Looking to upgrade my fifth wheel need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty444

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade our 07 Copper Canyon 339 Rear Lounge 5'er to a better quality unit.  I am looking for a full gel coat exterior and more counter space in the kitchen.  I am not complaining about our copper  canyon and it treats us very well but my wife and I are compusive shoppers and turn over vehicles every other year or so.  I am looking for advice as to what I should be looking for.  We are considering Heartland RV's,  big horn's,  Big Countries and I am also looking at 2 Cardinal models as well as Jayco Eagles even though they do not have the gel coat.  Tow vehicle does not matter here since we leave it seasonal and I only tow it home once per year and can get someone to do it for me if my truck cannot handle it properly.  We love the high ceilings and size of the 5th wheels so TT's are not an option.  Any help is appreciated.  I just am unsure what the real quality differences are structurally between the manufacturers and models. 

thanks,

salty

What are you towing with? The tow ratings of your truck are going to be critical to your ambitions to upgrade -- which usually means a heavier unit.

Carl,

I am curious as to how much my truck would tow if you have a manual handy.  It is a 2003 chevy 2500 HD crew cab short bed 4wd with the 6.0L gas and 4.10 rears. 

The weight and legnth of the trailer does not matter for this purchase since we leave it seasonal at a campground and it does not need to be towed.  I am sticking with a 5th wheel 36 ft and longer with at least 3 slides since this is what we have now.  I know you guys out west need very large vehicles since you tow over huge mountains,  Us out here in NY and New England have mole hills for mountains compared to you guys.  We're called flatlanders to you guys!

That rig is rated in Trailer Life's 2003 tables as 9,800 lbs.   We recommend discounting that by 10%, even on the flats, to make 8820 lbs as the highest trailer gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) you should try to pull.   

Out west that gasser would take a 20% for altitudes and grades limiting the trailer GVWR to 7840 lbs.   Seeing the Grand Canyon has its price.   ;D

A turbo diesel would not take the extra hit in the west, just the gassers.

I'm thinking whatever he gets will exceed his truck's tow capacity, so that's really  a moot point.  Heck, his current fifth wheel exceeds the gas F250 capacity by a good margin - it weighs over 10,000 lbs empty.   Just plan on having a professional delivery guy move it twice a year and move on to the question of "what fifth wheel?".

Yeah, Salty did say it was, at least functionally a park model.  I should have paid a bit more attention, but then again he did ask the question and now he knows.  :)

It's ok guys.. the help is definitely appreciated.

My wife and I did a little "window" shopping and came across a Jayco Desinger 35RLTS.  We love it.  Is this a good quality unit?  It sure seemed to be by appearance and fit and finish.  It has the gel coat exterior that we like,  seperated bath, rear entertainment and a nice cushy sectional sofa!

thanks,

we looked at that model.. it is almost the same but does not have the chase lounge couch.  Plus I do not remember if my wife liked the doors that opened into the bath like that.    The jayco designer really had a huge storage compartment and I really liked the centralized area for the wastewater, gray water drains and city water hookup in the same area.

salty444 said:
thanks,

we looked at that model.. it is almost the same but does not have the chase lounge couch.  Plus I do not remember if my wife liked the doors that opened into the bath like that.    The jayco designer really had a huge storage compartment and I really liked the centralized area for the wastewater, gray water drains and city water hookup in the same area.

Fresh water hookup and sewage valves in the same area?!  Maybe I am a worry wart but that creeps me out a bit.   I would like enough separation to prevent cross contamination.  Sewer hoses are not all that tight.

Back
Top Bottom