Looks like I'm not the "only" one ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DutchmenSport

That enjoys playing the accordion. I posted once about the joy I have playing the diatonic accordion (push button type, not the keyboard type), (I also play a harmonica) and really enjoy relaxing, especially when camping and just letting my mind and my fingers flow free! (and my lungs when I'm on a harmonica).

So, I posted once before about this and got some mixed reactions, which is OK. We all have our passions and joy and all yes, we all need to be mindful of noise and our fellow campers.

But, I stumbled onto this video and was pleasantly delighted! Three elements in this video: Camping (looks like this is a European camper in the back ground and I think the musician is Polish), the accordion, and the tune itself. I've never heard a sad song or tune on the accordion, they are intended for joyful, fun music! And this tune is about as lively as it gets and one that's well loved!

Anyway, I found this video a real delight! I'm also practicing on this tune myself right now. I wish I had the background accompaniment though.

I also play a harmonica
I also play harmonica. I play the blues harp and played in several blues bands back in the day. I'd like to pick up a chromatic. We also played music outdoors back in the day especially when mountain climbing. Easy to bring along in the backpack. Great way to relax. What harmonica do you play?

What harmonica do you play?

I have a 64 Chrominica. I've had one of these since I was about 10 years old. I think, over my life time, I've had 4 of them.

An echo harp (2 octaves, double sided, key of C and G?? I think).

And several 10 holed Honers, and Blues Harps. Most of them are in Key of C. I've had different keys over the years, but I'm down to just the "C's" now.

I've always wanted a Bass, but never could afford one. I know, they are blow only.

I need to learn harmonica. Pulmonologist recommended it to aid with breath control for COPD. Plus it just sounds like a fun thing to get into. Have had ‘Whammer Jammer’ by J. Geils Band, ‘Full House’ album stuck in my head lately…. Serious harmonica there.

A buddy from way back has a band called, ‘Those Darned Accordions’. Pretty non traditional accordion music, but quite good:

I need to learn harmonica. Pulmonologist recommended it to aid with breath control for COPD.

In March 2006 I got struck with Legionella. I was in the hospital for 10 days and another couple weeks of recovery at home. It took about about 1/2 the capacity of my lungs and I just didn't have enough breath to blow that harmonica. I put it down completely for the next 5 years. I was out of breath way too easy and running and swimming that required more oxygen intake was just something I could not do.

I missed playing that harmonica. Then one day, I decided I wanted to try again. It was really, really hard. I couldn't get through a single tune as I just did not have the lung capacity any more. But I continued trying. I messed with those harmonicas every day for the next 7 or 8 years.

By now it was around 2018 and I was finally able to play it pretty well again. The exercising with that harmonica helped restore some use of my lungs. I'm now at about 75% and will probably never get any better.

I think it was the stretching, deep breathing and controlled exhaling that help expand my lungs out. Today, I can play the harmonica again and love it. But I still struggle with that echo harp.

I think my son, who bought that accordion for me, was more keen to my emotional state and knew how much I really missed playing that harmonica the way I use to. That's why he got the accordion for me.

So, Laura & Charles, the harmonica is a great tool for your needs. Once you are able to accomplish your first tune, you'll understand the note pattern. After that, it's all in the lips and tongue! Yea ... that's what SHE said too!

In March 2006 I got struck with Legionella. I was in the hospital for 10 days and another couple weeks of recovery at home. It took about about 1/2 the capacity of my lungs and I just didn't have enough breath to blow that harmonica. I put it down completely for the next 5 years. I was out of breath way too easy and running and swimming that required more oxygen intake was just something I could not do.

I missed playing that harmonica. Then one day, I decided I wanted to try again. It was really, really hard. I couldn't get through a single tune as I just did not have the lung capacity any more. But I continued trying. I messed with those harmonicas every day for the next 7 or 8 years.

By now it was around 2018 and I was finally able to play it pretty well again. The exercising with that harmonica helped restore some use of my lungs. I'm now at about 75% and will probably never get any better.

I think it was the stretching, deep breathing and controlled exhaling that help expand my lungs out. Today, I can play the harmonica again and love it. But I still struggle with that echo harp.

I think my son, who bought that accordion for me, was more keen to my emotional state and knew how much I really missed playing that harmonica the way I use to. That's why he got the accordion for me.

So, Laura & Charles, the harmonica is a great tool for your needs. Once you are able to accomplish your first tune, you'll understand the note pattern. After that, it's all in the lips and tongue! Yea ... that's what SHE said too!
I've a didgeridoo, it's the hollowed out instrument the aboriginals in Australia play. They're fun and require ( if you want to be good at it and I'm not) the ability for rythmic breathing like a clarinetist or harmonica player. I bought one several years ago ( I think alcohol was involved) and it's lots of fun.

God bless your effort and determination! I've got COPD and have been thing of using a snorkel and sitting at the bottom of a barrel/pool/spa and learning to breath hard against the pressure with zoning out to the beauty of being in the water.

My wife's aunt plays the accordion and some of the extended family play the harmonica. Every year they get together for a family reunion. At some point, they sit down together and play old hymns while others sing along. It's a highlight for the older folks. Kids, not so much.

Thanks for sharing your story, Dutch! I sincerely appreciate the encouragement!!

Last edited:
(y)(y)(y) I play the guitar, and a little harmonica. I am so tired of just playing alone all the time because it has been years...years...since I have run into anyone who plays an kind instrument of any kind. When I was a teenager in the 70's, half the guys I knew played either the guitar or the keyboard...or both.

Last edited:
We’re in Puerto Vallarta most of the winter. When we’re back up north, I always say “you gotta have a fiddle in the band”, but down here, an accordion is pretty much a staple instrument, and is well accepted.

We’re in Puerto Vallarta most of the winter. When we’re back up north, I always say “you gotta have a fiddle in the band”, but down here, an accordion is pretty much a staple instrument, and is well accepted.
Accordians are centerpieces to Zydeco and most Cajun.

I like your handle, dog.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom