Makin a list; checking it twice... going to get what I want and only what I want

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mut

OK; I have an interesting story behind my RV experience... but after using what I have had for a year; the DW and I have decided to invest in a new Bumper Pull.

I started looking for used ones (craigslist and online) but the cost for what we wanted was still quite high; DW looked at the cost of new ones and suggested that we just get a new one for the few 1000 difference.  "Then you wont have to deal with someone else's redneckery"

I said if we are doing this lets get a Toy Hauler since we like open and adjustable floor plans.

WITH all that upfront; and letting y'all know that I have read the "what we would change" and the "what we love" thread in this forum... I would like to put those topics back on the table; specifically for tow behinds / toy haulers.  The answers can be any aspect of the RV from the radio it has or cabinet handles, to the frame it is built on or the siding that was used for the exterior...

What is it about your RV that you are just so glad it has?
What is it about you RV that you wish you did not have?

We have a list started but I am looking for experienced persons to chime in on their experiences... TIA

mut said:
DW looked at the cost of new ones and suggested that we just get a new one for the few 1000 difference.  "Then you wont have to deal with someone else's redneckery"

Yes you are right, but if you get something 3 or 4 years old, you shouldn't have any issues. You'll have many more headaches if you buy new because of the time it will be spent in the shop for warrantee items. Buying used, the original owner already went through this.
Also buying new you take a huge hit on depreciation as soon as you tow it off the lot. And who knows, rv'ing may not be for you.

Rene saved me  some typing!  He is spot on with regard to new camper problems usually far worse than any problems with  gently used well maintained 3 or 4 year old unit.

What I want should mean little to you.  What do YOU and DW want?  Look at lots of units, both new and used, and make notes of what YOU like and dislike.  The most important thing is FLOOR PLAN!  Get what works for you.

We have a FW, not TH.  For us, must haves included island or peninsula kitchen, large fridge, walk around bed, shower with a seat, two A/c units.  Our big addition has been two SWIVEL recliners.  Our unit came with very basic recliners.  The new ones are a terrific addition.

We bought a 9 year old unit, and it did have a couple issues.  Water heater electric element was shot ($10), and battery needed replaced ($100).  It sold for $73,000 new and we got it for $26,000.

Thanks Rene - but as evwryone has said... "Buy a floor plan"
We cannot find a floorplan that we out cannot go without; another reason why we are going to go new build - all custom.

Grassley - we know rving is something we like, just under a year and we used it about 6 times, totalling maybe 20 nights... Thats why DW is suggesting a new BP TH.
I do like your other suggestions, and will consider.

Anymore ideas from others would still be an interest to me.

I am staying in my in laws Open Ranger Roamer a lot right now and it has an island kitchen. I have decided I absolutely hate it because of the room it takes up. If I stub my toe one more time on it I may get the sawzall out and go to work! My vote will always be for a peninsula kitchen.

It also has an Outdoor Kitchen. I think it?s a complete waste of space. Even when parked under a full shelter the outdoor fridge cant get a beer cold unlike a $2 bag of ice.  Also if it didn?t have that the bottom bunk would be a full length double instead of a full length ?couch? only my 5 year old can sleep in.

Velociraptor said:
... It also has an Outdoor Kitchen. I think it?s a complete waste of space... Also if it didn?t have that the bottom bunk would be a full length double instead of a full length ?couch? only my 5 year old can sleep in.

Much agreed. Thanks for confirming that outside kitchens (i cook most meals outside) are a waste of space. A table and a small propane flattop is all I need for outside kitchen.

Further on their Open Range the griddle / grill gas piping is to small and cooks SLOW. We never use it because of this. Like you we use a plastic table and a real grill mostly.

It does comes with an alternative connection near the door for a small Flame King grill to hang. Now I will say it does cook well but it is not part of the outdoor kitchen.

The fridge gets bottled water only and the sink gets limited use.

We bought our TT new and were happy with it.

Are you going to be doing a lot of boondocking?  If so consider the batteries and perhaps solar and the size of the tanks you have so that you can last for several days without having to dump.  Refilling water can be easy but worth considering the size of the fresh tank also.

Not sure if you are 2 or a big family.  Do you need the bench/table or dining and chairs or do you not need either?  Use the space for something else.

Hanging space or cupboards and drawers?

Just a few things to consider if you are able to customise.

Good luck.

One thing I wish I had would be more windows on the door side and less windows on service side watching the neighbors all day and night or keeping blinds drawn. Also as far as the outside kitchen we love ours and have never cooked inside. I too have a 3 burner propane stove from Costco with legs for cooking and rarely use the outside stove but love the prep space it provides and use the sink quite often for rinsing utensils and hands. The small fridge is used for condiments and drinks so as not to keep running in and out of TT. The center island would be gone as someone else mentioned it just gets in the way and serves no purpose other than doing dishes. My outside kitchen also has a TV that can be rotated from inside to outside so I can watch the new while having my morning coffee.

These are all GREAT ideas/suggestions.  Please keep them coming; my list is getting quite extensive - but it will be way worth it.

We usually try to boondock - love the "away from people" feeling.
We are a family usually supply for 4 but do accommodate up to 10 - yes all at once and yes in the 30ft TH (at least we hope to).  We do not "live" in the RV; it is only for times of heavy rain and nights to sleep.  We usually are out hiking or goofing around in the wilderness.

An outside sink is going to happen, but i was thinking of a hot/cold spigot with hose attachment that will lead to a small outside sink that I will catch in a 5 gal pale.

Now if our outdoor kitchen had a TV I may be all for it lol!

I assumed but don?t most TT have water hose at the fresh water connection? Would be easy to rig up with a tee if not. Now hot water would take a little more work.

Yeah if you got a lot of people you definetly dont want an island kitchen. We all agree it makes us not want to sit inside ever with more than 2 people because of tripping over each other.

Easy enough to hook up a tee at either end, either the service end or at the trailer inlet. I see people with it most commonly at the CG outlet and then they use it for flushing their black tanks without the trouble of unhooking and switching back and forth and for rinsing items.

Velociraptor said:
I assumed but don?t most TT have water hose at the fresh water connection? Would be easy to rig up with a tee if not. Now hot water would take a little more work.

I mis-directed you... Of course the water inlet will have a water hook up - one to fill the tanks, and another for when we want to use the "city water" instead of our tanks... I ALSO want a hot/cold hose connection OUTPUT - probably in lieu of an outside shower, and probably on the curb side near the rear if possible so i can use it for a portable sink / washing down the "toy(s)" before putting them back in the TH.

Back
Top Bottom