Magic Chef Pilot lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeandShirley

I tried to light my oven but can't seem to figure out where to put the flame.  I've had a motorhome before and new where it was but apparently it's not in the same place in this oven or something is wrong.  Could someone send me a picture or a diagram of where to hold the flame to light this oven?  Thank you!

Get down on your hands and knees and open the oven door.  Look under the metal flare plate and near the back you should see the pilot assembly.  It will have two tubes running to it with a small sheet metal cover over part of it.  Place the gas match there while turning the oven control to pilot and pushing the knob in.  Simply move the match around a bit until you see the flame appear.

I did try that but will try again.  I had a motorhome a few years ago and always just stuck the lighter in there and knew where it was - but this time, it just wouldn't light, so thought perhaps it was in another location or broken.  Thanks for your help.

Are you sure the propane is turned on outside?  Mine takes quite a while to light and does better when I set it at a temperature and forget about the Pilot marking on the knob.

ArdraF

We have the same oven and there is no way I can light that thing by myself.  Sooooo DH gets on the floor with the stick lighter and my job is to hold in and turn the knob.  Not pretty, but that's how we do it.

I have to agree, they are a pain.  It was so bad that MC sent out a technician to work on ours.  At the end of the day after he left the pilot flame is so weak that it barely holds the thermocouple on.  Mine usually takes me about five minutes to light.  I find that a gas match turned up really high works best.  Heating the thermocouple and lighting the pilot at the same time.

Thanks Rubber Tramps and donn........NOW I GET IT!  How many times in life did you miss a little step.  When you mentioned "holding the knob in" well I never did that; I just turned the pilot on and climbed in to light it.  Thanks so much for your help in thinking sharper and reading more closely!  Getting old..  :)

~~BUMP !! BUMP ~~ Thank you all who answered this POST. 

Just SAVED me $$$$ Same problem ~ same stove.  My trouble shooter guy spent several hours taking stuff out ~ blowing lines ~~  etc.etc. ~~ still no lite.  Figgured it to be the valve it self .  Had appointment set at dealership for repair UNTIL I read this post.  Thank You all again.  Kate

The "better way" was described by Ardra above.  Instead of turning the oven knob to "pilot" and holding the knob in while you try to light the pilot, turn the knob all the way up to the temperature you want.  This will bypass the thermocouple and start the gas flow to the pilot, so don't dawdle here, move your lighter back to the pilot burner.  It should light immediately and stay lit.

When the thermocouple comes up to temperature (30 seconds or so after you light the pilot), the main burner will light and you're off and running.

Again, note that the gas starts flowing to the pilot as soon as you turn the knob to a temperature past the "pilot" setting - whether or not the pilot is lit.  So don't leave it there without lighting the pilot!

1bgmxcn said:
We don't use ours that often because of the huge PITA it is to light it.  There really ought to be a better way!

I don't know about your oven, but on our Magic Chef the bottom grill and the metal plate under it can both be easily removed to expose the pilot area.
That's the way my wife does it so she doesn't have to get down on the floor.

We never use the oven for anything but storage. Use the microwave instead. Never light a pilot light on the stove either. When we use the stovetop, we light  the burners manually. If it can't be nuked or burned on the bbq, we don't eat it.  ;)

I will use Ardas way, was just thinking about dreading to light the durn thing.  The salesman like to never got the pilot lit in our motorhome.  I can't believe Magic Chef hasn't made their stoves more modern, this is the same as the really old ones.  I guess because they are about the only supplier.  Someone will come along one day with lots better because this is a royal pain and they will wonder why.

I ended up using one of those long butane lighter things.  I tried to light the burner itself and it wouldn't light, so I got it way back there under the pilot and let it heat up and it finally lit the pilot.  What a pain in the tush.  There has to be a better oven to put in those things. But it cooked good, I made cinnamon rolls while we were out and about and would have baked more but forgot a cookie sheet, so I didn't make cookies.  DD was dissappointed, but honestly we didn't need all those calories anyway. I need to remember to buy a cookie sheet for the motorhome.

Back
Top Bottom