Mercedes Sprinter tow capacity ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hvactech

We are again thinking going from our 5er to to a C on the Sprinter chassis. Is anyone towing a car or trailer and if so what type or what's the safe tow capacity of say about a 2015 or newer ? I will have to get a new toad as our Subaru Ascent would have to be on a trailer as they can't flat tow
I can see with these smaller MH just driving it when going to store or site seeing but if a small car is possible that would be our preferred route. Actually we are thinking just sale everything and go with an "A" full-time for as long as my wife is able , stage 3 Parkinsons so the time frame is just whatever it ends up.

Sprinters on the 3500 chassis built after about 2010 tend to have a 5,000 pound towing capacity which is the same as most gas class A coaches. Sprinters build before then tend to have a 3,500 pound towing capacity, and I think some are as little as 2,000-2,500 pounds.

p.s. we have a 28 ft gas class A, and traveled 60-70 nights per year without a TOAD car for about 5 years /20,000 miles before getting a TOAD about 4 years / 7,000 miles ago, as we found we were spending too much time sitting around at destination campgrounds instead of seeing the sights. Having said that I took a circa 1,000 mile round trip solo trip in October to see the Annular solar eclipse in Texas without a TOAD, and rather enjoyed the improved access to things being able to back into parking spaces, etc on travel days, so there is a trade off both ways.

I'd have to look at some more brochures, but I checked a 2018 Sprinter based View. It has a GCWR of 15,250 and a GVWR of 11,030. Might have a 5000 pound hitch, but I think you'd have a hard time keeping the weight of the motorhome to only 10,250 pounds to be able to stay under the GCWR.

Last edited:
I towed a Suzuki sidekick behind my sprinter, 2014 model. No issues with towing and enjoyed the versatility for sight seeing and for extra cargo space.

We live in SW CO and tow a trailer with two ATVs. Had a 2018 22' Forester Class C on a Mercedes chassis. I hated it! If you plan on towing in the mountains, I would not recommend it. Just not enough power. If you are towing on flat highways at low altitude, it might be OK. We traded it in for a 2021 Jayco 22C on a Chevy 4500 chassis. Big Chevy gas V-8 has plenty of power to pull mountain grades. Mercede diesel had better MPG, but if you figure in the cost per gallon of diesel vs. cost per gallon for gas, it might be a wash. Another factor was the closest Mercedes dealer if we needed work done was 270 miles away in Denver. Something to consider if you travel in areas with no major city nearby.

We live in SW CO and tow a trailer with two ATVs. Had a 2018 22' Forester Class C on a Mercedes chassis. I hated it! If you plan on towing in the mountains, I would not recommend it. Just not enough power. If you are towing on flat highways at low altitude, it might be OK. We traded it in for a 2021 Jayco 22C on a Chevy 4500 chassis. Big Chevy gas V-8 has plenty of power to pull mountain grades. Mercede diesel had better MPG, but if you figure in the cost per gallon of diesel vs. cost per gallon for gas, it might be a wash. Another factor was the closest Mercedes dealer if we needed work done was 270 miles away in Denver. Something to consider if you travel in areas with no major city nearby.
Thanks everyone
We probably are going to rule out the Sprinter based MH’s . They are nice but maybe just too small & underpowered for how we will have to be equiped

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom