Making pens...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeLacey

It started off as a hobby and now I am ready to move up to "big time".  I have a lightweight lathe (bought it because I was going to put it in the storage bay of the motorhome (42 pounds).  However, wife decided to "settle down", so now I use it in the hobby room.  If interested in buying it... let me know.

However, here's a hobby that is fun, produces a functional gift and provides a fairly quick result of happiness<grin>  I've just been turning pens for about a year now... have more than 80 pens... I gave away over 25 ...called them my "practice pens".  I am still learning.  Just received my "cast-your-pen" kit.  It allows you to produce a clear plastic mold of just about anything...  You can also buy things that are already cast from a mold and turn them on the lathe to make a pen.  I just finished turning the computer chip pen (commercial cast).  I now have a rattlesnake skin in a mold (also commercial mold) that my wife wants made into a pen.  I've also got an actual corn cob that I will be turning into a pen.

So, making pens and pencils is more than just turning wood into a written instrument....  IF you are already turning pens, I want to hear from you.. boy...do I have questions<grin>

-joe

<<to John in Detroit... you wrote....I'd like to hear more about this hobby.. IE: Any lnks to "How to" web pages?>>

I did the 'back door' approach.  Saw a guy turning a pen at the Sunflower woodshop and got interested.  I sent away for a book "The Pen Turner's Workbook".  It was enough to "turn me on"<grin>  I think I was so involved "doing", that I didn't really investigate a bunch of links....

I use HUT, Bereau hardwoods, PennStateIndustries for most of my pen supplies.  If you have access to a lathe, then all you need is about $50 for the correct mandrel (about $20) and another 10-20 bucks for a couple pen blanks and the associated pen hardware kit(s).  If you have access to a lather, you probably have access to lathe chisels.  On the other hand, if yolu need to purchase a lathe... talk to me and I can share my experience.... As I shared earlier, I thought I was going to put it in the motorhome.  Now, of course, since I'm definitely heavy into making pens... I'd enjoy a lathe that has more "ability"?  oh well... suffice it to say my basic lathe is great for my needs... just like a basic RV works great....until you want to travel fulltime<grin>...you know what I mean.  Got to go... send me e-mail and then we can go to phone (if you want)
-joe 

Joe showed me one of his "silicon chip" pens at QZ. Very interesting.

If you're interested check out the various woodworking forums. There are a lot of people out there that do this. Many work the fair/carnival/homeshow circuit.
Since only a small blank of wood is used many are made of very exotic woods.

Woody

Thanks .. I do not have a lath but... I do have ideas.   I think I'll look into that book.   

In fact that book sounds like exactly the info I asked for.. (Researching as soon as I post this reply)

On edit.. I had two Amazon gift cards collecting dust, 4 bucks and change later... It's on it's way

Hey, here's a subject I just "might" be able to help folks out with.  Turns out (pun intended) that I'm a professional furnituremaker.  Pens (and pencils) are a staple for me around the holidays...although I use them as loss-leaders since there isn't really enough profit in them to cover my overhead.

I have quite a few return clients that order them to satisfy a lot of their gift-giving.  I had one client that actually gave me a list of over twenty pens, many very custom and very expensive, that would satisfy ALL her gift giving for the year.

There are TONS of websites that will get the beginner started.  Here are just a few:

Both of these sites have active forums:
http://www.penturners.org/
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Here's where I do most of my shopping for supplies:
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Default.htm
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making?Args=

I'd post a link to my web site that has pictures of lots of the pens I've turned, but I don't want to be seen as trying to promote a commercial website.  :-\

Anyway, feel free to ask questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.  Maybe I can lend folks on here a hand, and help pay back all of the help we've gotten from y'all!  ;)

- Marty -

Thanks for the tip on the web sites.  I just turned "mother-of-pen" acrylic blank ($16.95) just for the blank.  Very nice, but I have to watch myself...otherwise I end up buying a lot of expensive pen blanks (I don't have ready access to quality wood.... without paying through the nose<grin>

PennStateIndustry is offering FREE DVD (professionally made) on pen turning.  Price is right.... I ordered one this morning... I can definitely learn more about this hobby.

-joe

I think there is a pun in there (Penn State-Pen making) but I'm going to ask for a link

I have the book the O/P referenced on order, actually it has been shipped already.. I had a couple of dusty old Amazon coupons sitting in my E-mail so it was downright inexensive

Sounds like a great hobby.  I used to want to be a household and office "little things" repair person - I prided myself in repairing my Dad's pens and my Mom's clothespins.  I was in hog heaven when I got to repair the family stapler.

<<repair clothes pins>>  I guess you used the stapler.

Guy cme into the woodshop Friday with a bag of wood and couple of pen kits and the mandrel and appropriate bearings and wanted me to show him how to make pens....(I'm a monitor at the woodshop).  Took him through a few steps and then he had to leave... but got him to saw the wood to the appropriate length and drill holes in the blanks.  He will show up next Friday...hopefully with the tubes glued into the blanks so we can progress to the next level....
-joe

repair clothes pins...yep.  Have you ever seen a clothes pin where one of the wooden pieces slipped out?  I used to collect these from my Mom so I could put them back together again and present her with her "repaired" clothes pins.

You retired people have entirely too much time on your hands, Bic .19 cents! ::) Whats next hand grinding coffee beans and making ice cream and butter at home?

A Bic may be $0.19 but a good hand turned wooden pen can sell for $25.00 or even $50.00 depending on the store.

And it is not so much a money thing as... Well Cat Fabor said it best.. Song is titled "Acts of Creation"

Lyrics  Sheet Music

NOTE: I have been known to sing this song.. More than once

For some reason the URL below is not presenting as a link it's to You Tube

You Tube Video of a performer singing it

Mark R. said:
You retired people have entirely too much time on your hands, Bic .19 cents! ::) Whats next hand grinding coffee beans and making ice cream and butter at home?

Isn't that what one does if they want coffee or ice cream? ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D

Ron it is what I do (grind my coffee every morning), and I have another 30 years before I can retire! :)

I have been making pens for about 6 years now.  I find it very enjoyable and relaxing.  Even took a lathe and kits to Brazil last year to help in a little mission shop.  You can find some very nice free wood to use, and even trade blanks with other pen turners.  I am working on an order right now for 45 pens made from an old board from an old homeplace.  "Heritage"pens for a family reunion.  Lots of help and great folks to talk with at www.penturners.net.  Check them out.  You will be amazed at what some turners are making.  Send me an email if you like.

Back
Top Bottom