major pop-up work happening here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonanavystar

Hello,
    I have a 1995 Palomino Mustang pop-up (12 ft variety).  Today, while doing some routine work, I discovered a major problem.  There was a lot of rotting wood, (seems like water damage) to the front lip of the roof (the widthwise piece).  About 1/3 of the plank (about 8ft long by 6 inches wide) was absolutely destroyed from rotting wood and mold damage.  The damage started in the corner, and spread.  That also means that the lengthwise piece in the driver side (as the trailer is pulled down the road) is also experiencing this damage.  I was able to fairly easily remove the front wood plank, but the side one seems like it will be more complicated, as its probably one piece, front to rear, and the mounts for the roof lift are on this piece.  Is there another way to strengthen where this wood is rotted?  Also, since I have taken the wood away from the aluminum roofing sheet, what kind of epoxy will bond the wood to the aluminum? 
  Another thought I had was to cut the aluminum flap (since I cracked it while moving around getting the wood off) and replacing the whole area with a fiberglass board (similar to the material found on a ski boat's fiberglass swim dock, sometimes called star-board or star brite) and using a piece of roofing angle iron to make the weather seal on the seam of the fiberglass and the existing roof.  What do you think about this?  Since there is a crack I will either have to do this, or patch that crack in the seam.  any ideas on patching the crack? 
  And of course all this started from a water leak in the roof, which will get fixed.  I dont want to take this to a shop, as they will probably laugh at me, and I dont want to get rid of this thing just yet, so I am open to any ideas, barring replacing the entire roof. 

Thanks

Can't offer any specific suggestions but you should make sure that whatever you do has about the same or slightly lower weight than the original materials.  Otherwise I can envision a topheavy towing nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom