Looking for people who have experience with service dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was just reading an article about Service animals.

Seems some folks are.. shall we say.. Streatching a point just a bit.

Now I do understand the value of service animals and therapy animals as well.
BUT.. Some folks will make a claim that their pet is a Service or therapy animal when in fact they do not have a need for such and the animal is nothing more than a pet.

This is making it hard for LEGITIMATE folks.

Yep, I agree. I promote the use of true service dogs, but abhor those who abuse the system.

I'm wondering how one handles it when the dog (or owner) does not qualify for service dog certification.  If the dog is anything like most decent Lab or Retrievers usually are, how do you send them away after a couple of months of one-on-one relationship?  If it were me, I would want to try to team up with an already trained service dog.  That way, if we didn't "click", I could move on.  However, I'm sure this is a more expensive choice and probably more difficult path.

I'm just saying I would have to be prepared to have two dogs if the first one isn't certified. :)

Professional service dogs are welcome everywhere.

Never met a dog that didn't love travel.

Note of caution...

Always give your service dog a chance to relive themselves before entering buildings. Some service dogs are dragged from car to building with no chance to do this and then they have an indoor accident.

This is true of most all dogs!

Always give them a chance to relive themselves first. Mine is super excited to go inside, but I make him visit the grass or a bush first.

My doggy is not a service dog, but he does go inside many stores with me like hardware places, Home Depot, Lowes etc. He certainly seems to appreciate that I give him a chance to relieve himself first.

I've encountered service dogs in lots of places and some that weren't service dogs, but the people had them inside anyhow.

If you can get a service dog, by all means do so and go out and enjoy life!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom