Lucked out on Saturday, RV break in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carl63_99

So I keep my Coachmen Catalina stored at the resort near Canyon Lake, Texas.  Saturday afternoon we get a disturbing call that someone broke into our RV.  We had to push other plans aside to run down there see what the damage was.  Someone had taken a knife to the cover so they could get to the door.  Why they didn't just unzip the zipper, which was RIGHT by the door, is beyond me.  They busted the handle off the door trying to get it open, then used some kind of prybar on it when that didn't work.  Since the RV has been sitting for about a month, the inside was dusty, and I could see finger marks on the TV so they at least took a look at it, and I'm guessing they passed it over as not being worth the trouble. 

The cover already had a few rips and worn spots, so I was planning to replace it in the spring.  The door handle is about $80 on ebay, so I'm ordering a new one and will replace it when I go down there for Halloween.  All in all, I was lucky.  A 5th wheel did get a flat screen Sony stolen and the thiefs could have trashed the place and left us with a mess to clean up.  This was the first time ever that the place had any problem like this, and they're going to be watching the storage even more closely now.

Sounds like kids looking for a quick score. You are fortunate it was not more serious.

carl63_99 said:
S  Someone had taken a knife to the cover so they could get to the door.  Why they didn't just unzip the zipper, which was RIGHT by the door, is beyond me. 

Crooks and thieves aren't exactly known for their brainpower.

They got me about a year ago at a local dealers.  They were not interested in our TVs as they are not flat screens.  They took walkie-talkies, DVD player, flash light, and a bottle of scotch.  $1100 damage getting in.

We know that feeling well. 2002 fleetwood southwind. has a drivers door. They pried on it so hard that it was bent beyond repair, pout a hole though our house door and after all that failed, they climbed up the ladder and broke though the skylight. $9,000 plus to get all repaired.  Cops would not even come out. They left the screwdriver behind and the cops would not even check it for fingerprints.  Insurance went up $500 a year for that claim. Can't win.

As I said, I was luckier than most.  Whomever it was went in and checked the TV and left.  I was able to lay down the cover and duct tape it from both sides.  it should hold for a while until we can get a new cover.  Fortunately, that was something I saw a need for already.

As for the door handle, ebay.  It was the expensive one, cost about $83, but it was ten minutes to repair and the handle and locks work so nice now.  I hit the door edge with a hammer 3-4 times and the dents were smoothed out.  You can barely see it in the picture.  It rots to have people around who can do this, but it didn't dampen our spirits, we spent Halloween weekend in the RV and had a great time.

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    387.9 KB · Views: 35
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 32
Yes, when my soft cover Jeep Wrangler was broken into, they slashed the soft cover right next to the zipper. Not easy to replace, since most dealers/manufacturers require you to buy the whole top.

Back
Top Bottom