Memphis area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemc53

I will be traveling from Springfield, MO to just past Memphis in a few weeks and was wondering about a couple of routes.

Having never gone through this area I am unfamiliar with best routes to take. I have planned a fuel stop in West Memphis, AK and then will have a couple of options to get back on the road. One is to take I-55 right to my destination and the other is to take I-40 to I-69 to I-55. They are similar in distance but they cross the Mississippi a few miles apart. Not sure if one is better than the other as far as overall travel goes.

Also any suggestions on the overall trip are gladly accepted. We will be traveling sometime the first week of December, leaving Springfield, MO and eventually ending up near Gainesville, FL (Williston, actually). I definitely want to avoid I-75 near Atlanta so my plan, at this time, is to go through Southaven, MS on toward Montgomery, AL and across I-10 after that. I drive a 37 ft gasser with a toad so my options for fuel are somewhat limited - affecting my route choices.

Thoughts?

Regarding getting from Memphis to Florida - we live in SW Florida and last summer, drove to Memphis on our way to St. Louis. We took I-75 to Tifton, GA and picked up US 82, taking it to Montgomery, AL where we took I-65 to Birmingham and got on I-22, taking it all the way to Memphis. The roads are good and there are plenty of places to find gas. We also tow, so our combined length was about 59', making it a challenge to find gas stations occasionally. I have gotten into the habit of finding a gas station we think will fit into the trip and zooming in on it with Google Maps to see just what kind of ingress and egress I will have. It saves a lot of trouble later. We stayed in Cracker Barrels on the way up without issue. This cuts off the corner of taking I-10 and is a more pleasant journey, plus it's shorter and takes less gas.

I can't help you with your route into Memphis from the west. We stayed at the Graceland RV park and caught I-55, crossed the river and headed to St. Louis.

Thanks John, I might try that US 82 route. How was traffic through Memphis on I-55?

We left the campground around 10AM and didn't have much trouble getting across the river. Typical city traffic, but we missed rush hour. I think we averaged around 50-55mph, which in city traffic and towing, is plenty fast for me. Once we got out of the metro area, it opened up. This probably won't affect you, but about 30 or so miles north of Memphis, I-55 has eight miles of the worst road I've seen in a long time. We had to slow down to 20 mph to keep from losing everything in our cabinets and fridge. That was on the northbound side; I don't know if it's just as bad on the southbound lanes.

There are two bridges across the Mississippi from W Memphis to Memphis. If you are going to I-55 I would suggest you take the Old Bridge which is the southern most of the two. The New Bridge will take you past St Judes and then you have to take the by-pass around the city to get to I-55. The Old Bridge takes you along the northern edge of the city and you'll have an easy transition on to I-55. If I were pulling a trailer anywhere near Memphis that is the way I would go. I would then take I-55 to Jackson, I-20 to Birmingham, Al and then I would go down to Montgomery and on to Mobile. There I would get on 10/12 and follow it  to FL. Yes a little longer but the back roads in Mississippi and Alabama can get really bad. Have a great trip.

ro1459 said:
The Old Bridge takes you along the northern edge of the city and

You mean southern edge here, right? Used to be my old stomping grounds down there, old bridge gets you into Mississippi pretty quick, whether I-55 or old 61. New bridge adds a few miles.

mikemc53 said:
I will be traveling from Springfield, MO to just past Memphis in a few weeks and was wondering about a couple of routes.

Having never gone through this area I am unfamiliar with best routes to take. I have planned a fuel stop in West Memphis, AK and then will have a couple of options to get back on the road. One is to take I-55 right to my destination and the other is to take I-40 to I-69 to I-55. They are similar in distance but they cross the Mississippi a few miles apart. Not sure if one is better than the other as far as overall travel goes.

Also any suggestions on the overall trip are gladly accepted. We will be traveling sometime the first week of December, leaving Springfield, MO and eventually ending up near Gainesville, FL (Williston, actually). I definitely want to avoid I-75 near Atlanta so my plan, at this time, is to go through Southaven, MS on toward Montgomery, AL and across I-10 after that. I drive a 37 ft gasser with a toad so my options for fuel are somewhat limited - affecting my route choices.

Thoughts?

Well, in December, I suggest US-60 to I-55 and just stay on 55 if it takes you to your destination in Memphis area.
There are more "scenic" routes, but with Winter settling in, they can get dicey.

Out of Memphis, US-78/I-22 will take you to Birmingham. US-280 from Birmingham to Columbus, GA, where you can pick one of two routes.
US 27 thru Tallahassee to Perry, or 280-SR-520 to Albany, and US-19 South.
19 and 27 meet up just East of Tallahassee.
At Perry follow ALT-27/US-98 to Chiefland, and then ALT-27 to Williston.

We have run these routes many times, traveling between Denver and Palm Beach County with stops in Springfield to visit family.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom