Medicare insurance & supplemental plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a decent set of FAQs on the Medicare web site:

https://questions.medicare.gov/

Not A Clue said:
I will be 65 next year also.  I believe that three months before you are 65 you are supposed to sign up for Medicare, but if you are still working full time, as I will be, you just sign up for Part A.  Part A doesn't have a deductible.  I will not be drawing SS yet.  I am not planning on retiring until I am 68, but starting to draw SS at 66, full retirement, and at that time I will add the necessary coverage.  If I am off base here, please let me know.

Not sure if it is still the case, but when I signed up for SS and Medicare the first SS check could be drawn in January of my 65 year -- and my birthday was in December. Unfortunately, I was not aware of this and didn't sign up until August. So my checks began in September of my 65 year. Sorry it that has not already been mentioned in this topic thread.

If you are still working after 65 and have employer insurance you should contact your HR dept.  Many group insurance plans convert to a medicare supplement at age 65 whether you sign up or not .

A note to Veterans about Part D.

IF you are in Priority Groups 1-8 in the Veterans Health Administration you do NOT need the Medicare Part D. The Prescription Med service provided by the VA is an equal program.

These are the Priority Groups.
http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/priority_groups.asp
P-1 Veterans with VA Service-connected disabilities rated 50% or more and/or Veterans assigned a total disability rating for compensation based on unemployability.

P-2 Veterans with VA Service-connected disabilities rated 30% or 40%.

P-3 Veterans who are former POWs.
Veterans awarded the Purple Heart Medal.
Veterans awarded the Medal of Honor.
Veterans whose discharge was for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
Veterans with VA Service-connected disabilities rated 10% or 20%.
Veterans awarded special eligibility classification under Title 38, U.S.C., ? 1151, ?benefits for individuals disabled by treatment or vocational rehabilitation.?

P-4 Veterans receiving increased compensation or pension based on their need for regular Aid and Attendance or by reason of being permanently Housebound.
Veterans determined by VA to be catastrophically disabled.

P-5 Nonservice-connected Veterans and noncompensable Service-connected Veterans rated 0%, whose annual income and/or net worth are not greater than the VA financial thresholds.
Veterans receiving VA Pension benefits.
Veterans eligible for Medicaid benefits.

P-6 Compensable 0% Service-connected Veterans.
Veterans exposed to ionizing radiation during atmospheric testing or during the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Project 112/SHAD participants.
Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam between January 9, 1962 and May 7, 1975.
Veterans who served in the Southwest Asia theater of operations from August 2, 1990, through November 11, 1998.
Veterans who served in a theater of combat operations after November 11, 1998, as follows:
Veterans discharged from active duty on or after January 28, 2003, for five years post discharge

P-7 Veterans with incomes below the geographic means test (GMT) income thresholds and who agree to pay the applicable copayment.

P-8 Veterans with gross household incomes above the VA national income threshold and the geographically-adjusted income threshold for their resident location and who agrees to pay copays
Veterans eligibility for enrollment: Noncompensable 0% service-connected and:

Subpriority a: Enrolled as of January 16, 2003, and who have remained enrolled since that date and/ or placed in this subpriority due to changed eligibility status.
Subpriority b: Enrolled on or after June 15, 2009 whose income exceeds the current VA National Income Thresholds or VA National Geographic Income Thresholds by 10% or less
Veterans eligible for enrollment: Nonservice-connected and:

Subpriority c: Enrolled as January 16, 2003, and who remained enrolled since that date and/ or placed in this subpriority due to changed eligibility status
Subpriority d: Enrolled on or after June 15, 2009 whose income exceeds the current VA National Income Thresholds or VA National Geographic Income Thresholds by 10% or less
Veterans not eligible for enrollment: Veterans not meeting the criteria above:

Subpriority e: Noncompensable 0% service-connected
Subpriority g: Nonservice-connected

VA is not accepting applicants for P-8. Been filling out the paper work for 2 years now.
They tell me to keep reapplying every year, maybe something will come open. I just refilled again last month, still haven't heard anything.

Jerry

The financial tests make me think I must be losing my memory because I don't remember being asked if I was above the VA threshold before The AF shipped my #%% to SE Asia in 64. ::)

Jeff said:
The financial tests make me think I must be losing my memory because I don't remember being asked if I was above the VA threshold before The AF shipped my #%% to SE Asia in 64. ::)

Jeff, That would put you in Priority 6 regardless of your income threshhold. And in 1964, your #%%  probably fell way below the VA income threshold for qualifying.

Never forget that VA always says "No" first then you argue your way to "yes" and then argue your way to a higher level. And it's always based on available funding. So if you don't like it, contact your congressmen and tell them to fund VA at higher levels.

Wendy
US Army 1975-1978

I have a letter of credible coverage from hubbies employer now, we get one periodically.  I did keep Part A medicare also they said to keep it, they say it will pay if you have a high deductible.  He hasn't gone yet, I told him he ought to at least get part A.  He isn't planning on retiring until 68 also.  I hope we are doing it right because each year you wait and don't have ins your medicare premiums will rise 10% and that's for the rest of your life, the drug coverage and part B.

Just got the numbers on our Medicare rates for 2013.  Both the regular Medicare and the Part D for prescriptions are going up 17 percent EACH.  So much for Obamacare being less costly for the public.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Just got the numbers on our Medicare rates for 2013.  Both the regular Medicare and the Part D for prescriptions are going up 17 percent EACH.  So much for Obamacare being less costly for the public.

ArdraF
How so that?  I thought Obama Care did not kick in till 2014?  The increases now are to the credit of the current system.

Carl,

Check, but I believe the 2013 rates are a part of OC and are just the tip of the iceberg.  Wait for the other tax increases for 2013.  There are some real  nasties there.  I am reducing my income for next year depending on advice from my financial planner and accountant.  It will put a real bind on what we do but I'd rather do that than pay a large increase in my taxes.

The Social Security cost of living increase info. for 2013 was just announced - 1.7 percent.  HA!  It will be negative after Medicare deductions of 17 percent.  I feel sorry for the "really" limited income seniors who have only that to live on.  :'(

ArdraF

Bob, I assume you're still with Kaiser.  I believe you're really lucky staying with them.  Based on what I've been reading about the upcoming changes those who don't have such a plan will fare worse than you.

ArdraF

Ardra, can you give me a link to the changes?  Or are they only changes to your personal plan? 

We have not had any changes with our Anthem Blue cross supplement and no changes that I can see with our Humana  Part D prescription plan.

Marsha~

ArdraF said:
Bob, I assume you're still with Kaiser.  I believe you're really lucky staying with them.  Based on what I've been reading about the upcoming changes those who don't have such a plan will fare worse than you.

ArdraF

Yes, Ardra -- fortunately still with Kaiser. As you know, I have family in San Jose and have been very pleased with Kaiser. Aside from that I would most likely be out of CA in a heartbeat. Tough to live in a state that the gas to get to a doctor's appoint will soon cost more than the copay to see that doctor.  :(

Are you and Jerry pretty settled in for now -- prior to your January treks?

Marsha - Can't really provide links.  The Medicare info. came to us in the mail as our assessment for next year.  The S.S. COL was in the newspaper which you can probably google with Social Security 2013 cost of living.

Bob - Yes, we in for the time being.

ArdraF

My Medicare is set to go up 15%. Our GEHA has gone up every year we've had it, probably at least 15% per year. All of this before Obama Care was even thought of. I think the blame lies with the insurance industry, our medical system, and Congress, not just the president. If any of you have health insurance plans that decreased in cost, I'd love to hear who they are because open season is coming up and we're shop every year for the best deal offering what we need.

Wendy

Ardra,
I assume that your quoted 17% increase is on a Medicare Advantage Plan (run by an insurance company). Medicare has not announced the increase for Standard Medicare part B. My drug plan is going up less than 2%.
Any increase in Medicare part B premiums at this point has nothing to do with the new Health Care law. It is determined by a formula set by congress over 20 years ago.

btw, the Romney/Ryan plans for Medicare MAY have much larger increases under their "voucher" plan. I say MAY because this information comes from a study done by the Kaiser Family Foundation and I have not studied it to see if it is accurate.  I also don't know if the Ryan plan would effect current retirees.

Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom