Lots of prep for a trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlesinGA

Been hustling for several days now, loading clothes, food, etc and checking tire pressures and other things to get ready to head out, Hitched up and ready to go, lights checked, which is easy in the dark, with the trailer backed up to the glass garage door, I can see the light reflections. One final walk around tomorrow. Will miss the kitties, but they are being taken care of.

Its not just the prep for the trip, but all of the usual stuff like putting out the garbage and getting litter boxes scooped and ready.

Charles

Charles, We know what you are talking about. We leave in the morning from Fort Worth for Tucson. We have to be there the 18th to be parked. Would have liked to leave earlier but had doctor visits to complete.
Bill

What I liked about the popup I had, and even more now with a class A is it's ready to go at all times. Even packing clothes and vittles is optional if we needed to bug out in a hurry, there's staples on board. Whenever it's parked I'm doing all the upkeep, repairs, inventory and testing so there's nothing last minute. DW can call me at work on a friday at lunch time "let's go camping" and we can be on the road in an hour after I get home. The less you save until "just before" the easier and less stressful the trips become.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I know what you mean. I just bought underwear, socks and a couple of other items of clothing that will stay in the trailer. Soaps, clean shower spray, a squeege for the shower, the Seilerbird razor, a bunch of odds and ends have been in there a while, but still, the starting of all of the Propane appliances to insure they are working, then cooling down the fridge, going over the truck, tire pressures, etc, PLUS all of the day to day stuff, garbage, getting the cats litter boxes, water fountains and such in top shape, buying some of the food for the trip, its a lot of running around.

I have tried leaving some basic food staples in the trailer but then I have to keep track of expiration dates and such. Its never ending.

I knew I wanted (edit) diesel fuel before we got out of Alabama (no sales tax on it there) and while it was $3.99 or so most everywhere according to Gas Buddy, I topped it off a the Creek Tribal Travel Plaza for $3.74. Sure, only saved a couple of bucks but it was easy on and off the interstate and the pumps and hoses were clean and fairly new (and you know how bad a diesel hose and nozzle can get)

We rode around after dinner, and Biloxi is a mix of poor, homeless and multi million dollar home owners.

Tomorrow we check out Biloxi, Possibly visit Beauvoir, Jefferson Davis' home for the last 12 years of his life.

Charles

Last edited:
Charles that's how we keep our MH stocked. The day prior to departure I turn on the fridge, stock it that afternoon. That only leaves our meds and us to load the day of departure. We even eat breakfast in the MH before leaving.
As to the best by date of canned and dry foodstuffs, I have about 300# of out-dated stuff to get rid of, no food kitchen will take outdated stuff for liability reasons, that leaves only the trash. Personally if the can isn't rusted I eat it. Got any suggestions?

Last edited:
I am shocked by those gas prices in Alabama, here in western Louisiana I paid $2.89 last night and thought that was high.

Charles that's how we keep our MH stocked. The day prior to departure I turn on the fridge, stock it that afternoon. That only leaves our meds and us to load the day of departure. We even eat breakfast in the MH before leaving.
As to the best by date of canned and dry foodstuffs, I have about 300# of out-dated stuff to get rid of, no food kitchen will take outdated stuff for liability reasons, that leaves only the trash. Personally if the can isn't rusted I eat it. Got any suggestions?
I too have been using it up. Most stuff is OK, on rare occasion I run into something that isn't right and I throw it. Alot of it was stuff like individual cups of cereal, mac/cheese packages, etc. I've been tossing more and more stuff lately however.

I am shocked by those gas prices in Alabama, here in western Louisiana I paid $2.89 last night and thought that was high.
Those gulf states (TX, LA, MS) have the lowest price fuel in the nation. You should be hit with a price jump any time you leave the region.

My work related travel the past week had me all over the southeast, operating mainly in/out of Memphis. The lowest cash prices I seen on diesel were in the Jackson MS area. I think I spotted a couple slightly below $3.50/gal. LA and TX a few cents more, then even more the farther away I went. Gasoline seemed more consistent throughout the region, generally in the $2.75-ish range, give or take 15¢.
Alabama (no sales tax on it there)
I play the fuel pricing game on the regular since I buy a lot of it. The past week was coincidentally busy, with both trucks operating almost every day of the billing cycle. This week's statement just came in at $2,773. My fuel program is one of the better cost+ deals small outfits like me can get, so along with playing the fuel price game, the average per gallon cost came in at $3.46.

Fun fact: (last I checked) there are 5 states that charge sales tax on truck fuel pumps: AL, CA, GA, IL, NY.

You mentioned you bought fuel on a reservation, so that may be why there was no sales tax at the pump. AL could just as well have rolled back that sales tax at the diesel pump in the past several years and I hadn't seen any news about it.

Another thing that usually doesn't make headlines is excise tax on fuel. It's a sneaky way states use to offset budget shortcomings when revenue from the much more publicly visible sales tax and fuel tax rates is not meeting budget.

For example, our governor here in Georgia has magnanimously "suspended fuel tax" to give Georgia consumers relief for a few periods in recent years. What the press release never mentions is that constituted only a fraction of the taxes stacked up on a gallon of fuel. Sales and excise taxes were never suspended. In fact, during one of the longer "fuel tax suspensions" the general assembly passed a record increase on the excise tax.

I guess the point I'm making is: don't get too far in the weeds when analyzing fuel prices. For any benefit you think you're getting (low or abated taxes) there's always something else (excise tax) clawing that back and then some.

Since most motor homes and tow pickups don't have the capacity on board to shop like I can with a semi, the best bet is stick with the busy national/regional convenience store chains. They move enough volume that their pump prices aren't too affected by days of inventory. Truck stops routinely upcharge 25¢ or more to cover overhead, so avoid those if you can to save a few bucks.

I hear you on the fuel prices. I am in California. I nurse and baby the rig until I cross the state line running on fumes, then fill up. Always at least a $1 cheaper once you cross the line. Same for coming back. Top off right before entering the state, fill it to the brim and any gas cans I have also.

Charles, I'm surprised you don't have an EFS Open Roads Diesel Fuel Card. During our just-completed two-month trip I saved $156 on the posted pump prices. The average fuel price we paid through about a dozen states was around $3.40-45 a gallon.

When we are prepping for a trip as we get closer to departure day I get more anxious that I may have forgotten something. By the time we pull out of the driveway, I'm lucky the rig with tow will move because the closer to departure the more I have to hold myself back from wanting to put more and more stuff in the rig, you know, in case we need it, LOL!

We take the most time prepping for the first trip of the season. After that, Canned goods and non perishable stuff (pasta, rice and mix packets) remains in the TT. Bath towels and wash cloths, personal hygiene stuff like soap, shampoo and toothpaste and tooth brushes, TP and paper towels along with a full set of clothes (unders and outers), and foot wear get loaded and stay there thru the season only to be washed and/or replaced at our leisure at the end of each trip.

After that first trip We just turn on the fridge, load up the perishables, and replace the consumables the day before leaving. Water tank gets filled the day before we leave and lug nut torques get checked as well. That only leaves checking tire pressure before hitching up on departure day.

Really not a big deal if you plan and pace yourself. ;)

Safe travels and all the best.

It seems every trip we take we are up way past midnight the before we leave getting crap done.
I concur! For me it’s the absolute worst aspect of rv’ing. The packing, and unpacking, imho takes all the joy out of the trip.
I would rather go in the back yard and dig a ditch.

Most items stay in the MH year round. Checklist is used 3 days before departure just in case something mechanical comes up and needs attention. Clothing is put in a laundry basket with hanging stuff on top. Additional food is purchased on the way out to the I-state. Dog and cat are thrown in along with DW and away-we-go.

On the second day we usually say "Dang,,,, forgot ________, Oh well not that important anyhow!"

Yep, same as 1stimerver, everything stays in the rig. When we get back home, we first do laundry from the rig immediately. When it's done, we'll fold it and place it on the sofa along with anything else we may have taken out of the rig at home. Then, as we constantly are going in and out of the rig in our driveway we'll put things away, and make a mental note of what needs to be done before our next departure from washing the floor and the outside to making the bed and replenishing any stock items such as dish soap, cooking oil, spices, etc. so everything is set by the time the next outing comes around.

But, darn it all I can't help myself thinking I need to add more. Luckily my wife will make a joke or three of how much is in the rig already that'll pull back my reigns.

We too leave the RV equipped and stocked. Slowly we are accumulating a full duplicate set of everything and leave it in the rig.

I do not check the tire pressures the morning we leave. I do it several days before. Then if there is a problem I have time to get it fixed without disrupting our initerary.

Back
Top Bottom