Manitoba or Ontario has better National Parks for our 40f MH & Toad to visit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happy Yogi!

Hi Everyone!

We have a 40ft MH & a Toad plus two bicycles (we really love bicycling a lot!) and will be coming from Iowa at that time.  We plan to see some great sights in Canada's Manitoba & Ontario provinces preferably along the three great lakes.  We prefer full hookups.  We've never been there before.  So,.. we need your help please!  We would love to see as much of the great Lakes as possible and possibly avoid the great big cities and its traffic in the states.  Later, eventually working our way back down to the states to see Niagara Falls.

The question is; Which route is the best for us?  A) International Falls in Minnesota or B) Deluth?
We're trying to cross over into Canada and continue our easterly directions.  Thanks for any ideas!

Hi and Welcome,

Try using the RVParky Program (both a phone app and a PC/Apple App) at this location.

http://www.rvparky.com

This is a pretty good planning tool for your trip and will give you information on most of the RV Campgrounds in both the US and in Canada.  You will automatically get mileage information between campgrounds and usually a website is listed to get more information (such as accommodating your large rig.) It lists both public(State/ Provincial) and privately run campsites.

Great little planning tool

Gord

Our parks are mostly Provincial Parks. There are some National Parks but they are very few and far between and the services are usually wanting. If you are going to do any reservations in Ontario, you had better start now as they fill up very quickly.

Take Hwy 61 north from Duluth, MN along what is called the North Shore and cross into Canada at Pigeon River. Lots to see and do along the way. In Canada, Thunder Bay, Ont is interesting to visit.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!  We really do appreciate all of it!  I hope we don't have to worry about road conditions  for our big rig like very steep grades or narrow roads.

Both of the crossings you mention are in Ontario, well East of Manitoba. If you are used to Interstates the roads will seem quite narrow to you, especially International Falls. I used to live in this area so I knew the roads well.  Some of the grades, (hills) are quite steep but they are mostly short hauls. There should be plenty of private and provincial (state) campgrounds that can accommodate you.
Have a great trip!

We've been across Canada several times and in most of the Provinces.  The most expensive Provincial RV camping parks were in Ontario.  Don't know why they were the most expensive, but they were.

We've stayed at several National Parks, but they are not in the area you are traveling.  BTW, the roads will be fine. 

If you have a Verizon cell phone you can call Verizon and add Canadian coverage for $20.00.  You use the same plan you have but pay the extra $20.00  Be sure and check; at least that is how much it was a year or two ago.  Also be sure you turn off your data plan if you have a smartphone.  Data plans are horrific if you use it in Canada.  We used only campground wifi or places like the library and we got along just fine. 

Expect to pay more for fuel, groceries and alcohol, and have a passport.

Have a great time, it's a beautiful country with great people.

Marsha~

Ontario Provincial are very expensive and an Ontario Parks rep who was at our local RV Show this spring told me you will not find any Ontario Provincial Parks that offer full hook ups, they want to offer the "roughing" it experience and do not want to compete with the private owned RV parks from what he was saying...most only offer electrical.

The fees for Ontario Provincial parks I do not believe to be that out of line compared to a private parking lot camp ground.
http://www.parkreports.com/fees/camping/2015
Camp sites are private with lots of space between campsites most have programs, trails and really nice facilities. I would prefer to stay at an Ontario Park instead of one of the parking lots that private parks are.

The provincial parks in Ontario that can accommodate a 40' with toad are few and far between.  And those that can, usually have only 2-3 spots that will work.  We have found it to be quite a challenge - usually end up in private parks.

Again, thanks so much!  We have stayed in several private RV Parks along our journey, since starting from AZ.  They worked out great!  County Fair parks have worked for us also, as long as we had Full Hookups.  We are doing a clockwise pattern across the States, eventually ending in Florida sometime in early winter. 
A new dilemma  " a preface; we are new full timers since Feb 2015" and certainly new at ground travels in the eastern part of the USA.
Currently, we are in Iowa and are having a hard time finding an RV park with full hookups "near" big cities of Wisconsin and Michigan.  We want to stay in one RV park for at least 2 weeks and have easy access to city stuff like various places and city parks: i.e. hardware, camping, health clubs, museums, special groceries (Asian & European) just to name a few.  Any ideas?  It doesn't have to be a resort, just in a safe & clean RV park and town.  Thanks for any help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom