looking for recommendations on Cape Hatteras campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frisco Woods is tree covered and Hatteras Sands is a few miles further down the Cape in Hatteras Village. I looked at them but am staying at the NPS campground (primitive) near the Frisco Airport that closes Monday noon.

Thanks for the response Jeff. 

We are not looking to plan a trip immediately but rather something in the spring. If anyone could recommend a campground that they have stayed at, or heard about, I'd love to have your input.

Thank you.

There are several in addition to Frisco woods.

Camp hatteras full service Ive heard it is a little high in price but well maintianed
There is a KOA but I have little info on it

Sands of time. I have stayed at this one it is I think $44 per night simple campground w/e/s. Kinda no frills campground but when I go I spend most of my time fishing on the beach anyway. I believe they give about a 50% discount for pasport america. Im sure there are others.

I will be headed down there in november to fish for a week. (parrents rented a house) but I plan to check out some other campgrounds for next years travels while there if I get any other good info I will post it!

Phil

Thanks Phil. I appreciate the feedback.

I'm hoping to find a campground that would be good for our children (6,11,17) in regards to activities, etc..

If you get additional info, I'll look forward to your response.

Gene

Hi,

For the money and local, Ocean Waves cannot be beat.  They are located in Rodanthe just south of the KOA and Camp Hatteras.  The lots are spacious with a concrete pad with full hook ups and are VERY REASONABLY priced!  Its a small campground but has a pool and is just a dune away from the ocean.  We've stayed at Frisco Woods and looked into all the other campgrounds on the banks and this one is our personal favorite.  They do have a website: www.oceanwavescampground.com and we have a Picasa album from our '07 trip that may be of interest to you: OBX 
Good luck with your search.  Any trip to OBX is a good trip!

I agree with webervn. Ocean Waves is a great place to stay. The DW and I always stay there. If you are a beach driver, it is close to most of the ramps to drive on the beach.

First my appologies for the delay in Response. It has been a very busy holiday season for us.

I have been in Ocean Waves in the past and it is a nice park espicaly for the money. I also Went and looked at a couple more. Frisco woods is not bad but for the diffrence in the money I would go to Sands of time or Ocean waves. I went in to camp hatteras it is nice and has resort style aminities but as for me I will most likely spend my time on the beach with my 4wd and my fisning gear so I dont think it would be worth the money to me.  The Koa I didnt acutaly go into that one (Weather was Rotten) but you can see a VERY NICE Playground from the road that may be good for the kids! I know each on the ones that I have seen mentioned have decient web sites that might help you with price vs perks for your decision.

Sorry I cant be of more help, The weather was cold and windy while I was there not great weather to tour campgrounds. either the Outer Banks  is a great and unique palce to take a vacation I feel sure you and your family will have a good time which ever campground you choose. Good luck.

Just my 2 cents about Frisco Woods.  We stayed there in '06 and while we liked the location, price and campground its self there were several things that turned us off to this one.  First their bath rooms were filthy and though they poured buckets of bleach on the floor everyday the bath stalls, showers and sink areas were very poorly cleaned.  Second. this is party central for college kids and so it can get pretty wild at night as well as a rowdy crowd hanging out at the pool on a daily basis.  Third, the staff was very slow to move us from our sound side water location when a tropical storm was coming over Pamlico Sound..I questioned them about it earlier in the day and they told me; "Where is you sense of adventure"  well later in the day when the waves were breaking over the breakwater and the wind was seriously rocking out TT the owner of the park finally showed up and told us to move to one of the sites further inland. 
I hope they have improved but I'm not going back for another two weeks to find out...I would consider Ocean Waves or any of the other campgrounds mentioned in the previous posts.

phil-in-nc said:
First my appologies for the delay in Response. It has been a very busy holiday season for us.

I have been in Ocean Waves in the past and it is a nice park espicaly for the money. I also Went and looked at a couple more. Frisco woods is not bad but for the diffrence in the money I would go to Sands of time or Ocean waves. I went in to camp hatteras it is nice and has resort style aminities but as for me I will most likely spend my time on the beach with my 4wd and my fisning gear so I dont think it would be worth the money to me.   The Koa I didnt acutaly go into that one (Weather was Rotten) but you can see a VERY NICE Playground from the road that may be good for the kids! I know each on the ones that I have seen mentioned have decient web sites that might help you with price vs perks for your decision.

Sorry I cant be of more help, The weather was cold and windy while I was there not great weather to tour campgrounds. either the Outer Banks  is a great and unique palce to take a vacation I feel sure you and your family will have a good time which ever campground you choose. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom