Louisiana in February/March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmp

Want to travel from St. Louis, MO to Louisiana in late February/early March, and am looking campgrounds and interesting things to see. The only thing to make our list so far is Holly Beach and find shells/sea glass. Not into big city things, but more nature/history related. Not fond of "RV Parks", but prefer State, County/Parish, or better yet COE Parks (military FamCamps are also fine). Will probably spend about 2 - 3 weeks roaming about.
Thanks

We did the reverse last March.  We were in Texas and went east to Baton Rouge then north on Hwy 61.  There is a lot to see but what we really liked was Vicksburg, Ms.  We spent three days there and the battlefield is magnificent if you like history.  The city itself is very quaint and interesting.  Plan some time there.

That seems to be the perfect time weather wise, for LA.
You don't say where you're planning in LA, but we stayed at Fontainebleau State Park in Mandeville which is a nice quiet suburb only 20 minutes across the bridge to the music and food of New Orleans. Mandeville and Slidell itself has plenty to see.

First off be aware Mardi Gras is March 5th this year, which may make it difficult to find a place to stay that weekend.      I recently looked up the availability at Palmetto Island state park which is located south of Abbeville, LA (about an hours drive south of Lafayette) and they had availability from now until Mardi Gras week, some weeks nearly empty then booked solid for 3-4 days around Mardi Gras.  Palmetto Island is a nice little state park, though the mosquitoes can be an issue.  If you prefer state parks, instead of doing Holly Beach, you might consider crossing into Texas and staying at Sea Rim State park, it has been a number of years since I was last there, so can't comment too much on current conditions.  There are also several walking trails (board walks) in the national wildlife refuges along the Louisiana coast, that are nice unless you get caught between two alligators, as they like to sun themselves on the walking trails, also don't take dogs on the walking trails for the same reason.  Also be aware that the petro-chem construction industry is booming here in SW Louisiana right now, particularly in the Lake Charles area so all the commercial rv parks are filled with contractors, and they are building new contractor rv parks as fast as they can.    I know of at least 6 new ones in the last 2 years, all of which fill up within days of opening.

I too would suggest a couple of Louisiana adjacent options just across the river into Mississippi, first would be the Vicksburg battleground (though it is not large RV accessible), and secondly given your date range consider the Natchez pilgrimage https://natchezpilgrimage.com/spring-tours/ .    Unfortunately Louisiana does not have the greatest state park system, as it is historically underfunded, most national forest camping in the state is primitive or dispersed, also most of the COE campgrounds are in the northern part of the state.  There are a few exceptions, when it comes to public RV camping, there are some municipal parks with RV sites that are nice, as well as a few oddballs, like the Indian Creek Recreation area  http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/about/indian-creek-recreation-area/ located south of Alexandria which is operated by the department of agriculture, not to be confused with the commercial Indian Creek campground north of Hammond.

We are in a 22 ft B+ motorhome. Not even interested in Mardi Gras nor festivals. Wouldn't mind taking in a LADOG (Dutch Oven cooking event or two). Thinking about seeing Holly Beach for an afternoon or so and mainly staying in state  or COE parks. Probably come down 55 from STL and tour the eastern part of the state down to the coast and then back up the mid to western portion. Returning through Arkansas.

Keep in mind rural cajun country Mardi Gras is nothing like New Orleans Mardi Gras.  See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dId4-fyqgAc

Also be aware Cajun and Creole are not the same thing, either in culture or food

for food here is a good write up
https://www.louisianatravel.com/articles/cajun-vs-creole-food-what-difference

Note the vast majority of that stuff they serve in New Orleans is not real cajun food

p.s. we attended the dutch oven cooking demonstration lunch at Palmetto Island state park a couple of years ago, it was very local cajun in flavor, and ample food was served for lunch (small donation suggested), they also sold raffle tickets for various dutch oven cooking items with the drawing held either after or before the food was served.  Also be aware the cooking demonstration is held about 3/4 mile from the campground, the nearest parking for a class B would probably be about 1/4 mile from the demonstration at the playground / water park area.

I always stay on the Beach at Holly Beach usually for 3 or 4 days at a time. Just drive right out  on the beach and park for a few days. Bring a headlamp and walk the beach at night.  We love it there. Come in from the east so you can take  the ferry. If you watch at night you will see the shrimpers out all night as well as the oil platforms all lit up
There is a small RV park at Holly beach for long termers with a number to call if you want to stay in the CG.

A favorite eating spot is DI's in Basile Louisiana. Good food in the middle of nowhere. Nice little dance floor (two step and Waltz). Tell the manager you would like to spend the night after you are done and there should be no problem with parking in the lot overnight (I always park to tha left of the building near the restaurants runway).  You will be in the middle of rice fields and at that time of year the crawfish traps should be out and if you are lucky you will see the crawfish harvested. The stars at night will be tremendous.

In Lafayette Rondools restaurant is a great place for Cajun Music with a very nice dance floor. There is no cover or admission to dance you do not have to buy a meal. I have successfully spent the night there at the back of the lot. Again I ask for the manager and tell him my plans

Up near Natchez is the Private Riverview RV park located in Vidalia LA. It is right on the Mississippi river and you can sit on the bank and watch the barges, ships etc go up and down. Good clean laundry and nice pool and hot tub.  If not in your plans the the tourist info center in Natchez has a free dump and water fill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom