Loud generators, I don't understand why...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This summer a neighbor ran his Wal Mart special open frame generator all day to power his outdoor fridge. While not overly noisy at our site, he placed it well back on the other side of his unit, it still spoiled the peace and quiet we were seeking. I am a retired small engine mechanic, I LIKE peace and quiet. And the next kid that rips through the cg on his 125 motocross is in for a rude surprise. :mad:

xrated said:
I discovered way back when I was a mid teen that it was a lot cheaper to go very fast on a motorcycle vs. a car.  I bought a lightly used '72 Kawasaki 750 H2.  Three cylinder, two stroke, also known as the world's fastest production motorcycle at that time.  The summer of 1974 was spent at two different drag strips...one on Wed. Night and the other on Sat night.  The bike was stock with the exception of a set of Wirges brand expansion chambers (full race exhaust) and a carb rejetting to richen it back up.  I broke into the high 11 second times....11.89 in the 1/4 mile and low 6 seconds though the 1/8 mile at 95 mph.  At the end of the 1/8th mile, the front wheel would pull up just enough to turn the timing light off with the rear tire....front was up in the air a bit.  That was damn fast for a motorcycle back then....now days, not so much.  Lots of trophies and some cash, and the most fun summer I ever had on two wheels
How many center pistons did that H2 eat? All the guys I know that had them had trouble with them eating pistons. My buddy had a 72 that was setup for drag racing Heads milled, ported, and piped. He had an extended swing arm and wheelie bars with a huge fat slick on it. Couldn't keep pistons in the thing. He also had a 75 H2 that he rode on the street. I had hopped up snowmobiles for years, and those 2 strokes were fast but very unreliable when ya had them on the ragged edge where they ran the best.

Charlie 5320 said:
How many center pistons did that H2 eat? All the guys I know that had them had trouble with them eating pistons. My buddy had a 72 that was setup for drag racing Heads milled, ported, and piped. He had an extended swing arm and wheelie bars with a huge fat slick on it. Couldn't keep pistons in the thing. He also had a 75 H2 that he rode on the street. I had hopped up snowmobiles for years, and those 2 strokes were fast but very unreliable when ya had them on the ragged edge where they ran the best.

I seized the center piston once, but caught the clutch quick enough that all I had to do was let it cool off for about 15 minutes and I started it up and rode it home.  It seized up at 120 mph and me leaned over going around a long radius sweeping corner.  I took the head off and pulled the cylinder and honed it, put it back together and rode it for another six months or so.  The second time it seized up, the piston cracked and scarred the cylinder up, so I took it apart and had all three cylinders bored for .020 over....the firs oversized OEM piston.  A big part of the problem with why they seized up was that cylinder was directly inline  behind the front tire/fender and didn't get the air flow it needed to stay cool enough.  You could adjust the oil pump to flow a bit more oil, but then if you didn't run it hard, it would eventually foul the plugs from having too much oil in the mixture.....and it would smoke even more than it normally did.  Definitely a "finicky" bike in that regard....but Damn, they were fast.

Back
Top Bottom