Michelins,Costco, great price! Wont guarantee dot date

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frederick

Costo, $2,387 out the door on 245-70-19.5 Michelins, but won't
guarantee if they will be under 12 months of mfg.

Now what? :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Your choice, you will likely still get 6+ years out of them or pay more at another retailer who will make an effort to get fresher tires!!

All  it says is they won't make the effort to get the ones you want from their warehouse and they likely don't sell a lot of that size.

Or you can tell them to prorate the tires, since you have lost a year of use on them.  The cost would then be $2046.  See how they would like that.

A dealer simply orders tires from the Michelin distribution center - they have no control over what dates they get. Any dealer in your area is probably ordering from the same Michelin warehouse, so you run the same risk. However, IMO the odds of them being more than a 12 months old are very, very slim. 6-12 months is fairly common, though. If you are ok with that, you can probably go ahead.

The tire manufacturer makes them in batches by size. A popular size is being made all the time and will likely have a "fresh" date. A less popular size may be manufactured just once in awhile, e.g. every three months or maybe even just once a year.

Can you get a refund on the tires if you don't like the dates when they come in?

Gary's right about the chances of getting newish date codes being high if the dealer orders from the Michelin warehouse. In my case, the dealer told me he had Michelins in stock with a 6-month old date code. I called him the next day to say I was coming to buy them, but he told me that he'd decided to have his truck pick up "fresh" tires from the warehouse He also called me back to tell me the date codes on the "fresh" tires. Unfortunately, Costco isn't going to do that, and you get what you get.

I recently had two  295/80 R22.5 Michelin's put on the front of the motorhome. Purcell's in Fernley, NV pulled them from the Michelin warehouse in Reno. Date week 11, 2012. Purchased under the FMCA program. If they come from a Michelin warehouse they will probably be relatively fresh. If the come from a distributor or tire dealer warehouse they could be any date.

Does that price include mounting and balancing? If so it is a great price, if not the FMCA program could be less.

ken

I went thru that with goodyear dealer, when I asked to check tire dates we went to his warehouse and found tires that were three years old that he wanted to put on. The may be just fine but If I were to sell it, then it looks bad. How would I convince a buyer that they were new tires when the date is three years back. I backed out and still running my old toyo's.

Fred, I called the Costco in Tacoma for prices and told them 60 days or newer. They said no problem, all they had to do was request that when they placed the order from the warehouse. Rv'ers are the only ones that really care as other vehicles wear out the tires from use so 6 mo either way don't matter. If they won't guarantee the date go elsewhere.
You might also call Discount Tire as they will match or beat the price. Even if they can't install them they will sell them but I think they can do your 19.5's and they will guarantee the date.

Back
Top Bottom