Michelin Tire Discount Program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Getting Old

AS a precaution have decided to replace my tires and would like a tutorial on the the FMCA tire discount program.  Mainly where do you go who knows what you are talking about.

Don G. WIT 70041

Assuming you are an FMCA member, that info is on their website at https://www.fmca.com/michelin-advantage-program-instructions-for-members.html

You find the list of Michelin RV dealers on the MichelinRVtires.com website, but you need to ask the dealer himself if he participatea in the Michelin Advantage Program. If they don't know what you are talking about, call another dealer.

Wow.  Great information.  We are members of WIT but didn't know about the tire discount program.  Anyone have a ballpark of how much the discount is?

The Michelin club discount was matched by Discount Tire, plus a $75 rebate.  We decided to use Discount Tire.  They are located in many areas around the country.  Same tire.

I live on the outskirts of the 3rd largest city in California but would need to travel almost to San Francisco to get a listed dealer I don't need the agravation of driving in some of the nastiest traffic for a few bucks.  Will look closer to home. As always good advice on this forum.

Don G. WIT 70041

FWIW I called several tire dealers and asked if they participated in the FMCA fleet discount program. After visiting a couple by car and ruling them out (for various reasons), I called a truck tire dealer in Modesto, CA an hour from home, and was told they participate in multiple fleet programs, including the FMCA/Michelin one. They checked date codes in their inventory while I was on the phone, and I made an appointment. In the intervening days, they sent a truck/van to the Michelin warehouse in Reno and picked up newer tires without me asking.

I had no reason to navigate SF traffic.

Meanwhile, the driver hasn't been too happy with the ride on the Michelins, but I fine tuned the inflation pressure, which made her a little happier.

Tom, which line of Michelin's did you get?  We got the new line "X line Energy Z" tires  and with Centermatic balance disk this spring love the smooth quiet ride.  Even noticed a better/quieter ride over the XZA-3"s.

Sorry to nitpick, but it's the Michelin Advantage Fleet Discount Program and not unique to FMCA or any other organization. If you ask a dealer about an FMCA program, they may not recognize it by that name. Michelin just agreed to designate all FMCA members as a "fleet" under the terms of their Advantage program (and the same for WIT and a couple other groups).

You can use the Michelin dealer locator to find dealers who participate in the Advantage program. They are indicated by the red flags on the locator map at http://www.michelintruck.com/tools/dealer-locator/#/

I don't see a lot of them, though.  Some high volume commercial dealers may be able to match the Advantage price, or come close to it.  For example, one of my local truck tire dealers buys a couple tire sizes by the truckload to service one of his customers (a supermarket chain), and can match any price on that particular size and brand. By the way, that fleet does NOT use Michelin tires - they choose Continental.

According to the truck tire dealer I dealt with, Michelin actually has numerous fleet programs, all with different criteria, but I don't recall which or how many were called "Advantage". I do recall that payment was made (or supposed to be made) via FMCA. The gal in the office was confused by the different programs, and erroneously ran my credit card before the manager could correct/stop her.

Edit: Hoping to save some driving time, I stopped at one Less Schwab tire dealership and asked if they participated in the program. The guy made a phone call and was told that they're not allowed to participate in the program. I don't know if this was Schwab corporate ruling or a Michelin one.

Yes, FMCA (or WIT or whomever) is the "fleet" that gets the discount, so payment to Michelin actually comes through them. That's how Michelin identifies the fleet purchases as opposed to the guy in the street.

Here is the WIT Club procedure for the Advantage program:
http://witclub.com/images/media/Michelin_Advantage_Program_Instructions.pdf

You can view the FMCA-Michelin program overview without logging in, but access to the the details requires you to join FMCA first. Overview at https://www.fmca.com/benefits/michelin-advantage.html

Tom said:
According to the truck tire dealer I dealt with, Michelin actually has numerous fleet programs, all with different criteria, but I don't recall which or how many were called "Advantage". I do recall that payment was made (or supposed to be made) via FMCA. The gal in the office was confused by the different programs, and erroneously ran my credit card before the manager could correct/stop her.

Edit: Hoping to save some driving time, I stopped at one Less Schwab tire dealership and asked if participated in the program. The guy made a phone call and was told that they're not allowed to participate in the program. I don't know if this was Schwab corporate ruling or a Michelin one.

Les Schwab in Junction City, OR (Dickerson Tire) does participate in the Michelin Advantage program. I bought my last set of tires there in 2014

Les Schwab in Junction City, OR (Dickerson Tire) does participate in the Michelin Advantage program.

Good to know Ken. I wonder if it was a regional restriction; I vaguely recall the Schwab guy saying he called his regional manager, but who knows where/how they draw their regional boundaries. I'll ask again next time I'm in or near a Schwab outlet (we have 3 outlets within a 20 mile radius from home).

Tom said:
Good to know Ken. I wonder if it was a regional restriction; I vaguely recall the Schwab guy saying he called his regional manager, but who knows where/how they draw their regional boundaries. I'll ask again next time I'm in or near a Schwab outlet (we have 3 outlets within a 20 mile radius from home).

Tom,
I looked at Les Schwab's site and they don't list the Junction City store. The I looked at Bob Dickman Tire and it says they are a Les Schwas "Dealer". So I don't think this is a company owned store and most of the rest appear to be company owned. probably a story in there somewhere.

Anyway they specialize in RV tires and are part of the Michelin program, but probably the rest of Les Cchwab does not participate. Remember Junction City was home to Country Coach and the original Monaco Factory.

Thanks Ken.

Remember Junction City was home to Country Coach and the original Monaco Factory.

I knew about Country Coach in JC, but didn't realize there was a Monaco factory there. Is this the place that became their "paint shop"?

Tom said:
Thanks Ken.

I knew about Country Coach in JC, but didn't realize there was a Monaco factory there. Is this the place that became their "paint shop"?

Monaco was actually just next door to Country Coach. After Monaco moved to the new plant in Coburg, Country Coach took over the Monaco plant. Now it is Premier RV Storage and service.

ken

Monaco was actually just next door to Country Coach.

Ah, didn't know about that one.

Is this the place that became their "paint shop"?

When I asked that, I was thinking of a plant they had somewhere near the end of Diamond Hill, some miles past the Harrisburg service center. Only went there once (didn't stay long), so I was a little foggy on whether this was still Harrisburg or the fringes of Junction City. Looking at Google maps, it's too far from JC, and is probably Harrisburg or Lancaster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom