LT or ST tires on my 5er . . . . ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LTs or STs on a trailer are six of one, half dozen of the other.    You will find LTs easier to find and easier to avoid Chinese tires of dubious quality with.  The price may even be better.

So . . . .
After posting my question I went over to Les Schwab and all of their trailer tires are made in China but they have 10 ply up to about 3,400 psi load.  Next I went to Discount Tire Co to talk about Michelin LT XPS RIBs. The salesman claimed they were not made in China but didn't seem too sure - USA or Canada he said.

Another factor is the Chinese tires can be purchase with weight ranges up to 3,400 lb psi load per tire while the Michelin's are 3,000 lb psi load and the trailer is 12,000k loaded. I notice on Goodyears website they have a Marathon tire which is 3,420 psi. Does anybody know anything about that tire?

Still another factor is my 6 year old Goodyear Marathons have treads and sidewalls that look real good - BUT - they are 6 years old. Its seems that no two people even at the tire stores can get together on if or how, time is a factor in tire life therefore I don't even know for sure that I should be buying new tires.

Macho Law prohibits me from admitting I'm stupid.

Let me put my $0.02 worth in on this one. my 5year 10 month Good year old tires (By the date code)just left me on the side of SC highway 9 changing a blow out that will cost me about $600 by the time I replace the tires and the trim along the bottom of my 5th wheel that the tire tore off as it let go at 60mph.  So now that you have heard that you are doing the right thing getting tires if yours are 6 years old as mine were showing no cracks or signs of failing.

My 5th wheel is only about 8500 loaded lbs so the load range on the tires was not as much of a problem with mine as it will be with the weight you are carying. Good luck with your tire search I went through that last week it is a headache but just part of the owners right of passage.

Good luck and safe travels

Phil

Take a look at this thread from earlier this year. I went through this whole tire selection and replacement process after a blowout on a trip.

Huronwoods said:
Take a look at this thread from earlier this year. I went through this whole tire selection and replacement process after a blowout on a trip.

Thank you for the tip Huron.
Actually I found that thread after starting this one and as a result decided that considering all of the complaints regarding ST tires and Chinese tires I would go with the LT tires manufactured in the (good old) USA.
I have purchased four Firestone Transforce HT 235/85/16 tires at a price competitive with any of the Chinese ST products and much cheaper than the Michelins LT's.
According to the Firestone rep the HT designation stands for "highway tread" but because they are 10 ply that makes them truck tires by default.
Oh yea - and they are manufactured in the (good old) USA.
Happy RVing,
Jim

Transforce HT is the tire I put on our fifth wheel after the problems last December. I used 225/75-16. We have had this same tire in size 235/85-16 on our F350 dually for the last three years, with excellent results.

Back
Top Bottom