May become Full-Timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UP Travelers

Hi Everybody.
First I would like to say thank you to all those who established, organized and have maintained this wonderful discussion board. It's a good one!
My name is Jim. My wife Bertie and I are giving serious consideration to becoming "Full-Time RV'ers". We do not presently own an RV but have plenty of time, I hope, to learn what we need to before we take the plunge. I heard a wise friend once say that "experience is something you get right after you need it". We owned what I will describe as a larger sized pop-up camper quit a few years ago and camped a lot when our kids were young. And my wife grew up camping. That's it, so our experience is limited as far as the depth of what we are wanting to do.
The advice, to others, that I have already read on this forum seems to be spot-on and to have come from that exact thing. "Experience" and lots of it. We hope to learn and benefit from the experience of those here who done much of what we hope to do.
The idea came to us a few weeks ago and we have since been pretty excited about it. It seems to make so much sense for our present situation. I am 61 and will start drawing my SS benefits near the end of this year. My wife is in her mid 50's and we are both still healthy and like to travel. We sold our home 2 yrs ago and are currently apartment dwellers. So the down-sizing is all done.
The plan would be to blast off from the upper Great Lakes area into the "Full-Time RV'er" universe in Oct. or Nov. of next year (2015). We hope to buy a used motorhome this coming fall and spend next summer doing trials and outfitting. We have looked at a few and are comparing floor plans. We have a list of musts started and I have the skeleton of a budget built.
So there you have it. Lots to learn. Lots to decide. And lots to do.
I will post questions for answers and our ideas for impressions of others who will know better later on. I think the Motorhome and Full Timer sections of the forum will be the place to start.

Bye for now, Jim (& Bertie)

Hi Jim and Bertie, and welcome to.The RV Forum. You have an exciting change of lifestyle ahead, and you seem to be doing your homework. Many of our members previously made the same leap, and some are still enjoying being fulltimers.

As you've already seen, we have a considerable base of knowledge here as the result of members sharing their experiences. In addition to browsing and searching our message boards, check out our forum Library and Resources pages (links in the menu above). Fire away with those questions, and we'll try to get them answered.

Thanks Tom. I will take your suggestion and study those pages carefully. I do admit that until your reply I had only looked at the message boards. I see now that there is a lot to learn elsewhere in addition.
One of the aspects of Full-Timing I want to learn about is Boondocking. With so much mention of it I am kinda surprised to not find a separate message board on the subject. Before we embark I want to understand just how likely Boondocking/Dry Camping will be as a tool for controlling costs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom