Medically speaking, any Carpal Tunnel sufferers out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
denmarc said:
What dosage of B12 are you taking? Curious if the amount is anything close to what's in the multivitamin I take every morning?

1,000 mg/day

mcg is micrograms, not very much.  1000 mcg = 1 mg, so John is taking 10,000 times as much B12 as you're getting.

The B12 I am taking is not self-prescribed, it is prescribed by my MD.

Oscar Mike said:
The B12 I am taking is not self-prescribed, it is prescribed by my MD.
Got it. Was just reading a Mayo Clinic recommendation of 25-100 mcg/daily for those of us 50 yoa and older. I guess I fall in line there. Will mention to my surgeon tomorrow about it and see what he says.

You'll have problems with finding doctors prescribing B12..
  Many, including my Doctor who poo-poo-ed the idea when I questioned him.
  There was a fad some time ago where Seniors got B12 shots hoping for an instant cure for whatever ailed them.

In other words, the jury is still out.

A little info here >>>  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002403.htm

This is not an Infomercial. 

Asked the surgeon yesterday about the B12 thing. He reserved comment. Says that CTS is typically a problem caused by issues due to the tunnel through the wrist being on the narrow side, which is genetic, along with years of repetitive movement of the fingers and wrist causing inflammation and damage. This causes a compression on the nerve and tendons running through the tunnel. The enlargement of the tunnel (CTR surgery) is the permanent fix for this. Wrist splints and other aids may help for very mild problems with numbness, tingling, etc. But he has found that as those patients got older, they came back to have the surgery done anyway. He also mentioned it's very common to have patients my age (55) and older having the CTR surgery. Depending on how much time has elapsed from when the patient first developed problems and when the surgery actually takes place can dictate how long the patient will see any positive results. Nerves regenerate very, very slowly. Some patients never get back to 100% because they spent too much time with "bandaids" or just waited too long to actually fix the problem.

In case any of you are thinking my surgeon is talking the "job security" speech...
He is a well known hand surgeon in my area. The man is in his 70's, been a surgeon almost forever, done a bazillion of these hand and arm surgeries, and I'm not thinking job security is an issue with him.

BTW..Posting with this splint and wrap on my dominate hand and wrist is a HUGH PITA!  I keep scooting my comp mouse off the edge of the pad with the damn thing!  :mad:

And I get another stabbing pain right in the middle of the palm. Quite annoying. Just wondered if anyone else experienced the same.

I had occupational therapy on my hand after my surgery. I was starting to feel a little of that pain and the OT told me to get some hand cream (not lotion) and massage the base of my hand right in the middle, just above the wrist. She said scar tissue builds up there sometimes and doing deep massage a few times a day will help break it up.

Thanks, Caryl. I wasn't prescribed any OT or PT. Don't really know why. I didn't bring it up because it's a PITA with a work schedule like mine. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. The surgeon did say that getting back into it with my hands, and just gritting my teeth with the discomfort in the mean time, would accelerate recovery time. That's what I've been doing.
He also mentioned that I'm one of those "odd balls". Seems I have remnants of a muscle he has seen on some patients along the ligament he cuts to increase the size of the tunnel. Kind of rare, but he has seen it a few times over the years. Says he thinks it's left over from the caveman days. I asked him if he thought that the muscle helped somehow in dragging their women around by their hair. The two assisting nurses (both female) looked up with staring eyes at both of us with that "Be very careful with your answer!" look.  ;)
A good laugh was had by all.

I do use Jergens Ultra Healing regularly due to my line of outdoor work in all environments that contributes to some of the worst cracked skin at the fingers tips. Winters are hell on my hands. I like this product because it's not greasy and I can't handle anything for hours. May not be a cream, but maybe a good idea. Will try to massage it in a bit more and see what happens. 

My husband was dx'd with carpal tunnel syndrome about 12 years ago. Due to circumstances (his previous wife had cancer which ultimately took her) he was not able to get it fixed until he also had triggering going on in his index finger. As a chef this was not working for him. The surgery was about 20 minutes, and he had both a carpal tunnel release and a trigger finger release at the same time. His recovery was hampered by an allergic reaction to the chlorahexadine they use to clean him off, but all in all he healed fairly fast, and was doing strengthening exercises in about 2 weeks. Due to waiting though, he will never be able to return to chefing, and any cooking that requires a lot of cutting etc. causes flare ups. So go get it done, and do everything the Dr tells you. It is a very common surgery now and leaves very small scars. Good luck and happy healing!!

Years ago when I was diagnosed and hadnthe surgeries, yea, both hands, the DR told me it would take about as long to recover as I suffered.  That pretty much was how it is.  I today, even 20 years later still suffer some of the issues if I work too long with my hands, especially if I am using a power tool that has some vibration.  Surgery is really easy, recovery goes pretty quick.  A week after one hand was done, I had the stitches removed at 8 in the morning and was on a noon flight to a customer.

donn said:
Years ago when I was diagnosed and hadnthe surgeries, yea, both hands, the DR told me it would take about as long to recover as I suffered. 

I was afraid of that. My surgeon mentioned to not be surprised if it took 6 months to get most of the feeling back in my fingers. It's been 4 since the first surgery. I do feel a little improvement. But not much. The only good thing about having it done is that pain while sleeping no longer wakes me up! That almost makes it worth it alone.

Now my discomfort is all in the "heel" of the palms of my hands. I still can't put much pressure there at all. Drives me crazy. Because of the type of work I do, as well as just doing stuff around the homested, I never realized how much I use that part of my hands. I surely do now. It's a "wash" for me at this point. I really wish I could get full use of my hands back. I could do twice as much before the surgeries than I can do now. Drives me freaking crazy! Again, maybe I'm just expecting too much, too quick. But this is really tough for me to deal with.

I suffered with hand/arm tingling and finger numbness for a couple of years. But when it started waking me up with pain while sleeping and started to get unbearable (less than 1 year), that's when I decided it was time to do something about it. If it takes another year or so for me to be able to function even close to before, I'm going to go out of my mind! Or break a lot of stuff in anger!    ;) :( :mad:   

It has been a year since DH had his surgery.  He still does not have all the feeling back in his hands, especially the fingers.  He still has pain sometimes in the heel of his hands but not bad.  I don't know if he will ever get all the feeling or strength back in his hands and it is a constant aggravation for him. 

I would recommend to anyone having problems to get your hands worked on as soon as possible because the longer you wait the more likely you will never get everything back. 

DH is finding that out the hard way.  He waited 2 more years after he really started having problems so now he's kicking himself for not having the surgery sooner.

I agree that you ought to push to get the test done sooner.  Most surgeons will not operate without it having been done, but maybe you can get it done someplace else that isn't so busy.

I had the surgery done in October and my surgeon insisted I wear a stiff brace that prevented me from doing anything. After reading a lot about doctors who do NOT require the brace and a study done my the NIH, I dumped it, and just put it on when I needed to get stitches out. Rules for two weeks after surgery were no lifting anything at all, even a half-gallon of milk.  This was not a  problem because it hurt like heck doing just about everything.  Try opening your refrigerator and getting dressed with a left hand only when you are right-handed!

I full-time by myself, and I was anxious to get on the road, so I did take off after getting stitches removed. I used my left hand to hold onto the steering wheel tightly, and then lightly held on with my surgical hand.  BIGGEST problem was starting the vehicle. Had to reach left hand underneath steering wheel to help my sore right hand--very awkward.  Rest was not too bad, but it took many weeks before I could lift stuff, and I still cannot lean on that hand.  I can  make a fist or spread my fingers, but not lean on my palm with all my weight.  Needed help by lifting me by the arm to get out of a kayak since I could not push up with that hand!

I do have the feeling back in my hand and fingers after 6 months, and I am very glad I had it done, but I was surprised by the long healing.  I would suggest that you plan on at least two and possibly three weeks off from the heavy driving you do.

And I would NOT get both hands done at once!  I have no idea how someone can function without at least one good hand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom