Louvre Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janmel

Hi, I am new to this forum. We are looking to purchase a second hand motor home and have checked out a few.
We have come across a 2003 Winnebago Leisure Seeker with louvre windows, and on taking this on a test drive we noticed most of these louvre windows seem to flap in the wind as we drive along.
Wondering if this is a real problem and if there is a solution to fix this.

Welcome to the forum.
They should not be flapping in the wind. Eventually something is going to break and that may not be pretty. Can you rotate the mechanism handle just a little bit to put some close pressure on the linkage And window? Ask the seller about it. If he says they are OK that way, don’t believe them.

Last edited:
Louver or awning windows don't exactly seal tight and tend to have wind noise when driving, but they shouldn't "flap", i.e. visibly move as you drive.

The window mechanism is a gear driven torsion rod and old ones can get worn and a bit wobbly. Try turning the handle as Rene suggests and see if that helps. Replacing the gear drive usually isn't difficult but finding the exact part can sometimes be challenging. There are literally dozens of different designs and some are no longer available, so its a junk yard search.

Maybe the previous owner traveled with them open and the wind buffetting loosened up the mechanisms?

Parts for any 20-year-old RV are going to be problematic, even where there is a lot of infrastructure (RV dealers, RV parts suppliers, & RV salvage yards). In a locale where Rv support is limited, be prepared for lengthy parts searches and a lot of DIY jury-rigging to keep the old gal functional.

I did a little research and found that the Leasure Seeker is a class C built on either a Sprinter or Iveco cab and chassis. The WBO online parts books do not show anything but the US models and these are quite different. Here is a pic I found online of one on an Iveco chassis model with a large picture window that appears to have the louvers you refer to. These have not been used in the US that I know of in many years and not of the same design. Gotta love the extended heavy duty bumper and grill guard.

IMG_2252.jpg

This is the forerunner of the WBO View introduced in 2005 in the US but with a raised fiberglass shell cab over area, stepping down to a lower roof on the remainder of the coach. I had a 2007 but it did not have windows like this.

If you do buy it, and simply are unable to get the windows to close tightly and seal out dust and noise, you could consider using a black urethane sealant such as used to install windshields, and with a lot of masking, seal the window panels shut with the urethane. Talk to a windshield shop. Careful masking and application of the sealant would yield a nice looking job, the windows would merely look closed all the time.

Charles

Thank you all for your inputs. It sounds like they definitely will not last as is. It appears to me that the problem is at each of the 4 rivets attaching the louvre panel to the side bar mechanism and these would need to be replaced/tightened. Some panels are worse than others. Window handles are are closed as tight as they can be so this doesn’t seem to be where the problem is.
Is it possible that the whole window can be replaced with slide windows? Is the window space usually consistent across the models in Winnebagos?

Sorry, but there is no consistency at all in window sizes. Not even a commonly used size. But yes it can be replaced; just measure the rough opening (the wall cutout dimensions) and look for a match in a style you like. Recpro has quite a few; so does Lippert.

If the problem is loose rivets, can you get at them to replace with pop rivets? That would be a cheap and easy fix.

Thanks everyone for all your help and responding to my questions.
I S hould have mentioned we are in Australia. The van is great in every other way and at our price, and it’s just up the road. So we will pursue getting it checked out, first by a handy man we know and then by a caravan repairs place (which is not so local).
Thanks all again.

Thanks everyone for all your help and responding to my questions.
I S hould have mentioned we are in Australia. The van is great in every other way and at our price, and it’s just up the road. So we will pursue getting it checked out, first by a handy man we know and then by a caravan repairs place (which is not so local).
Thanks all again.
Hi
Did you manage to get this rectified, as I have the same problem on a 2007 Winnebago Leisure Seeker

Hi
Did you manage to get this rectified, as I have the same problem on a 2007 Winnebago Leisure Seeker
Not likely you’ll get a response. They haven’t been back since 7/23/23. You could try starting a “conversation “ with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom