Medicare insurance & supplemental plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Medicare Part D will pay for a portion of your medicine up to a certain amount. After that amount you enter the donut hole where you pay about 95% of the cost for the medication up to another set amount where you enter catastrophic coverage where they then cover about 95%. I hit my donut hole at $2930 total spent and come back out at $4700 total spent by me and insurance co.

The original coverage amount for medicines depends on the insurance company formulary, class of medication, part of the country you live in, etc.

Are you any more confused now, have you ever heard the term " need a Philadelphia lawyer to figure it out ". Our government makes all this simple for us older folks to understand.

Your neighbor may be on medicaid, whole nuther ballgame

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

I used to think that the CA DMV written drivers test was tough to understand  ???

Maybe the folks that drafted this Medicare stuff were attending parties in exotic places  :(

My wife's health insurance was/is going to make a  change from actually insuring her to providing a fixed sum so she could get a supplemental to medicare.  They hired a consulting company to aid the insurees in sorting out what was best.  It got so screwed up that they are providing insurance, same coverage as last year, for a fixed fee till it can all get sorted out.

It ain't easy folks!!

My health insurance had to change to a Medicare Part D this year but they got Medco to come up with a plan that meets the Federal requirement but still leaves us with the same copay as  in the past

Jim Godward said:
My wife's health insurance was/is going to make a  change from actually insuring her to providing a fixed sum so she could get a supplemental to medicare.  They hired a consulting company to aid the insurees in sorting out what was best.  It got so screwed up that they are providing insurance, same coverage as last year, for a fixed fee till it can all get sorted out.

It ain't easy folks!!

My health insurance had to change to a Medicare Part D this year but they got Medco to come up with a plan that meets the Federal requirement but still leaves us with the same copay as  in the past

Please give K Street the credit they deserve for designing a system that meets their customer requirements.  Of course their customers are the drug companies, not the people who use the plan.  They especially like the provision that prohibits medicare from using competitive bidding for the prescription drug prices or buying via Canada.  Except for congress, of course.

Tom:

And the penalties continue to grow the longer you postpone coverage.

John:

We have used 1st Health for four years. Low premiums but with a deductible. Make sure you check the formulary as they are not very flexible when it comes to name brand drugs not included on their list.

Several have mentioned the fact Medicare plans and premiums are restricted to specific zip codes. I might point out that the zip code you will have to use is the one Social Security has for you which is based upon your domicile and your Federal Income Tax address.

Unless you have a way to come up with an address in for instance, SLC, you will not be able to purchase a desirable plan from that area.

[quote author=Jeff]And the penalties continue to grow the longer you postpone coverage.[/quote]

Thanks Jeff, that's the part that wasn't clear.

I don't understand anything in this thread. I haven't had medical insurance in 20 years. I am turning 65 in two years. Do I really need medicare?

zzyzx said:
I don't understand anything in this thread. I haven't had medical insurance in 20 years. I am turning 65 in two years. Do I really need medicare?
No medical insurance at all?  Then you need Medicare.  Otherwise, you will be one of those "bums" freeloading off the hospital they take you to when something does happen...and some WILL happen.

Molaker said:
No medical insurance at all?  Then you need Medicare.  Otherwise, you will be one of those "bums" freeloading off the hospital they take you to when something does happen...and some WILL happen.
Please don't assume I will be freeloading. And please don't assume something WILL happen.

Don't you have to be on social security to get Medicare? And don't you have to have worked recently to qualify for social security?

zzyzx said:
Please don't assume I will be freeloading. And please don't assume something WILL happen.
Well, I hope you have access to $50k or so.  I just had a 3-day stay in hosp for a bladder infection.  It cost Medicare & tri-care about $10k and that was well below what the doctors and hospital would have charged someone with cash.  As for assuming something will happen, it's a matter of human fate - unless maybe you hit a wall and end it real fast.

Terry turns 65 in May.  He has been collecting Social Security since he was  62.  Medicare  just sent him the Medicare card in the mail.  We did not even need to apply for it as it came automatically (likely from info on his SS. )

However if the Medicare Card had not come  in the mail, one has 3 months prior to 65th birthday and 3 months  after turning 65 to apply for Medicare benefits.  If you miss that  enrollment window you have to wait one full year to  sign up and become eligible for Medicare. 

I  share because an aunt had a stroke and did not sign up for medicare within the window.  Her  hospital stays, medications all not covered simply because she was not signed up.

I became eligible and signed up for Medicare on December 1, 2004, suffered a mild stroke December 5, 2004, and was hospitalized near Birmingham, AL for ten days.  You just never know .....

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
I became eligible and signed up for Medicare on December 1, 2004, suffered a mild stroke December 5, 2004, and was hospitalized near Birmingham, AL for ten days.  You just never know .....

Margi

I agree..you never know when your "aw-s#@t" moment will happen..I took a deer out @ 60 on a motorcycle.. had insurance ..some will choose not to accept the medicare .. their choice..as for me I'll choose the medicare because I am sure my taxes paid my share of it..
As someone previously said..my suit is on...flame on.

[quote author=Betty Brewer]Medicare  just sent him the Medicare card in the mail.  We did not even need to apply for it as it came automatically....[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder Betty. I also received a Medicare card in the mail, ahead of all the junk mail. But it only covers part A & Part B, and does not cover prescription drugs. It also allows the option of taking insurance from private insurers instead of Medicare.

Tom said:
I also received a Medicare card in the mail, ahead of all the junk mail. But it only covers part A & Part B, and does not cover prescription drugs. It also allows the option of taking insurance from private insurers instead of Medicare.

Exactly Tom,
So we are now in the process of figuring out the cost for  RX Plans and to sign up for a supplemental insurance plan to cover any costs Medicare does not allow.  We are NOT  opting out of Medicare.  We paid into it for years and may reap benefits now if needed.

Things got a lot less complex after re-reading the booklet that came with the Medicare card (thanks again for the reminder Betty) and their larger 'book' that came later.

For others reading along, Medicare Part A and Part B is are automatic (no enrollment required) for those receiving Social Security benefits or receiving benefits from the Railroad Retirement Board. Coverage starts on the first day of the month when you turn 65.

All that's left is to decide on a Medigap plan and a Part D (prescription drug) plan from one or more independent insurers. The Medicare 'book' has a table that shows premiums, coverages, copays and deductibles for several insurers, with the data shown by county.

I expect to buy a Part D plan, but continue buying high-cost non-generic prescription drugs in MX &/or mail order from Canada.

I still have more reading to do, but a big thanks to all that replied to my original question; Lots of helpful info and tips.

When I reached 65 (a long time ago), I went with Kaiser Permanente. My brother and his huge family are all members living in the South Bay - San Jose area. At the time I was not a full time RVer.

Have always been very pleased with the health care Kaiser has provided. I pick a Primary Care doctor and a home facility - and change either anytime I want without the need for a reason by Kaiser. I can visit my PCD, talk to him on the phone, or send him an email with attachments. He has always been back to me the same day or early the next AM. Additionally, Kaiser has 24/7 advice nurses that have always handled my needs while on the road. When I visit, call, or write, my PCD turns to his computer and sets up whatever care I may need that he himself does not provide. He controls all my care. Additionally, any doctor, physical therapist, or whoever takes care of me, I can also send emails to for advice while under their care.

Over the past 5 years I have had my share of bad things that really tested the Kaiser system for me. As a full time RVer I am out of state a lot, especially with my business. A bit over 5 years ago I had need to go an ER in the Phoenix area. An advice nurse pointed me in the right direction. The stay was 3 nights at about $23k total cost. It only cost me $450 for the hospital co-pay on my plan.

Though Kaiser requires I use their facilities, if I have an emergency, I can go anywhere, anytime. Kaiser administers medicare in that that hospital sent the bills to them. Kaiser wound up paying less than half of what they asked for. With each item, Kaiser responds that they only pay the established medicare limit for that service, and then tell me that I am not responsible for the difference. In each case, the hospital responds, "OK, we'll just write it off". Tells you a lot about why costs are so high.

On my way to QZ year before last I wound up with a terrific tummy ache in Lost Hills, CA that lasted 11 hours. An advice nurse stayed with me on the phone most of the night. They noted where the closest ER facility was just in case I needed it. If needed, I would have gone to or been taken to a Bakerfield hospital that was not a Kaiser facility. Kaiser would have set that up and paid the expense. Was better the next AM so drove back to Roseville where my PCD had set up a series of tests, and when the results were read, set me up with a gallbladder surgeon. That surgeon was booked for 2 months, but worked me in 3 days later. My cost was again only for one night co-pay plus pain meds.

The thing in Phoenix turned out to be Bladder Cancer. Kaiser had me in surgery 3 days after the scopic test. My cost was $150 for a one night stay. And I have been cancer free coming this July for 5 years. My other ops during that period were the two hip replacements - that included free in-home (RV in my case) physical therapy, occupational therapy, and nurse on the road care as needed. I paid for the 3 nights again for each op plus the fun pain pills they gave me.

So even though I travel out of state, I feel comfortable that I am covered for any ER care I might need. The "only" drawback I have is that "urgent" vs. "emergency" care may or may not be covered. So if I have  something I would like to have checked out and want it bad enough, I may have to pay for it myself. For example, I am currently having a bout with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). If I were in Roseville, or near any Kaiser facility I would probably go in. However, am in touch with my doctor and doing the things he is telling me to do and popping the B6 and Motrin he has suggested via email. Which is about all he would have done if I visited him in person.

Kaiser does not cover glasses, dental, or hearing aides. However, I am paying a $20/month fee that gives me a reduction in the cost of glasses or hearing aides. Plus enrolls me in delta dental plan. As a veteran am looking into VA for help with hearing aides.

Each time I visit any Kaiser facility, I stop by a Services office and have them update my Health Record flash card. I keep it on my person at all times. The first copy was $5.00 w/all updates after that free. All records, x-rays or whatever are automated. It contains every visit I have had in any form plus all text info and records.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom