Matthew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IslandGuy said:
My 89 year old Mom is in Daytona Beach with her 3 cats...she refused to go to a shelter...she had a home that got destroyed in 92 from hurricane Andrew. She spent the night in the bathroom with her cats and when the hurricane past the roof had blown off...I went there and could not believe the devastation...looked like a war zone...hoping nothing like that happens tomorrow...I am very worried :(
That is not a very good idea. The entire east coast of Florida north of Miami will get hammered.

IslandGuy said:
I know...not much I can do here from Tucson...
You should call the Sheriff's department.  There is a mandatory evacuation order for the beach area. They would probably help get her to a shelter.

"A mandatory evacuation was ordered Wednesday evening for Volusia County residents living on the beach side, low-lying areas and RV and mobile-home parks."

It is 6 am and it is not as bad as I expected. Matthew is directly east of us and it moved out into the ocean during the night. There is a drizzle outside and a bit of wind but overall not too bad. I think I will be able to return home in a few hours.

That's great news Tom. Glad to hear you and the cats had a safe place for the night. Keep an eye on the storm though, and don't jump the gun getting back home. I'm praying your coach made out as well as you did.

I am going to call my park around ten and make sure it is safe to return. It is looking good right now. I am watching the news and the reality was no where near as bad as it could have been. I just hope my RV is still there.

SeilerBird said:
I am going to call my park around ten and make sure it is safe to return. It is looking good right now. I am watching the news and the reality was no where near as bad as it could have been. I just hope my RV is still there.

Where we are it is almost a non-event. A few dead limbs down and some spanish moss scattered across the yard. It is a good thing it turned slightly away from the coast, this gave us just enough space so as not to be a big danger. Power still on and we didnt even lose our DirecTV. I'm prettty sure everything at your park is still intact Tom.

This will be my first Hurricane but I've been far too close to tornados in the past.. (Close enough to see them).

Matthew is here.. at least the leading edge.. So far just rain.. Daughter is worried but they expect winds within the history of this motor home as currently configured and water at least 3 feet below my tires.. So I'm hoping they were.... Overly expecting. but even if we get what the forecasters fear.... I should be safe.  Will likely be off line, but safe.. Have alternate communications but won't work for internet.

We survived another one. The power stayed on. The ditches were running over the sides. Tree branches and debris all over the yard, Motorhome and truck still upright. Slept well. No damage anywhere. Winds are still high. Came out very good.

SeilerBird said:
John, it is not the speed of the wind that is the real problem, it is the things the wind are throwing around.

Very old joke about a physics professor who said that even the greatest hurricane force winds are not dangerous to the human body. To prove his point he went out in the storm and used his belt to hold himself to a sign post.

The film from the camera he set up showed him smiling and doing just fine, right up until the boat hit him.

Well I called several friends and determined it was safe to return home. The trip home was bizarre. The roads are virtually empty. Not a lot of debris like I expected. The toll booths were closed and tolls were suspended. My park looks to be ok. No damage to my RV and I have water and power and the Internet so life is good. I feel like I am finally an official Floridian now that I have survived  my first hurricane. Just in time for four baseball games.
;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom