Lost our virginity this weekend:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roy and Claudia

Hope that title isn't too risque for this forum! Well, we did it - our maiden voyage - four days and three nights - just a couple hours from home. We stayed at a full service spot so we could learn to hook everything up, try out all the appliances, furnace, hot water etc. It all seems to work. A few minor repairs needed - fridge handle is broken, broke one of the plug-pull-thingies on one of the holding tanks, need better support for the bed - (any ideas? Mattress is fine but bed sags to the middle so thinking some sort of brace across it).

We learned a few valuable lessons:  the best one...those lights that show the tank levels - pay close attention! Not a lot of fun having our first experience emptying the holding tanks take place in the dark! Discovered (after the sink wouldn't drain even after we thought we'd emptied the tanks) that in fact, we have three tanks, not two.

Also learned all about winterizing...we won't use it again now until January... followed the manual, which was quite good, and got everything drained. We still need to blow out the lines but will do that now that we are home.

One thing I know for sure - we are going to have to learn better water and electricity management if we are ever to dry camp! Was surprised how fast the brown water tank(s) filled up. Running water is going to be a thing of the past!

Did not take the toad this weekend as it isn't insured yet. I drove my car and we used that to run around once we were parked.

Anyway thanks for all the great info on this site - it was most helpful. I think we are going to enjoy this!

batteries will last much longer if you turn the inverter OFF when you are finished with TV/etc in the evening.  Don't ask how I learned this.  Black first, then gray of course.

To save water, do not take regular showers, turn on the water, get wet, turn off the water, soap up, turn on the water, rinse off, turn off the water. Same when washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc, DON'T let the water run.

Batteries: If you've got the heater running, that fan is sucking up battery juice. Turn down the thermostat, put lots of blankets and comforters on the bed, and cuddle a lot.

Level indicators: Don't trust them too much. Our black tank indicator has read "Full" for about 3 years now, even when emptied. You'll get a feel for how long you can go on the different tanks.

Black holding tank: If there's a restroom or pit toilet where you're staying, use it. If you go to the store or a tourist attraction or anywhere that there's a restroom, USE IT. You save where you can.

Wendy

Wendy said:
To save water, do not take regular showers, turn on the water, get wet, turn off the water, soap up, turn on the water, rinse off, turn off the water. Same when washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc, DON'T let the water run.

Batteries: If you've got the heater running, that fan is sucking up battery juice. Turn down the thermostat, put lots of blankets and comforters on the bed, and cuddle a lot.

Level indicators: Don't trust them too much. Our black tank indicator has read "Full" for about 3 years now, even when emptied. You'll get a feel for how long you can go on the different tanks.

Black holding tank: If there's a restroom or pit toilet where you're staying, use it. If you go to the store or a tourist attraction or anywhere that there's a restroom, USE IT. You save where you can.

Wendy
Great stuff. The furnace/battery thing really got us when dry camping. It would take the batteries down until the ignition would not work, but the combustion blower motor keeps running and draining the battery. We would wake up, cold, to the sound of a weak blower, and the propane alarm beeping due to low voltage.

Lost our virginity this weekend:)

Well, this subject line is going to draw thousands of views.....LOL
Sounds like you had a great trip, glad you're having fun. I think most will agree you learn a little more each trip, even after years of camping. You can sure get some great ideas here so you are in the right place.
What year and type of motorhome do you have? If you add this info to your signature line it will help with answering any questions you might have.

Posted by: Roy and Claudia

"need better support for the bed - (any ideas? Mattress is fine but bed sags to the middle so thinking some sort of brace across it)."

I'm not qualified to offer advise but I'll throw out an idea anyway. How about a piece of 1/2 inch plywood under the mattress to better support it. I've used this method on old box spring beds before and it makes a difference. You shouldn't need a real large piece. It will add weight to your unit. Best!

camperAL

Sounds like you are off to a good start on the learning curve - it's a bit different than at home where we have little incentive to manage any use of water or power.

Doesn't your mattress rest on a solid board? RV beds usually don't have springs or suspended frames, so how could the mattress sag unless it is the mattress itself? Tell us more about your bed and its frame.

Yes, the mattress rests on a board, which lifts up to give access to storage and tanks etc. It's that board that appears to sag in the middle - not sure - maybe it's not thick enough or just worn out and saggy from age (kind of like me)? We're going to try a metal brace or two across, attached under the board, to see if that will strengthen it - see how that feels to sleep on. The mattress itself doesn't appear to sag when you look at it but the board underneath isn't totally flat so I suspect that is the problem. We'll try this first and if it doesn't improve things then we'll look at new mattress options. 

We are basically newbies, learning on the fly as well. Here is what we do regarding water consumption. Perhaps we are all wet (pun intended), but here goes. If we are at a FH (full hook up) site, we hook up to the city water, which gives us an unlimited supply and doesn't use any of the water from the on board water tank. The we hook up to the sewer pipe and open our gray water tank, so any water we use drains directly in to the sewer. We know that at the same time the black water tank is filling. But our experience tells us that the black water tank fills much slower than the gray water, even though they have similar capacities. If we are on a one week trip for example, when we are down to 48 hours before we leave, we close the gray water valve and let the drain from the shower and the sinks start to fill it. Then when we pack up to leave, the last thing we do it dump the holding tanks, and there is enough water accumulated in the gray water tank to rinse the black.

This system allows us to take full showers without having to do the "military" style while we are at a campground.

We have no idea whether this is the right thing to do, but it seems to work for us.

parttymer said:
We have no idea whether this is the right thing to do, but it seems to work for us.

That is pretty much the right way to do it.  The only quibble I might had is to too close the grey water tank a day or two before you dump the black water.  That will allow about a third to a half tank of grey water to accumulate.    After dumping the black, you close off the black and then dump the grey tank.  The soapy water will clean out the sewer hose for you.

parttymer said:
The we hook up to the sewer pipe and open our gray water tank, so any water we use drains directly in to the sewer. We know that at the same time the black water tank is filling. But our experience tells us that the black water tank fills much slower than the gray water, even though they have similar capacities. If we are on a one week trip for example, when we are down to 48 hours before we leave, we close the gray water valve and let the drain from the shower and the sinks start to fill it. Then when we pack up to leave, the last thing we do it dump the holding tanks, and there is enough water accumulated in the gray water tank to rinse the black.

This system allows us to take full showers without having to do the "military" style while we are at a campground.

Great idea - I wasn't sure if it was ok to leave the gray water valve open when you are at a full service site. Even with two gray tanks, they still got full quite quickly! Thanks!

camperAL said:
Posted by: Roy and Claudia

"need better support for the bed - (any ideas? Mattress is fine but bed sags to the middle so thinking some sort of brace across it)."

I'm not qualified to offer advise but I'll throw out an idea anyway. How about a piece of 1/2 inch plywood under the mattress to better support it. I've used this method on old box spring beds before and it makes a difference. You shouldn't need a real large piece. It will add weight to your unit. Best!

camperAL

Thanks, camperAl - I'd thought of that too - remember my parents doing that to MY bed when I was a kid. My better half put on a couple of metal crossbars today and the bed seems to feel more solid. We'll see when we sleep on it. If that doesn't work we'll try the plywood.

Like on our first trip out with the TT Mom and I learned how to work the RV as a bookdocking rig. Find out that the grey water tanks are large enough for 2 days of typical life and the is just enough water for such. But the but batteries you need to bring along a small generator fo charging the batteries back up every evening.

So now that was done you know that hooking up to a full service site is a snap...  ;D

Obviously it varies form person to person, but we can get by on 20 gallons or less of water daily. If you're going to boondock, you have to learn to conserve. We also have collapsible 5 gallon totes (available at Walmart or a Coleman store) for potable water. We are able to be self sufficient in our class A for 3-5 days without too much effort. Thought I'd throw those figures at you for a benchmark.

Our plan is to dump before we leave anywhere then if we do end up boondocking we know we are good for a day or two at least!

Roy and Claudia said:
Yes, the mattress rests on a board, which lifts up to give access to storage and tanks etc. It's that board that appears to sag in the middle - not sure - maybe it's not thick enough or just worn out and saggy from age (kind of like me)? We're going to try a metal brace or two across, attached under the board, to see if that will strengthen it - see how that feels to sleep on. The mattress itself doesn't appear to sag when you look at it but the board underneath isn't totally flat so I suspect that is the problem. We'll try this first and if it doesn't improve things then we'll look at new mattress options.

What we did was run a piece of plywood from the head to the foot vertically and nailed it in place. Now we have a his and her side for storage and still have the center strengthed. :)

BTW The title caught my attention quick ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom