Looking to buy our first class A from private seller, advice please....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark.ogier

Hi
After many months searching for what we think is just the right one for us, my wife and I are possibly going to buy our first Class A. A 36 foot Itasca Meridian, 2006. Low mileage.
Didn't want to go to the full 40 footer, feel I need to cut my driving teeth on something a wee bit smaller. Have been using a fifth wheel for a while but this is our first coach.
Couple of questions please.
1. Any views on our choice of coach? Good or bad ?
2. The seller is in FL. Anybody know of how we can be sure the vehicle is free from liens etc and that the owner has full title to sell to us
3. We are from the UK and have a full time address registered with Escapees in TX. So I assume we will need to register the vehicle in TX if we buy it (It is currently registered in FL). Will we have to pay sales to to anybody? Seller (assume not) or the DMV in TX when we register it? Not sure how sales tax works on private sales.

Many thanks
Mark

I don't know Tx's licensing rules, but I do have neighbors who have a 36 foot Itasca Meridian, and they love it.

Texas rules:

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/out-of-state-and-foreign-vehicles

Unlike the UK, where vehicle registration and licensing is handled centrally/nationally by the DVLA, here they're handled by individual states. Here's a state-by-state guide on the formalities, including title/ownership transfers, liens, sales tax, etc: http://www.dmv.org/

Sales tax and other fees on private sales in most states are collected by the respective state DMV when you transfer title to your name. Credit is usually given for sales tax paid in one state when you move the vehicle and re-register in another state. Florida has a "partial exemption" rule for residents of another state, see here.

I would HIGHLY recommend finding an independent RV shop to do a COMPLETE inspection of the rig before you buy it. Preferably a shop that's qualified to inspect the chassis systems...or a separate shop for the chassis inspection. It will cost a couple hundred dollars...or more, but IMO, it's worth the expense. One repair or bad appliance can easily cost more than the inspection...and a roof leak that you don't know about...PLUS, being in Florida, there's always the chance of a rebuilt flood vehicle.

There is no difference between driving a 36 footer and driving a 40 footer. You will be living in your RV the vast majority of the time and driving it only a small percent of the time. I feel it is better to maximize it for living, not driving.

if you register it in Texas, you will have to pay sales tax. Inspection and tags every year, also

Complicated questions!

First, though, the Meridian is a nice mid-range diesel coach, and most owners love theirs. It's a sister to the Winnebago Journey, with only slight differences.

You can use your Texas address and title & register the coach there, but you could also establish a Florida address and do it there. Florida is hospitable to folks like yourself cause they have so many visitors and winter residents.

Yes, you will pay state sales tax wherever you decide to register it. Tom explained the state-by-state nature of US vehicle registry, so I'll not explain further.

If the seller has a physical title document he can sign over to you, that indicates it is free of liens. You should also get a signed Bill of Sale.  The paper title is stamped with something about a lien, make sure also you get something that says "lien released' or "lien cancelled".  One of the easiest ways to handle that aspect is to do the actual title transfer at a local Florida DMV office. Offices outside the major cities are usually very helpful in those transactions, but big city offices are so busy they may be a less  accommodating. By the way, any Florida DMV office can print out a Bill of Sale for any vehicle titled in Florida. They print it and the owner can sign it right on the spot, with the DMV clerk as the witness.

From personal experience, this worked for us in 2015.

Assuming that you are not relocating to the USA on a permanent basis, following may work for you.
As a non-citizen of the USA, it is quite legal to form a Limited Liability Company in Montana whose sole asset is the RV and which purchases the RV and registers it in Montana on your behalf, and then there is no liability to pay sales tax, saving you 6% on your Florida purchase.
An example is indicated here:
https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com/montana/rv-llc

It works with LLCs formed in Montana because Montana is one of the few states which does not impose sales tax on the purchase of vehicles by its residents, including resident LLCs. If you form a Montana LLC and have it purchase and take title to a motorhome or RV, you won't owe any sales tax in Montana.

You do not have to garage or insure the RV in Montana, which has a fairly high insurance rate, the RV may be garaged and insured in the state of your choice.

Regards Al

Hello Group, Advantages of becoming a Florida Resident and the Perks

There are obvious advantages to becoming a Florida resident. The first, and most well-known, is?Florida has no state income tax.
Full-time RV living in Florida has become a lifestyle choice for increasing numbers of modern-day nomads and Florida is a popular destination. Improvements in RV amenities and the scarcity of affordable housing are a few of the reasons that some people take their home to the open road permanently. Since home-schooling options have become more widely available, even families with young children can be full-time RV residents. Improvements in technology have made it possible for full-time RV residents to telecommute, pay bills, and stay in touch with friends and family while on the road.

Why Florida over other states?
- Very little red tape in Florida making it an easy transition.
- Some of the most beautiful RV Resorts in the country.
- The obvious, no state income tax.
- Driver?s license is good for 8 years plus it?s easy to renew online wherever you?re at.
- No annual vehicle inspections like Texas. This is big because you have to move your RV to the inspection station every year.
- In Florida you only need a Class E driver?s license for any size RV. In some states you?ll need a special non-commercial Class A or B driver?s license.
- Florida is highly regarded by a few RV Club?s for mail forwarding ? Florida has far more resources for mail forwarding. 
- No pension tax in Florida
- No astronomical fees for vehicle registration, Florida is very reasonable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom