cold. Just wear layers. If the big touristy things get to be too much, checkout Goblin Valley, used to be an easy walk to see some spectacular hoo-doos. Four corners is/was also interesting. Navajo Nation also used to offer tours. Don’t miss the Navajo tacos!

Thanks for sharing the info. Useful since DH and I will soon be traveling in the same area.

Hey Peggy, DH and I will be traveling in the same areas in April. We are also getting up in age and prefer short hikes. We have packed our lightweight winter coats for the trip. We're from MN so for me that means a light weight puffer jacket. Also think about layering!
We are in Moab now!

Max, In "Looking for advice for upcoming western trip" you posted :
In the next few weeks we are headed to Valley of Fire outside of Vegas and plan to boondock. It will be a good opportunity for us to check out what we need for boondocking.
and today you are doing it.
We're boondocking near Valley of Fire until Saturday and then headed to Zion
So now that you are boondocking what have you learned?

I assume by Dead Horse, you are referring to Dead Horse Point SP near Moab. (There is a Dead Horse Ranch SP near Cottonwood in Arizona.) It is right next to Canyonlands and a fantastic place to stay. Make sure you drive to the very end of the point and look at the view down into the canyon!! There is also a great driving trail from Moab that goes down in the canyon to Canyonlands, but I strongly suggest that you take the tour out of Moab for that instead of driving it yourself. Only exception is if you are driving a four-wheel drive vehicle and are used to d riving steep, dirt roads with switchbacks. I was tempted to rent a jeep, but am glad I decided on the tour, which was in an air conditioned enclosed vehicle and very comfortable.

We learned that we need a neutral ground plug to fool the built in surge protector in our current 5th wheel. Thanks to the RVers on yesterday's live Chat.

The solar is working for 12 volt.

We don't have a key for a key for the back of the residential frig so can't hook up the frig to the generator,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom