Looking for Charger for Trojan T105s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perfect thread.  I have a similar question regarding the need to equalize.  I have 2 T105's and my rig is stationary in West Texas which are 2 years old.  I replaced the Magnatek 7300 Converter/Charger with the upgrade kit from Best Converters 5 years ago. Output voltages are (13.2 VDC Float, 13.6 VDC Normal, and 14.4 VDC Boost.  I use a portable Honda genny when I need to charge using 30amp outlet. Works great!

My question.  I venture back and forth from home to the desert 7-8 times per year and take my batteries home with me.  I put them on a Deltran Battery Tender Plus while at home which holds voltage at 14.4v during absorption, but does not provide an equalization charge.  Trojan website specifies 15.5v for equalization charge.  From the replies I see here it sounds like I should not be too worried about buying a charger to use at home that can equalize as long as properly manage the batteries?  True/False?

thx
Dave

Most people never need to equalize. It's not a regular charging procedure, and not even a periodic thing in most situations. If you believe the batteries have lost capacity, an equalizing charge might restore some of the lost capability. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Agree. And the Battery Tender Plus seems to be a great choice too. I have 3 of them keeping various out of season batteries warm and snug for 3-4 months during the winter. Just a monthly peek at the cell levels. They haven't failed me yet.

davecat said:
Perfect thread.  I have a similar question regarding the need to equalize.  I have 2 T105's and my rig is stationary in West Texas which are 2 years old.  I replaced the Magnatek 7300 Converter/Charger with the upgrade kit from Best Converters 5 years ago. Output voltages are (13.2 VDC Float, 13.6 VDC Normal, and 14.4 VDC Boost.  I use a portable Honda genny when I need to charge using 30amp outlet. Works great!

My question.  I venture back and forth from home to the desert 7-8 times per year and take my batteries home with me.  I put them on a Deltran Battery Tender Plus while at home which holds voltage at 14.4v during absorption, but does not provide an equalization charge.  Trojan website specifies 15.5v for equalization charge.  From the replies I see here it sounds like I should not be too worried about buying a charger to use at home that can equalize as long as properly manage the batteries?  True/False?

thx
Dave

You could get a small solar panel to keep your batteries up at the trailer. Or, fully charge and just disconnect them when you leave.

Paul & Ann said:
So getting past equalization.  I wonder what the difference is in battery life, and charge available between only charging T-105s to 14.4 volts and the recommended 14.8 volts?
The batteries will never be charged to capacity. As the batteries get closer to full charge it takes more voltage to push the amps into the battery, end result the battery life will be less than expected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom