Manually shift auto trans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lezmark

This was our first outing towing our '94 Grand Cherokee. We drove through a lot of hilly areas. With the tranny set in tow mode, I thought the tranny shifted pretty good (2006 Ford V10 drivetrain) but there was a lot of up & down and in & out. I have to wonder what is best for longevity, let it do its thing or manually downshift/up shift. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unless the transmission is repeatedly searching for the right gear I would let it do it's own thing!  Most new trannys have a brain and figure things out for themselves.  Enjoy!!

Gerard

I have to agree Gerard although, if the tranny is hunting up and down, it's time to manually shift to a lower gear and keep it there until you're over the grade.

Are we talking about driving with "Cruise Control" ON?

In roller-coaster country or going over inclined bridges I find it best to disengage the CControl before encountering an automatic down-shift. Constant speed is not what you want in those situations.

Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured let the tranny do its thing, but wanted to be sure. Still getting used to this - its not as much fun to drive as towing a trailer with a well beefed up Dodge Cummins...

lezmark said:
Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured let the tranny do its thing, but wanted to be sure. Still getting used to this - its not as much fun to drive as towing a trailer with a well beefed up Dodge Cummins...

Let emphacize what the others say.  If you transmission is constantly shifting up and down, it is constantly locking and unlock the torque converter.  This can cause the transmisson fluid to overheat and can cause the tranny to got into safety mode -- hard shifting.  It also wastes fuel in stirring fluid around in the tranny.  If you are on a winding road or going over a chain of short hills and dales, that can cause the situation.  In that case you are well advised to lock the tranny down to a lower gear.  If you running in overdrive 4th then lock it down to 3rd, and so forth.

Have not noticed that kind of constant changing. I found myself in a few instances where it went down a gear, was still slowing and I am pushing farther down on the pedal and it goes down another gear. So, I was wondering if it is better to manually push it down instead of pushing harder on the pedal to make to go down.  Thanks again for the responses... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom