Low pressure LP Accessory connection on a 2015 Itasca Sunstar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

831fiona

I was wondering if anyone knows of an actual grill or stove that would work with this connection.  Seems to me it is a waste since Weber and most products have a regulator already on them and won't work.  Not sure why it was even added to the coach.  Any advice?

Most portable grills have their own built-in regulators so you're right, they won't work well when connected to the low pressure side of your propane tank's regulator. However, many of us have installed T-fittings on the high pressure side of the regulator, and that allows those grills to be used.

Kev

Good to know.  Thank you for the info!  I am still having problems with why WB put in the connection, seems not so convenient overall.  Love the new unit though, so I guess I can live with it.?

Few people at the RV factory take the time or spend the money to actually learn much about the stuff they add on. Some marketing guy went to an RV show and talked to some owners. A couple of them mentioned they wished they had a propane outlet for their grill, so when the marketing guy got back to the factory, he said "we need an outside propane outlet". And the product engineering dept (5 guys who used to work the assembly line) figured they could put a Tee in the coach LP line and an outlet on the side. Voila! Another "market requirement" quickly & inexpensively met! They weren't shipping a grill with the coach, so nobody bothered to check to see if there were many that could actually use that low pressure outlet.  Good intentions, but poorly executed.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Few people at the RV factory take the time or spend the money to actually learn much about the stuff they add on. Some marketing guy went to an RV show and talked to some owners. A couple of them mentioned they wished they had a propane outlet for their grill, so when the marketing guy got back to the factory, he said "we need an outside propane outlet". And the product engineering dept (5 guys who used to work the assembly line) figured they could put a Tee in the coach LP line and an outlet on the side. Voila! Another "market requirement" quickly & inexpensively met! They weren't shipping a grill with the coach, so nobody bothered to check to see if there were many that could actually use that low pressure outlet.  Good intentions, but poorly executed.
LOL.  ;D I had to laugh while I read your explanation Gary. It's almost like you were standing right next to the marketing guy, then the five project engineers when they were doing their thing! The funny thing is, it's probably not too far from the truth. Too funny ;D

Kev

I've been around those guys, and corporate America, long enough to visualize exactly how it happened. I've over 25 years of product development experience and have consulted with several major companies, so have seen this sort of thing more than once, and have shared war stories with a lot of engineers and product reps after hours.

I even have an acquaintance who worked in the electrical engineering dept of a major RV manufacturer. And yes, he was an assembly line employee who was promoted for doing excellent work. His electrical background consisted of installing wiring harnesses in coaches and doing the usual DIY stuff with his vehicles and his own coach.  He has some stories to tell...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom