lubricating slide outs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alfonseh

I am new to the RV world and have a 2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL that I am living in full time.  I have a question about the slide outs and how often to lubricate them, if at all.  In my research I have seen all kinds of advice ranging from lubing them once a week to never.  What advice can you guys give me for this?  Thanks in advance!

Welcome!!

Most seem to suggest "NEVER" as to adding a lubricant to most things under there only succeeds in creating a gooey mess with road dirt etc. Perhaps inside and around the motor gear, a little light oil, nothing on the rollers or slide pads. You would not want to track a lot of 'stuff' inside when you pull the slides in.

I heard to do it once a year with the slide out lube sold a rv stores.

Best bet is to follow manufacturers recommendation. If one does lube their slides, I would use a dry lube to avoid attracting dust and dirt. That will only cause problems.

Mine has the Lippert slides
I found a youtube video put out by Lipert, that demonstrated lubing the mechanism with a specified teflon spray into very specific wear points

But from what I have been able to learn here and elsewhere, that all of these aftermarket slide seal products are really just ways for folks to get your money.  Not needed.

Like out here with the high humidity in the winter time you need to put some lubricant on exposed metal parts or rust forms. Like where the rollers have taken the paint off the slide arms I will lightly spray with dry silicone spray. Roller axles yes for sure lube them. Then like on my Power Gear there is a gear box in the middle for the hand crank that is packed with grease. Then on the electric motor there is a oil hole. Each slide setup will have something a bit different.

Rich, might be this video.....hope all is well with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbVRFMo1Rg

Just about everything that moves requires some kind of lube sooner or later. Problem is most get overly ambitious and lube too often and then use the wrong type of lube. Play it safe, if you don't have any problems don't create one. Use the OEM recommendations in your manual (or call) for type of lube, usually a Teflon spray or something that won't drag gear lube onto your carpet. Keep the outer sides of your slides waxed liked the rest of the rig. Helps them to go past the rubber seals easier. Use the rubber seal conditioner sold at CW or the like on the rubber seals about once per year. One $10 can should last a lifetime! Keeps them from drying out and allows the slide to go by them easier. This is what keeps the wind and rain out so you want them to be somewhat pliable. When the rubber seals dry out and start to stick they tear when the slide is extended so you can tell if they are getting dry by feeling them. No magic, just like everything, do it in moderation and have fun!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom