Lots of prep for a trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we lived in NC, SC and TN, we could go camping year-round. At that time, we had a hard sided Apache popup. It stayed packed all year. I kept clothes (thrift store since the kids grew so fast) in the camper year round (packed into plastic zip lock bags and then in boxes). Things like flour, dry muffin mixes, biscuit mix, hot cocoa mix, powdered milk, boxed mac & cheese, rice and pasta were stored in glass mason jars. In 18 years of traveling all over the SE, I never lost a jar due to traveling. I just slung a couple movies and perishable food in the refrigerator, closed it down and hooked up the car to the little camper. We did it often enough that the kids and I could be gone in 15 minutes. In our area we had a lot of places to camp at that were close to home.

With the truck camper, I basically do the same thing. The only difference is the truck rolls all the time and is rarely plugged in. The dog always has a couple days of food and a weeks worth of vitamins. She has an extra coat that is left in the camper. My daughter and I have a couple days worth of clothes (including a jacket each) packed along with a weeks worth of our vitamins. Basic foods are kept packed all the time. I just toss a couple frozen things from the freezer into the camper along with a few perishables (like butter, buns/bread, etc). Again, all foods like flour, dry muffin mixes, biscuit mix, hot cocoa mix, powdered milk, boxed mac & cheese, rice and pasta are stored in glass mason jars. We stop to fuel up the truck, pop into Sam's Club to pick up a few fresh items (salad makings, ready to cook entrees, etc), stop to top off the jug of drinking water if it's needed (RO water dispenser is across the street from the Sam's Club) and we're gone. Last week we drove about 1 hour from "home" for an overnight "tourist" trip (visited a museum). When we got home, the "camper clothes" (all marked with a "c" on a tag inside the clothes with a permanent marker) were tossed in a couple mesh laundry bags, laundered, folded and packed back in the camper. And food that is eaten is replaced within a week, usually from home stock.

BTW, with the trend of movies selling as Blue-Ray, DVD and digital in one package, I have gotten into the habit of sticking the DVD copies in a notebook in the truck camper. Since I buy the movies when they are under $10, I end up not spending much for the dedicated "camping" movies. Handy when the weather or bugs are too bad to sit outside.

We also keep a fair amount of cash hidden in the camper and also in our wallets. The museum we went to this past week was a cash only (a whopping $2 per person entrance LOL)

Last edited:
I have also noticed that a couple of the local BLM fee based campgrounds are now doing a scan & pay via the recreation.gov app.

@jackiemac

I guess getting ready for your trip from Scotland can be stressful? And then you have to get set up here. It is like double duty?

Are you all set to fly?
The stressful part for me is getting house here ready. Cleaning yuk. I'm almost half way but 2nd half more work. Kitchen and living room.

Also making sure security stuff all working - recharging batteries and doing some tests - Steves domain.

I book a hotel at the Airport for the day before we fly so we have a full day to do everything we need to, and can relax the day of trip.

Getting through border control can be stressful. We've had a 2nd interview twice. Must look suspicious 😂

The trailer set up is more work for Steve getting everything sanitised etc.

I make up the bed and put seat covers on and put anything we've brought away. I also charge things that have been left over winter. For example our outside lanterns that we use at the Campfire.

We then have a jaunt to Costco to buy our food and fill propane tanks etc.

If trailer dusty Steve might wash and wax it again but not too much to do.

I sometimes decide to leave some things in our cases at our storage place too. We always end up with too much. Im being better this trip. Less in case!

We're spending 2 weeks in Boulder City before we go travelling so we have time to get everything done. First night in a hotel. We can have several days relaxing too.

Thanks for asking 😁 I'm getting excited now. 😁

Don't worry too much about what you pack. Halfway down the road you will remember and make a U-Turn. How many packing lists did you write or check?
Well, you should be near stores for anything extra you may need. You will only get mad when you learn about what you had and did not use.
But make the most of the trip and what you have. Mostly have fun and let the adventures all be your own.

Yep, there is always a lot of things to do before heading out. It can be exhausting.

Don't forget to stop by the bank and get some actual "cash". It's always good to have some "cash" ... because you just never know when Credit Card or bank ATM card systems will not work. Not to mention those times you want to just pick up a pack of gum for $1.25 or so.

We carry ample cash, so in the event of lost credit cards, we have enough cash on hand to make it back home to use for food and fuel. Because ... you just never know.

I learned years and years and years ago to always have enough cash to return "home" in the event catastrophe happens. The farther the distance from "home" you go, the more "cushion" cash you need to keep available.

So, remember to stop by the bank before you head out!
Yep
Twice in our travels I pulled into a station low on fuel and a nearby wildfire cut the powerlines. Each time the station had a generator to power the pumps, but the card machines would not work. Plus we visit local roadside farm stands and craft fairs. Cash always comes in handy there.

During a trip to Sicily a few years back my wife and I got credit cards that promised no fee on the foreign exchange from U.S. currency to Euro's. We took a good amount of Euros with us too. We were with a group of 17. The first time I tried to use my CC it would not work, nor the second time. We were in this wonderful town on cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean a few days later. We wanted to buy some souvenirs. We tried using my wife's CC, denied. Tried again, but refused. I was PO'd, to say the least. So we used up a good amount of our Euros with several days left in Sicily. On the next sightseeing outing, we were visiting Mount Etna. Beautiful. We had enough Euros to go halfway up via cable car, but to go to the top via Russian-made Bogs we needed another $92 Euros which we ran out of. Our friend was going to lend us the money for me to pay back with U.S. cash back at our Villa, but my wife handed the ticket taker her CC to try, and this time it worked! When we came down the mountain, over 12K feet we used the card for more souvenirs at the various shops.

You never know what to expect with CC companies. Sometimes you just have to stop and scratch your head.

Prepping for another trip, dunno where though. Gotta figure out why th a/c compressor won't kick on. It worked after I installed the Easy Start, but I have not used it since then.

We've not been north of Linville Falls on the Blue Ridge Parkway, might be a good ride up into Virginia, and the Skyline Parkway.

Charles

Having survived our first trip, I feel like we are prepared... ;)
Might do a bit of tweaking with regard to what we bring with us, for our next outing, but we are ready to go.. (y)
Safe travels and all the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom