maintaining batteries while in storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

I just installed four new 6 volt golf cart batteries in my 5 er. I have a new converter with a "smart " 45 amp battery charger. In addition I have 240 watt solar system.  Question, will this system give me max battery life while in storage which is 8 or 9 months out of the year?

As long as all your loads are off  it should be fine... But your going to have to still go out to the RV once a month or so and check the battery water level. All batteries loose a bit of water during there charge cycle.

Hard to say.  Is the rv plugged in while in storage?  If not, the converter isn't doing anything. pro or con. Whether the solar is helping depends on the amount of sun - zero if the rv is covered.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Hard to say.  Is the rv plugged in while in storage?  If not, the converter isn't doing anything. pro or con. Whether the solar is helping depends on the amount of sun - zero if the rv is covered.

Brings up another valid point... Solar amount depend on where you live too. Like up here where I'm at in Idaho solar is worth come winter time because of the really short days we have because of living in this deep canyon. Like 5 hours of low angle day light.

Is it possible to keep it plugged in during the winter time?

I live in Southern California.  My rig had solar and 2 12V Lifeline deep cycle batteries.  The solar, a few hundred watts, kept the batteries in condition just fine year around in storage.  The batteries were sealed units so no need for water adding -- not even possible.    So the answer is moderate climate, low latitude, sealed unit batteries, and good solar unit.  Oh yeah, outdoor storage and no cover.

Thanks for the responce...I store the unit on the coast in central Calif and keep in plugged in. As I understand it the battery charger is designed to increase the the amperage every 23 hours or so to stir up the acid to improve battery life. I was wondering if  this was being impacted by the solar system ?

wally12 said:
Thanks for the responce...I store the unit on the coast in central Calif and keep in plugged in. As I understand it the battery charger is designed to increase the the amperage every 23 hours or so to stir up the acid to improve battery life. I was wondering if  this was being impacted by the solar system ?

Actually, the solar system used its own controller and was connected directly to the batteries.  It bypassed the battery master switch.  That permitted cutting out all house loads on the battery in storage but allowed the solar controller to maintain the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom