Metal detecting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fulltiming

Base is in Louisiana... but most time we could be
Has anyone used a metal detector and have you ever found anything except junk?

This is something that has interested me for quite a few years but didn?t want to spend the money on a detector or take up room in our basement compartments if this idea was a dumb one.  :-\

So, can anyone give me information on what they have, or if this is just another one of my pipe dreams?

Thanks  :)

I have known a number of people absolutely addicted to it. The ones I know have found "interesting treasure" but none have found a fortune.

I never had an interest in it, but have come into a couple of cheap metal detectors, over the years. When I lose something of value, and have a general idea as to where, I put in new batteries and go hunting. I have been very successful at finding stuff we lost. That has included metal jewelry, coins, nuts, screws and bolts. Includes my DW's wedding ring, a couple of times.

Back when I was into archery, I used one of them to find arrows, lost in the grass. Found our arrows, and other peoples arrows as well. Hardly needed to buy arrows.

Fun, finding that stuff, but it hasn't grabbed my interest as a hobby. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ray D  ;D

Okay, I'm not starting a new topic on Metal detecting.  I have a White 500-D.  I don't use it much any more.  I have enjoyed it a lot though.  It is more fun to have a partner who has his/her own detector to hunt with.  I have found many coins and a few other things.  My detector is old now but still in good condition and still out smarts me.  I remember once in Quincy, Florida I found a 1/2 dollar piece about 6 inches deep.  It was mented in the year my brother was born.  He, hunting along with me aslo found a 1/2 dollar piece probably about the same depth.  Coincidentally it was mented the year I was born.  We swaped.  We had a good day and was very satisfied with the total finds.

I also don't leave home without mine.  I take 2 with me on each trip.  A White's Prism V and a Fisher 1280X totally waterproof unit for using in the surf.  The White cost in the $400 range.  The Fisher is over $1000.  As with anything, you get what you pay for.

On short camping trips I search the playgrounds (kids lose lots of coins  ;D), anywhere there may be concession stands, etc.  After campers depart their site, I do a search.  Find some interesting stuff.  Of course be prepared to find pull tabs also.  I pick them all up and deposit them in the trash.

I have found jewelry, coins, sinkers, toys, hooks, trash, unexploded ordnance on a military base, and here on our farm I dug up a 1920 Dog Tag License.

We became friends with a couple from CT last Oct at Myrtle Beach.  This guy is retired and is a serious hunter.  In 2007 he found over $70,000 in jewelry in the surf.  He uses wet suits and water proof detection equipment.  No diving, just works the surf.

I get up early, my DW sleeps in.  I go detect while she's sleeping.  Have fun with your detecting.

Oh man ,lol. You have to get a metal detector. I found a silver quarter. Three silver dimes. A civil war bullet. Tons of wheats. There's a website like this one called Tresurenet all one word. Umm one thing I woudn't get a Bounty Hunter " they suck ".

We have a Garret Ace 250 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00095ODBI?ie=UTF8&tag=rvou-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00095ODBI ) and a pinpointer.  We love ours!  We have found everything from common pull-tabs to diamond earrings.  Lots of coins (new and old), bullets, belt buckles, knives and much more.  Here's a picture of the detector on its mount in the camper...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tgDLGYlm15kqKAN9I0YTUA?feat=directlink

And here's a shot of me and the grand daughter headed off to find untold treasures!
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YopXlT1_5XfBH1AC787KmA?feat=directlink

Back
Top Bottom