manufacture claimed 1/2 ton towable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nash0098

I just bought my first rv. A 2012 Forrest River Flagstaff 8524RLS fifth wheel, it has a dry weight of 5900 lbs and a gross weight of 8200 lbs and a hitch weight of 1000 lbs. Manufacture claimed it is 1/2 ton towable, but people at the dealership advised me to get a 3/4 ton truck. My neighbor is selling his 2009 Toyota Tundra 4.7 litre V8 1/2 ton truck for very low price and I am very much interested. I would like to know if anyone pulling a fifth wheel comparable to mine with a 1/2 ton have any issues, I would appreciate any comments. THANKS.

Welcome to the RV Forum.

We have had lots of discussion on 1/2 ton truck towing.  Here is the link to several prior discussions:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=search2  That will give you some good information to start with.

Most everyone will think that towing with a 1/2 will be difficult.  It's a strain on the brakes, cooling system, transmission and chassie.  I towed a 2-horse trailer weighing over 5,000 with a 1/2 and ran through 2 sets of brakes and had to have the transmission replaced.  It was still under warranty, so the minute the transmission work was done, I traded it for something bigger.

Marsha~

A fifth wheel pits 20-25% of the actual trailer weight on the hitch, so you need a truck that can handle 1400-1800 lbs of payload in addition to your family and any gear in the truck. That's asking quite a bit of most half ton trucks, but someare configured to handle loads that big.

As for your neighbors Tundra, you need to find its tow capacity and payload. A tundra 4.7L can tow anywhere between 6700 and 8400 lbs, depending on 2WD vs 4WD, tow package or not, cab type (regular, double or Crew), and bed length. I don't know about the payload, but that varies by truck configuration as well.

There is no doubt in my mind that a 3/4 ton would make a much better tow vehicle, but I wouldn't rule out a half ton for occasional towing.

I tend to agree with most here that a 3/4 ton would be better suited for towing. People tend to get wrapped up with weight of the trailer vs. the tow vehicle. But something to consider like I'll use my setup for example. If I was to hitch up my Jayco Eagle to Mom's 1/2 ton truck it would pull it but be at it limits weight wise or over. But do you think a 5,500# truck is going to be able to control a 8,000# trailer if it started swaying? Most likely not the truck would lose. It best to have more truck than trailer. Even my 3/4 ton Dodge is a marginal for my trailer being its 31' foot long. (total length of 52 feet). 

Once again RV trip are suppose to be relaxing and comfortable... Not white knuckle horror trips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom