Marijuana side topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back in 1969 me and some friends were pulled over for 'Driving with Long Hair' right near El Toro Marine base.. this cop just knew we must have some weed on us  (we didn't)... so after we emptied our pockets he removed the rear seat,  spare tire and anything else we had in the car,  stacked (or dropped) it all on the shoulder of the road.

I was handed a ticket for illegal exhaust ... he said 'have a good evening' and left.  I could have said something..but it would have cost me more.

I'm sure he's nicely retired now,  but, Thank you so much for making the world a safer place Officer Dick... ;D

As of next July, mj will be legal in Canada. The police and the courts will now be able to free up their time to arrest real criminals, and hard drug users instead of busting regular people for smoking a bit of weed. Billions of dollars have been spent by mine and your govts making criminals out of regular citizens who pose no threat to society.I know many professionals, and business owners who on occasion will partake. It is a social thing, just like many people will have a few drinks in a social setting. I agree that if someone asked me which was worse, pot or booze, I would say booze hands down. No one every smoked a joint, and beat up their wife and kids, fought with the neighbors, got arrested for drunk in public, ect ect ect. I dont know anyone who has ruined their lives smoking a bit of pot. I know many that have drank to the  point that they have lost their jobs, their family, and most of the things important to them. Alcohol can take over your life if your not careful. Pot just makes you mellow, and gives you the munchies. I do agree with our govts plan of not legalizing it for young people. It will have similar rules to alcohol. As far as it being a gateway drug, I think the people that get into herion and oxys have a screw loose to begin with. Its usually a one way street, with death at the end.  jmho

SargeW said:
But sitting next to someone sitting outside smoking a joint terribly destroy's my experience.  And yes, that has already happened.  And no, cigarettes are not any better. 

I have not had MJ next door (though I have tobacco and I tend to agree)

But back when I lived in Detroit when my car was in the shop I road the buss.. and so did the pot head.. Nuff said.  LIke to make me puke.

muskoka guy:

Criminal justice and another massive industries like the big Prescription Drug and Alcohol companies really have control of our legislators with their big money lobbyist.

it's not likely that congress will ever push to legalize a weed that you can grow in your back yard so that those big contributors to their re-election campaign start losing money.    ( the collateral damage would be a reduction the Drug Cartels revenue too )

I personally think the drug companies who give kickbacks to doctors for prescribing their life wrecking drugs like oxycontin and fentinyl should have a special place in hell. The doctors are just as much at fault for loading the streets with these very hard drugs. Thousands are dying every year from over doses. All in the name of the mighty dollar. Drug companies dont care about your health, they just want your money. Thats why they dont want pot legalized. You can grow it yourself and you dont need them. They probably have a cure for cancer, but dont want it to get out. They make so much money off cancer drugs now, that its robbery. What ever happened to the days when our top scientists and students worked on cures for disease for the betterment of mankind. Greed has taken over the world, and big business rules our lives. 

be careful..as soon as you say something against Doctors and the establishment you may be labeled as a radical...they know way more than you do.

They can legally help you if they determine you need it .... 8)

Fascinating conversation happening here. I would like to point out to the law enforcement contributors that yes, the people you deal with have smoked and drank as a precursor to heavier things but not all people who smoke marijuana are going to go on to do harder drugs or ever have any encounters with law enforcement. there are many marijuana smokers who contribute positively to society. I find it no different than having a beer or glass of scotch after work.

To tie into RVing...this is a general PSA that the walls of your RV will not contain the smell of pot. I personally don?t mind it at all but at my old park I did have a retired couple in a converted greyhound bus that was asked to leave because their (boring) neighbors complained. I liked them personally...but you could definitely smell it throughout the park lol.

Kevin Means said:
As a former Narcotics Detective, one of my duties was to interview suspects who were arrested for being under the influence of controlled substances, like heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine (11550 H&S.) By the way, in California, marijuana was not considered a "controlled substance." It was considered a "dangerous drug."

I asked all of them a lot of "canned" questions, and one interesting fact we learned was that 100% of them started out by experimenting with alcohol AND marijuana before moving on to stronger, more addictive drugs. Most of those using "hard drugs" were still using marijuana. That DOES NOT mean that everyone who uses marijuana is going to move on to harder drugs, but there's clearly a correlation between marijuana and harder drugs.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if an adult wanted to burn their brains out on drugs. It's their life. It's just a shame when it happens to kids and young adults, because their brains haven't developed enough for them to understand the dangers, and some of the damage is irreparable. Those of us who do understand the dangers often set a poor example for them.

Rancher Will said:
I don't care if any adult wishes to pickle their brain with any drug or alcohol, so long as they are not forced to do so. I do care when anyone under the influence of any substance endangers others.

I could not agree more, and have almost identical professional backgrounds and experiences.  Considering that Kevin, Will, and I have all concluded our law enforcement careers, we certainly have no financial interest in the outcome.  And it certainly does not seem like any of us cautious about legal marijuana (in this forum anyway) are proponents of the "Reefer Madness" claims of the 1960's and 70's.

Yes, alcohol and cigarettes are horrible habits with deadly results, and have enormous back-end costs in health care and public safety.  Why on earth would we want to add more legal substances to that list, without properly assessing the potential risks or dangers?

Also legalizing will do little to quell the marijuana black market, just as illegal trading is alive and well for all manners of prescription drugs/painkillers, weapons, and even alcohol/cigarettes that are otherwise legal (with proper taxes paid and rules followed).  Marijuana is the largest criminal "cash crop" in the world.  Does anyone really think profit-seeking criminal enterprises are just going to give up and/or pay taxes to the government?  Hardly.  Most signs indicate that drug cartels will ramp up their efforts, providing an even "better" product for lower prices and violence to control the trade will increase.  That and more focus will be placed on smuggling other drugs into the country to get people addicted to... cue the prevalence of heroin in the last 10 years and the resulting opioid crisis.

Would keeping marijuana illegal prevent all those problems?  Probably not.  No more than it is the miracle drug to cure every medical ailment, as some supporters will claim.  The truth likely resides somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, and I don't think science (or the law) has completely figured out its proper application yet.  Rushing to change laws (medical or criminal) with the allure of short-term tax dollars... and often NO mention of the risks or back-end costs... seems to be a pretty risky exercise as far as public dollars and public welfare is concerned.

I say thank you to our founding fathers for creating a nation of 50 individual states.

I don't want to live in rural Utah or downtown San Francisco.... somewhere in between is good.

In the years to come we will see the actual effects of the decriminalization of weed in Colorado, California and a couple other states.  Europe seems to have handled it ok.

Another thought on the topic.  Has anyone ever heard anyone say, "I would use marijuana if it were legal, but since it isnt, I wont".  My view is that virtually everyone who wants to use marijuana is.

Last week...My wife asked Kaiser Medical if she should maybe try CBD oil for her severe arthritis...They informed her if she tested positive for Cannabis they would revoke her prescriptions for pain and anxiety meds and it may likely jeopardize her scheduled knee replacement surgery next year.

she is currently prescribed  2 - 10mg oxys,  5 times a day for pain.. by a real Doctor.  ( a medical conspiracy ?    hmm...) 

I like to drive her everywhere she wants to go ..but technically it's legal for her to drive and she feels fine to do so.

Paul & Ann said:
Another thought on the topic.  Has anyone ever heard anyone say, "I would use marijuana if it were legal, but since it isnt, I wont".  My view is that virtually everyone who wants to use marijuana is.

Perhaps, but it also stands to reason that when limits (laws) are removed or lessened, people will take advantage.  In my professional experience, the general public stretches laws just slightly over the rule... which then becomes the "norm".  Speed limit is 35, most people will drive 40-45.  Raise the limit to 40, traffic speeds will increase to 45-50.  One of the reasons I personally never did much with alcohol or drugs as a teen was because of the fear of punishment... it did have an impact.  I also had pretty wholesome friends, sober parents, and never had the "party" desire, so my environment helped tremendously.  The many factors worked together.  Take away any/all of those barriers, and more of the general public will be partaking.

If a retired 60yo wants to go smoke a joint, then so be it.  My concern is with the normalization of another form of unhealthy behavior that will creep through all age levels and demographics.  As mentioned somewhere above, adolescent brains are not fully formed and there are documented studies of teens' moderate-to-heavy marijuana usage causing irreversible brain damage as they become adults.

Paul & Ann said:
  My view is that virtually everyone who wants to use marijuana is.

I agree, and I think a lot of unnecessary time and money is wasted trying to enforce this futile federal law.  Look at the history of the 18th amendment.      It's deja vu all over again.

Made criminals like Joe Kennedy wealthy.

Perhaps if mental health were a priority,fewer people would be self-medicating.  Improving overall living conditions for everyone might help.  Someone mentioned Vietnam.  I can't think of anything that would be more likely to turn one to heroin.  Not saying we should allow it,just saying that people in horrendous situations will look for some relief.

I would like to know what doctors are expected to use for patients in chronic or severe pain if opioids are frowned upon and MJ is illegal?  I would really like to know how many people died from prescribed opioids compared to heroin or illegally obtained opioids. 

Why would I want MJ to be legal?  Precisely because of the fear of opioids.  As we live longer,we are more likely to face chronic pain and I don't want to live in misery.  No,I don't use it now but want that to be an option.

Pugapooh said:
I would like to know what doctors are expected to use for patients in chronic or severe pain if opioids are frowned upon and MJ is illegal?  I would really like to know how many people died from prescribed opioids compared to heroin or illegally obtained opioids. 

Why would I want MJ to be legal?  Precisely because of the fear of opioids.  As we live longer,we are more likely to face chronic pain and I don't want to live in misery.  No,I don't use it now but want that to be an option.

Agree 100 percent.  I was at my doctors just yesterday and asked him if my Tramadol was considered a heavy duty opoid.  His reply shocked me - No, it is only a very mild opiod but be prepared to find it difficult to get because when the government goes wild on something it goes completely over the edge.  My once per day Tramadol is the only thing between me and severe pain during my waking hours.  If removed, would I switch to MJ.  He11 NO.  I already have COPD - why would I want to fill my lungs and brains with that crap.  Boy this thread is sure showing a lot of differing opinions.  I don't care who uses MJ but I don't want them on the road next to me or sitting in any public place next to me.  Those who think Colorado is trouble free better do some better research.  And then we have those who want to blame the police because they are doing their job - enforcing the law.  Just look at your daily newspapers and see how many were shot yesterday or last week.  Stopping for tag lights out is not a completely safe practice.  You try walking up to someone in a car that you don't know and see how safe you feel.  Blue Lives Matter to me.  MJ is a fact of life - a nation of potheads is something to be proud of??  JMHO.

Bill

muskoka guy said:
I personally think the drug companies who give kickbacks to doctors for prescribing their life wrecking drugs like oxycontin and fentinyl should have a special place in hell. .

Had some dental work done.. Submitterd for pre-approval to my Insurance.. Paid the co-pay.. Did the job.. (Not all that happy with the result) doctor says "Well get you a prescription for Oxy and you're outta here"  I declined.. Did not need any painkiller, not even aspirin (Left him a sealed bottle)

Got a bill for over 170.00 from the Dental firm..  Belief is they did not get paid by the makers of Oxy.. I've turned it over to the State Atty General. but they keep sending bills. I'm not paying.

I paid the agreed upon amount.

The lucrative drug and medical industry is in the business of selling opiates.

They will fight very hard to keep people in prison for using a weed you can grow in your back yard.

And by the way Bill...you can get a MJ pill now.  You don't need to smoke anything.
So, You don't want a pothead driving next to you....but how about my wife ?  it's still legal for her to drive. 

TonyDtorch said:
And by the way Bill...you can get a MJ pill now.  You don't need to smoke anything.

Gee, I am thrilled to know that.  I can add it to the 13 I already take.

Bill

Bill N said:
Gee, I am thrilled to know that.  I can add it to the 13 I already take.

Bill

Wow!  13 pills everyday..... You probably get Christmas cards from Doctors.    ;)   

John From Detroit said:
Had some dental work done.. Submitterd for pre-approval to my Insurance.. Paid the co-pay.. Did the job.. (Not all that happy with the result) doctor says "Well get you a prescription for Oxy and you're outta here"  I declined.. Did not need any painkiller, not even aspirin (Left him a sealed bottle)

Got a bill for over 170.00 from the Dental firm..  Belief is they did not get paid by the makers of Oxy.. I've turned it over to the State Atty General. but they keep sending bills. I'm not paying.

I paid the agreed upon amount.

Same for me on the dental work.  I few years ago I had some dental work done.  The dentist wrote me a prescription for oxycontin and Tylenol-3.  When the Novocaine wore off, I took two regular Tylenol, and that was all the pain medication I needed.  No need for the two prescriptions.  Just another medical professional pushing drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom